Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tips on getting the first gear teeth off?
Tdskip
post Jun 3 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Hold on a sec - I think what I shared last week was wrong.

The splitter should not go down low but I think instead it mounts at the top in the grove, no?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 3 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #22

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Stop even thinking about using that tool to remove a set of dog teeth.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jun 3 2019, 09:23 PM
Post #23

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 3 2019, 06:08 PM) *

Hold on a sec - I think what I shared last week was wrong.

The splitter should not go down low but I think instead it mounts at the top in the grove, no?

Flip the tool over let the flat part hold the groove, you want as much surface area as possible, and the wedge side is asking to slip off. Also, you want to tighten it snug not too tight that it’s squeezing, you just want it to hold the dog teeth. This should work if you’re careful. Watch with protective eye/face gear for even lift, slippage, and cracking, I’ve had them shatter under pressure.

While I echo other sentiments of using the right too for the job, and your chances of ruining parts (or hurting youself) is higher with a one size fits all compromise tool, but the actual Porsche recommended tools are not always perfect.

Long story short, the “porsche tool” by sir tools for the 930 dog teeth is wrong, and after providing detailed description of the proper design, photos, measurements and sketches, along with the proper use and care using a press rather than the suggested BFH - yes that how he told me to get them off, the idiot at sir tools (the son and current owner) finally confessed that he had never seen a set of the dog teeth in person, nor had he ever used the tool to verify his instructions would work.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 4 2019, 07:23 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

This gets better and better.
Even with the right tools this is a job better left to someone with the right tools and experience. Maybe there is someone local you can contact ? or send to ?
That said...removal can be done with VERY careful grinding to remove tension.... but
still not recommended.
Installation also has its difficulties.....you need a hotplate, a freezer, a good
sturdy press and press plates.
No hammers.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:00 AM