Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cover for hole under Gas Tank and Seal around Steering column?, Wondering what fills the hole and gap
sketchc13
post Jun 5 2019, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,675
Region Association: Northern California

I have my gas tank out and under it there is a ~100mm hole on the passenger side and a gap around the boot where the steering column goes through the body on the way to the steering rack.

Is something missing? Coming from Wisconsin, the hole and gap are very inviting to garage invading squirrels to store their nuts and more in the fall and winter and it seems like something should go there....

Are there OE parts that go there or did any one fab something up for the hole and gap?

See attached pic... I have since cleaned up the surface rust.

Cheers,
AndrewAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jun 5 2019, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

no cover for both. the under pan covers it from below.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 5 2019, 12:52 PM
Post #3

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

That area stays open, however you can use the 914 Rubber welting as they came with something similar from the factory.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jun 6 2019, 12:06 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2019, 11:19 AM) *

Attached Image

..and, since we're on th subject, and I've been wondering this lately - can the fuel pump be mounted on the cross bar /rack (as some suggest), while using this stock under-cover ?

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 6 2019, 06:07 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Guitar hole cover from an instrument store.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 6 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #6

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Yes, you can mount it to the steering rack support, just make sure there's no contact with any moving parts.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 6 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

$6 a set
https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/1...t-bucket-wiring

Will protect those edges
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jun 6 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 6 2019, 08:07 AM) *

I don't think you want to seal those holes. I don't know if that's what was intended with those holes, but any fuel leaks (or fill overflow) would cause a build up of fuel in there. Better to leave it open to drain and allow lquids and fumes to escape.
+Quote Post
NS914
post Jun 6 2019, 09:21 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,455
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2019, 01:19 PM) *

I think I know the answer to this question but here goes....are those covers still available from anyone these days.....my car did not have one when I bought it.

Grant
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 6 2019, 09:26 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 6 2019, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 6 2019, 08:07 AM) *

I don't think you want to seal those holes. I don't know if that's what was intended with those holes, but any fuel leaks (or fill overflow) would cause a build up of fuel in there. Better to leave it open to drain and allow lquids and fumes to escape.

The large hole might help with fumes, but there is a slotted drain hole under the large hole next to where the fuel overfill tube exits so drainage is handled in those two locations. My slotted drain was plugged with undercoating which no doubt contributed to the rust repair I had to do in the fuel compartment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Make sure it's open while you're in there.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jun 6 2019, 09:26 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Bottom of pan has weep holes for drainage UNLESS they get plugged up with stuff.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 6 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

a screen would be great to mice out
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 6 2019, 01:55 PM
Post #13

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

I think I know the answer to this question but here goes....are those covers still available from anyone these days.....my car did not have one when I bought it.

post a wanted in the classifieds, there are plenty around
+Quote Post
sketchc13
post Jun 11 2019, 10:47 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,675
Region Association: Northern California

Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Anyway, mystery solve for me. Thanks!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 11 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

QUOTE(sketchc13 @ Jun 11 2019, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks Gents - no cover for the hole and a gap around the steering column boot to the bulkhead it is.

It just kinda surprises me thats the original solution cuz that steering rack cover doesn't really seal up the area from below. Definitely enough to keep the water and debris out, but not really dust and critters.

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2019, 12:21 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:06 PM) *

Well dangit, I was hoping you'd come up with a clever solution because I agree with you this is a problem. Where I live, leaving a car outside just 30 minutes after dark is guaranteed to get rodents in the car. I've been looking at those gaping mouse portals and wondering how to deal with them myself.

You can’t seal most cars against mice. They can get through a 1/4-1/2” opening.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 11 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 12:21 PM) *

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 11 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:51 PM) *

Yes, but that opening is particularly inviting. I'm a wildlife biologist and the shape and size of that area would make a darn good design for a nest box or shelter designed to attract many small mammals. I actually had a weasel living in that area of my car before I pulled my car out of hibernation. I like weasels, but less so in the car. I totally agree with the futility of making a car rodent "proof", but rodent "resistant" is doable.

Is there anything to put in or under the car that keeps them away, other than a cat.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jun 11 2019, 03:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

I try to keep the neighbor’s cat away from my garage because it goes In through our patio to garage. Maybe I will feed that cat so it will visit my garage regularly. Problem that cat sleeps on top of my boxster convertible and leaves some stains. huhuhu
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 11 2019, 05:35 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2019, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 11 2019, 02:51 PM) *

Is there anything to put in or under the car that keeps them away, other than a cat.

There are a few rodent repellents that can work but they don't last very long. I was using a product called Fresh Cab in my work truck that is always parked outside with good results for awhile. The stuff only remains effective for a month or two though and isn't cheap so I gave up and now my truck smells like mouse pee again. That was really asking too much from a repellent though. For a car stored inside, it would probably provide enough deterrent to keep the occasional mouse away.

Steel wool is excellent for plugging holes because rodents won't chew it, but of course, not good for nice cars where you'd rather prohibit rust than promote it. The two problems with cats are that they like to jump up on cars and they kill 1-4 billion birds in the U.S. every year so not an environmentally friendly form of pest control if allowed to run free. They're great inside garages and barns though.

Beyond a well-sealed building to store our cars in, I think just keeping seals in good shape and rust holes plugged so the mice at least have to work to get in the car is the most practical bet. Overall, I think our 914s are an excellent design from a rodent resistance standpoint. The only real problem spot I've seen is that stinkin' hole under the fuel tank. That's just a welcome mat for mice to set up shop in a spot that is a real PITA to clean out.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:41 PM