Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on getting the first gear teeth off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys-happy Friday. I was hoping to get some coaching on how to get the dog teeth off this first gear Assembly, they are incredibly worn down. No wonder the box jumped at it first
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are special press tools OR cut it off

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 17 2019, 04:24 PM) *

Hi guys-happy Friday. I was hoping to get some coaching on how to get the teeth off this first gear Assembly, they are incredibly worn down. No wonder the box jumped at it first

KevinW
I used a wood chisel, I was able to get underneath the dog teeth
Front yard mechanic
I also used a wood chisel to find my datum line
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, I’ve been reluctant to go to hard after it because I don’t want to damage the larger piece but let me see if I can cut a relief into it and get it off that way.

It looks like the new one just presses into place and has a mechanical tension fit?
Valy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 17 2019, 06:40 PM) *

Thanks gentlemen, I’ve been reluctant to go to hard after it because I don’t want to damage the larger piece but let me see if I can cut a relief into it and get it off that way.

It looks like the new one just presses into place and has a mechanical tension fit?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0722LW5RW/r...=UTF8&psc=1
Chi-town
^^ this is the proper tool
Tdskip
Thanks for the link-always good to have a reason to buy a new tool.

So I’m assuming that that has a lip which catches the outside of the dog teeth to pull it out and away from the rest of the gear?
Tdskip
Ordered it - any of the local SoCal 914 mafia is welcome to borrow it as helpful.
Montreal914
Propably too late... P225 tool.

Click to view attachment

Part of the tool list you need to rebuild your gearbox. Add Dr Evil's video and have fun. smash.gif

Good luck with your project beerchug.gif
Tdskip
Thanks - looks like a quite different design than the other one.
Tdskip
Good morning.

I am assuming this is NOT the correct way to do this? OR - is this correct but just too small (threads don’t extend past the opening on this size).

Am I supposed to be compressing the center?

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
You really need the tool shown above or a well made facsimile. The tooth rings can be broken easily because of the metal hardness if the loads aren't spread out across the entire circumference of the ring.
Tdskip
Hi Chris - thanks for the response.

The dog teeth on there are scrap so not very concerned about saving them, but are you saying the main gear might be damaged too?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 31 2019, 10:50 AM) *

Hi Chris - thanks for the response.

The dog teeth on there are scrap so not very concerned about saving them, but are you saying the main gear might be damaged too?

That gear spreader will almost surely damage the main gear if you try to force it between the tooth ring and the gear.
Tdskip
Yikes.

So how does the proper Porsche tool will work so how does the proper Porsche tool work? It’s not jumping out at me on how it would separate the dog teeth from the main gear.

Thanks
Montreal914
Post #10 biggrin.gif

First, get Dr Evil's video, get a beer and enjoy the first watching.
Then get the tools and parts.
Finally, bring the laptop to the garage, cover it with saran wrap, hit play/pause and rebuild along!

Good luck with your fun and rewarding project! beerchug.gif smash.gif
Tdskip
I am assuming that took holds the dog teeth and he you press the main gear down and away?
Montreal914
Look at this video...
at 3 minutes, he starts to use the tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5e2qlcZWZs

How's the rest of the box? 1st -2nd dogteeth and 1st slider, 2-3rd slider?

What are you using for gasket to close back up the box? The thickness has an influence on the pinion depth for the final drive.

Again, no affiliation, but the Dr. video has a lot of very good information. Just saying... poke.gif
76-914
I used to loan my tool out. The last time I loaned it out was the last time, too. He loaned it to a, get this, 914 mechanic who proceeded to strip the synchronizers off his stock pile of gears. ar15.gif Of course it came back with hammer marks all over it. headbang.gif I don't blame the kid that originally borrowed it as he was young and working for the guy. What was he going to tell his Boss; NO? Some people. Anyway, that professional 914 mechanic went out of business 2 years later. Gee, I wonder why? lol-2.gif Rant over.
Tdskip
Hold on a sec - I think what I shared last week was wrong.

The splitter should not go down low but I think instead it mounts at the top in the grove, no?

ChrisFoley
Stop even thinking about using that tool to remove a set of dog teeth.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 3 2019, 06:08 PM) *

Hold on a sec - I think what I shared last week was wrong.

The splitter should not go down low but I think instead it mounts at the top in the grove, no?

Flip the tool over let the flat part hold the groove, you want as much surface area as possible, and the wedge side is asking to slip off. Also, you want to tighten it snug not too tight that it’s squeezing, you just want it to hold the dog teeth. This should work if you’re careful. Watch with protective eye/face gear for even lift, slippage, and cracking, I’ve had them shatter under pressure.

While I echo other sentiments of using the right too for the job, and your chances of ruining parts (or hurting youself) is higher with a one size fits all compromise tool, but the actual Porsche recommended tools are not always perfect.

Long story short, the “porsche tool” by sir tools for the 930 dog teeth is wrong, and after providing detailed description of the proper design, photos, measurements and sketches, along with the proper use and care using a press rather than the suggested BFH - yes that how he told me to get them off, the idiot at sir tools (the son and current owner) finally confessed that he had never seen a set of the dog teeth in person, nor had he ever used the tool to verify his instructions would work.
rgalla9146
This gets better and better.
Even with the right tools this is a job better left to someone with the right tools and experience. Maybe there is someone local you can contact ? or send to ?
That said...removal can be done with VERY careful grinding to remove tension.... but
still not recommended.
Installation also has its difficulties.....you need a hotplate, a freezer, a good
sturdy press and press plates.
No hammers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.