Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB Piece Of Engine Tin, See Pic Of Where It Goes
Ansbacher
post May 9 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,589

My '74 2.0 L is missing a piece of engine tin that had been removed when the car had A/C. Pic shows what's missing. You are looking at the far forward passenger side of the engine compartment. That rectangular bracket is what the A/C compressor used to sit on. Engine tin confuses me, so I am not sure if a whole section is missing or something was cut. Anyone have a spare piece for sale that could correct this cavity? Temporarily, I have been using a faux piece that I fashioned but I'd like to get this back to normal. Thanks, Ansbacher.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post May 9 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 9 2019, 07:32 PM) *

My '74 2.0 L is missing a piece of engine tin that had been removed when the car had A/C. Pic shows what's missing. You are looking at the far forward passenger side of the engine compartment. That rectangular bracket is what the A/C compressor used to sit on. Engine tin confuses me, so I am not sure if a whole section is missing or something was cut. Anyone have a spare piece for sale that could correct this cavity? Temporarily, I have been using a faux piece that I fashioned but I'd like to get this back to normal. Thanks, Ansbacher.

Attached Image

It was chopped out by the original dealer when the AC was installed. You need to look for a right side cylinder shroud from a non-AC car. The replacement section seems to me like a good part for Restoration Design to make. If they could make a bolt in one then it seems to me they could ask almost any amount for it.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 9 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 9 2019, 09:32 PM) *

Man I'm going thru this right now too. Actually you'll be needing 2 pieces of tin:
1) the long section [only] under/in-front of the fan housing (any year will work)
2) the main top section [spark plugs mount thru it] (you'll need 2.0L specifically)

Keep an eye out, some have the 2.0L tins.. I have a forum member sending me the universal long section in front of the fan for the cost of shipping (what a great forum!)..and I had a local practically give me the top/side (spark plug/wing) section FROM A 1.7/1.8 engine. The tin from the 1.7/1.8 contain an overlay section at the upper corner - and this is what was cut off of our 2.0L tins for AC. I've pryed/popped spot welds and removed that section, hammered/dolly it straight - and will be grafting it onto my original 2.0L wing tin (plug weld or pop rivets). That's just an option if you can't find 2.0L top/wing tin. Good luck.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Specracer
post May 10 2019, 04:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,970
Region Association: None

Perhaps you could fab up a piece that uses the compressor bracket to attach? Having refinished the tins when the engine was out (and it was still a wrestling match, as I didn't have engine fully stripped), I cant imagine trying to do this with engine in the car (but I'm a relative rookie on these cars).

And boy the camera angle sure makes it look like your positive terminal is going to touch your battery tray.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 10 2019, 06:55 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Man I hate these A/C conversions. What butchery. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

I have similar need for tin due to previous A/C install. I've found the front fan lower section. Haven't found someone willing to just sell a right side 2.0L cylinder tin yet.

I'm considering buying the more common 1.7L/1.8L tin and then using that as donor sheetmetal to repair my existing tin.

The other thing that you may not have noticed is you also need the right side engine shelf that is attached to the body; that was cut also. Same for mine. That is not a bolt on repair though I have seen cars with a piece fabricated and bolted on rather being welded in as it should be.

Plan on dropping the engine. It will be quicker than trying to do either of the above with the engine in the car.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post May 10 2019, 12:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,589

Thanks all for the analysis and advice. Looks like others here are in the same boat and we all want the tins that are out there. Oh well, guess I'll fabricate a better faux piece than I have now and do it insitu.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
914werke
post May 10 2019, 03:37 PM
Post #7

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) the Tin is the easy part the shelf repair, not so much.
IMO the 1.7/1.8 tin donor is the way to go. 2.0L top tins are hard to find by themselves
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 10 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

No one wants to breakup a 2.0 set. The mess at the front of the car will make you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) .
+Quote Post
Literati914
post May 10 2019, 09:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

hey Ansbacher, I sent you a PM. I may have a line on a set.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:45 PM