Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition Switch, and signal / wiper switches SOLVED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Specracer
Help please.... Car is a 73. 2 questions, cant seem to get the ignition assembly out to change the switch. I have everything off, turning the key to the "run" position your supposed to just pull, its not coming out (the lock set from the column assembly). I did not find a spring (mentioned in a Pelican tech article. What am I doing wrong?

Next q, I was cleaning the turn signal / wiper switch assembly, and this piece fell out. I have zero idea where it came from, but I have a feeling its important.
Valy
That tab grounds the wipers switch. It's external to the switch and will fall of when you remove the switch.
It goes on one of the 4 mounting screws but can't remember which one. Just try to fit it back, you'll probably get it.

Looking at it again, I'm 90% sure it goes on the corner facing the camera in your picture. The tab with the hole is down and the other side goes through a small slot into the switch to make ground contact.
Kind of take the tab in the position of the lower picture and fit it as is on the screw closest to the camera in the top picture.
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
Specracer
Got it, and after all of that, correct me if Im wrong, this tab must be for a feature this car doesn't have, as it does not seem to make a connection with anything. Found a picture of a tab coming across to make contact. Intermittent wiper perhaps?

Got the switch / cylinder out too, had to get in behind and tap it out, after soaking with penetrating oil from the front. I wiggled and pulled had enough I was worried about breaking off the plastic part of the key. New PORSCHE switch seems to get the car to turn over now easily vs having to force the key far over into the start position.

Thank you for the help!!
bbrock
Are those tabs available anywhere? Mine is missing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.