Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Engine gone pop!
Ben Nichols
post May 27 2019, 05:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,873
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Hi All

Me again..........

So, was taking the car to have the carbs set up this morning, got about a mile and a half and it stopped. Started popping and then one final pop/fart noise and it died.

The AA (recovery guys in the UK) came and found no spark. He thought the distributor had failed - removed it and it seemed fine. Then he thought maybe the distributor drive gear - we removed that and it seems fine, the gears are good, it seats properly. We did get a spark but not a reliable one.

He thinks it could be the drive gear on the crankshaft that has failed and the lack of drive is causing the problem to the drive gear and on to the distributor........

My questions I guess are:

1. Is this likely/possible? Would it just fail with no warning?
2. How is it possible to check, or isn't it?
3. It sounds like a full strip down again.......tell me its not although I am pretty sure it is
4. Any other explanation for the fault.........?

Any help appreciated - I was planning on taking the car to Le Mans in 3 weeks which looks unlikely......

Thanks

Ben
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:59 PM