Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not quite aligned
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Hey gang,

I'm very, very slowly getting my 914 together with a newly built 1911cc engine that I did not build, but for which I did spec and purchase all the parts.

I had two friends come and install the engine and gearbox and that went well. It was easy because I sat there and drooled while they did the work.

But here I am trying to get the timing sorted, like an idiot. Because nothing makes sense any more can some gentleman walk me through my fault?

The scoop:

The fan is at the zero mark. The flywheel mark is visible from the TOP of the gearbox. The #1 valves wiggle a little. The pushrods may or may not be stainless so they don't wiggle much. But more than when I'm 180 out.

The rotor does not point to the #1 cylinder. Instead if 12 o'clock is in the forward direction of the car, the rotor points to 10 o'clock, exactly 90 degrees clockwise from where it should point.

For kicks I just rotated the distributor (an SVDA) 90 degrees clockwise to follow suit, but it won't fire. My guess is that the distributor gear is off kilter by a tooth or two.

Maybe someone can reassure me by telling me that the fan and flywheel can only mount in one possible orientation?

gargle fargle

Sorry for the lazy brains.
iankarr
There's a lot to unpack in your post and I'm not an engine expert. However, I do know that that position of the distributor is relative. The engine only cares that the firing order is correct...not how the distributor is oriented (save for timing adjustments). So...try putting the dizzy back to that 10 o'clock position and move the # 1 plug wire to the terminal the rotor points to when you're at TDC (zero fan and flywheel marks). Then add the other wires 4-3-2, clockwise. Essentially, you're just rotating the wire positions to compensate for the offset. My first 914 was set up like that and it ran perfectly. Good luck!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 31 2019, 12:36 AM) *

There's a lot to unpack in your post and I'm not an engine expert. However, I do know that that position of the distributor is relative. The engine only cares that the firing order is correct...not how the distributor is oriented (save for timing adjustments). So...try putting the dizzy back to that 10 o'clock position and move the # 1 plug wire to the terminal the rotor points to when you're at TDC (zero fan and flywheel marks). Then add the other wires 4-3-2, clockwise. Essentially, you're just rotating the wire positions to compensate for the offset. My first 914 was set up like that and it ran perfectly. Good luck!

Yes !

OR verify TDC valves closed #1
Lift and rotate dizzy drive gear to allow dizzy to drop in with rotor pointed
to # 1 on cap.
the difficult part of my method is grabbing and lifting the drive piece.
a 'reverse' pliers or circlip pliers will do it.
be careful with the washer on the bottom of the dizzy drive (attach with grease) and the spring on top
r3dplanet
Thanks for that. I got it to fire using the new 90 degree offset. But I'll buy a distributor gear puller and re-clock it.

Cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.