Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 911S strut assemblies, Inserts don't fit
framos914
post May 16 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,353
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 12:09 PM) *

your missing some pieces,,ie still in tube..

Thanks for that picture, might be that round piece at left is still in the tube. Any Ideas on how to get it out? Hope to avoid removing the whole strut assy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 16 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #22

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(framos914 @ May 16 2019, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2019, 12:09 PM) *

your missing some pieces,,ie still in tube..

Thanks for that picture, might be that round piece at left is still in the tube. Any Ideas on how to get it out? Hope to avoid removing the whole strut assy.

magnet and thump strut with plastic hammer
+Quote Post
framos914
post May 16 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 17,353
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image
Thanks again, that was it! Got those inserts in. Used a magnet and brought it right out. The mechanic should have tried the magnet.
Last question, intructions show 50ml of oil in housing. What is the best oil to use? Picure on instructions shows what looks looks like a snowflake.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 16 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Question: Some friends told me I ought to put some type of coolant in my strut housing before I install the insert. What are they talking about?

Answer: It's a good idea, particularly if the car is tracked, to put a the strut tube prior to installing the insert. You can use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze or hydraulic oil. Many inserts that you remove prior to installing your Koni's, will leave hydraulic oil in the tube. You can use this oil or the antifreeze mix. You'll want the coolant level to be about 2/3 of the way up the insert. It won't take much fluid because the insert will displace most of it. Use the dipstick method to check the level of the fluid. A paper towel can be used to soak up excess if needed. Never run straight water in the tube as if may freeze and collapse your insert.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 17 2019, 01:36 AM
Post #25

914 Wizard

Question: What a rip, my 911 has original Koni struts and many places are telling me the only thing I can install are hydraulic, standard adjustable Koni inserts. Seems strange that I have the wiz bang original Koni strut and I can't even use Koni's externally adjustable gas insert.

Answer: This used to be true. We were able to modify the gas insert to fit original Koni struts (at extra cost) but recently Koni made everyone's life much easier. A change in the design of the insert will now allow you to utilize the externally adjustable gas insert in your original Koni strut. You do have to use the correct production date insert though.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:41 PM