Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition Switch, and signal / wiper switches SOLVED
Specracer
post May 30 2019, 04:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,970
Region Association: None

Help please.... Car is a 73. 2 questions, cant seem to get the ignition assembly out to change the switch. I have everything off, turning the key to the "run" position your supposed to just pull, its not coming out (the lock set from the column assembly). I did not find a spring (mentioned in a Pelican tech article. What am I doing wrong?

Next q, I was cleaning the turn signal / wiper switch assembly, and this piece fell out. I have zero idea where it came from, but I have a feeling its important.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post May 30 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

That tab grounds the wipers switch. It's external to the switch and will fall of when you remove the switch.
It goes on one of the 4 mounting screws but can't remember which one. Just try to fit it back, you'll probably get it.

Looking at it again, I'm 90% sure it goes on the corner facing the camera in your picture. The tab with the hole is down and the other side goes through a small slot into the switch to make ground contact.
Kind of take the tab in the position of the lower picture and fit it as is on the screw closest to the camera in the top picture.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 31 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Specracer
post May 31 2019, 08:37 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 20,970

Got it, and after all of that, correct me if Im wrong, this tab must be for a feature this car doesn't have, as it does not seem to make a connection with anything. Found a picture of a tab coming across to make contact. Intermittent wiper perhaps?

Got the switch / cylinder out too, had to get in behind and tap it out, after soaking with penetrating oil from the front. I wiggled and pulled had enough I was worried about breaking off the plastic part of the key. New PORSCHE switch seems to get the car to turn over now easily vs having to force the key far over into the start position.

Thank you for the help!!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 31 2019, 08:57 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Are those tabs available anywhere? Mine is missing.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:44 PM