Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> not quite aligned, rotor, flywheel, fan, irritated
r3dplanet
post May 30 2019, 09:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Hey gang,

I'm very, very slowly getting my 914 together with a newly built 1911cc engine that I did not build, but for which I did spec and purchase all the parts.

I had two friends come and install the engine and gearbox and that went well. It was easy because I sat there and drooled while they did the work.

But here I am trying to get the timing sorted, like an idiot. Because nothing makes sense any more can some gentleman walk me through my fault?

The scoop:

The fan is at the zero mark. The flywheel mark is visible from the TOP of the gearbox. The #1 valves wiggle a little. The pushrods may or may not be stainless so they don't wiggle much. But more than when I'm 180 out.

The rotor does not point to the #1 cylinder. Instead if 12 o'clock is in the forward direction of the car, the rotor points to 10 o'clock, exactly 90 degrees clockwise from where it should point.

For kicks I just rotated the distributor (an SVDA) 90 degrees clockwise to follow suit, but it won't fire. My guess is that the distributor gear is off kilter by a tooth or two.

Maybe someone can reassure me by telling me that the fan and flywheel can only mount in one possible orientation?

gargle fargle

Sorry for the lazy brains.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iankarr
post May 30 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

There's a lot to unpack in your post and I'm not an engine expert. However, I do know that that position of the distributor is relative. The engine only cares that the firing order is correct...not how the distributor is oriented (save for timing adjustments). So...try putting the dizzy back to that 10 o'clock position and move the # 1 plug wire to the terminal the rotor points to when you're at TDC (zero fan and flywheel marks). Then add the other wires 4-3-2, clockwise. Essentially, you're just rotating the wire positions to compensate for the offset. My first 914 was set up like that and it ran perfectly. Good luck!
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 31 2019, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 31 2019, 12:36 AM) *

There's a lot to unpack in your post and I'm not an engine expert. However, I do know that that position of the distributor is relative. The engine only cares that the firing order is correct...not how the distributor is oriented (save for timing adjustments). So...try putting the dizzy back to that 10 o'clock position and move the # 1 plug wire to the terminal the rotor points to when you're at TDC (zero fan and flywheel marks). Then add the other wires 4-3-2, clockwise. Essentially, you're just rotating the wire positions to compensate for the offset. My first 914 was set up like that and it ran perfectly. Good luck!

Yes !

OR verify TDC valves closed #1
Lift and rotate dizzy drive gear to allow dizzy to drop in with rotor pointed
to # 1 on cap.
the difficult part of my method is grabbing and lifting the drive piece.
a 'reverse' pliers or circlip pliers will do it.
be careful with the washer on the bottom of the dizzy drive (attach with grease) and the spring on top

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post May 31 2019, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,741

Thanks for that. I got it to fire using the new 90 degree offset. But I'll buy a distributor gear puller and re-clock it.

Cheers.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:05 PM