Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB Piece Of Engine Tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Ansbacher
My '74 2.0 L is missing a piece of engine tin that had been removed when the car had A/C. Pic shows what's missing. You are looking at the far forward passenger side of the engine compartment. That rectangular bracket is what the A/C compressor used to sit on. Engine tin confuses me, so I am not sure if a whole section is missing or something was cut. Anyone have a spare piece for sale that could correct this cavity? Temporarily, I have been using a faux piece that I fashioned but I'd like to get this back to normal. Thanks, Ansbacher.

Click to view attachment
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 9 2019, 07:32 PM) *

My '74 2.0 L is missing a piece of engine tin that had been removed when the car had A/C. Pic shows what's missing. You are looking at the far forward passenger side of the engine compartment. That rectangular bracket is what the A/C compressor used to sit on. Engine tin confuses me, so I am not sure if a whole section is missing or something was cut. Anyone have a spare piece for sale that could correct this cavity? Temporarily, I have been using a faux piece that I fashioned but I'd like to get this back to normal. Thanks, Ansbacher.

Click to view attachment

It was chopped out by the original dealer when the AC was installed. You need to look for a right side cylinder shroud from a non-AC car. The replacement section seems to me like a good part for Restoration Design to make. If they could make a bolt in one then it seems to me they could ask almost any amount for it.
Literati914
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ May 9 2019, 09:32 PM) *

Man I'm going thru this right now too. Actually you'll be needing 2 pieces of tin:
1) the long section [only] under/in-front of the fan housing (any year will work)
2) the main top section [spark plugs mount thru it] (you'll need 2.0L specifically)

Keep an eye out, some have the 2.0L tins.. I have a forum member sending me the universal long section in front of the fan for the cost of shipping (what a great forum!)..and I had a local practically give me the top/side (spark plug/wing) section FROM A 1.7/1.8 engine. The tin from the 1.7/1.8 contain an overlay section at the upper corner - and this is what was cut off of our 2.0L tins for AC. I've pryed/popped spot welds and removed that section, hammered/dolly it straight - and will be grafting it onto my original 2.0L wing tin (plug weld or pop rivets). That's just an option if you can't find 2.0L top/wing tin. Good luck.
Specracer
Perhaps you could fab up a piece that uses the compressor bracket to attach? Having refinished the tins when the engine was out (and it was still a wrestling match, as I didn't have engine fully stripped), I cant imagine trying to do this with engine in the car (but I'm a relative rookie on these cars).

And boy the camera angle sure makes it look like your positive terminal is going to touch your battery tray.
Superhawk996
chair.gif

Man I hate these A/C conversions. What butchery. ar15.gif

I have similar need for tin due to previous A/C install. I've found the front fan lower section. Haven't found someone willing to just sell a right side 2.0L cylinder tin yet.

I'm considering buying the more common 1.7L/1.8L tin and then using that as donor sheetmetal to repair my existing tin.

The other thing that you may not have noticed is you also need the right side engine shelf that is attached to the body; that was cut also. Same for mine. That is not a bolt on repair though I have seen cars with a piece fabricated and bolted on rather being welded in as it should be.

Plan on dropping the engine. It will be quicker than trying to do either of the above with the engine in the car.
Ansbacher
Thanks all for the analysis and advice. Looks like others here are in the same boat and we all want the tins that are out there. Oh well, guess I'll fabricate a better faux piece than I have now and do it insitu.

Ansbacher
914werke
agree.gif the Tin is the easy part the shelf repair, not so much.
IMO the 1.7/1.8 tin donor is the way to go. 2.0L top tins are hard to find by themselves
rhodyguy
No one wants to breakup a 2.0 set. The mess at the front of the car will make you headbang.gif WTF.gif .
Literati914
hey Ansbacher, I sent you a PM. I may have a line on a set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.