Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuching DJet issues *SOLVED*, Running out of things to try
BeatNavy
post Jul 6 2019, 04:36 AM
Post #41

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just to be clear, I believe there's only one setting (not adjustment) for TPS - it's either calibrated correctly or it is not. It is easiest to do it by removing it, but I have done it while still mounted on TB/plenum. I don't think that's your issue.

What curve are you using for the 1-2-3, and are you using advance or retard on the port?

FWIW, once I installed the 1-2-3 I noticed that the idle speed was very sensitive to fuel mixture compared to the other dizzy that came with this engine (which was not correct, it turns out). With the 1-2-3 it does idle rock steady, but no matter what I do I really can't get idle below 1000 even with bypass screw all the way in. I try to run idle A/F around 13.5 to 14.5 to keep it steady around 1000. If I go richer than that I get idle closer to 1100/1200, IIRC. Much leaner and it will start to hunt. I also chased vacuum leaks for a long time, to the point of swapping out plenums and trying to spray carb cleaner everywhere, but I never found anything.

I can't recall, is this stock 2.0 or 2056? If stock, and the MPS holds a pretty steady vacuum and is correct for your ECU, then that shouldn't be the issue.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 6 2019, 08:59 AM
Post #42

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Stock 2.0 liter with correct/matching FI parts. MPS holds vacuum.
113 dizzy is set to ‘B’ to retard the timing at idle (like my stock setup).
If vacuum leaks are gone, seems like that only leaves adjusting the MPS? Before my old MPS went bad, the car idled at 900 rpms.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 14 2019, 07:42 PM
Post #43

I'm made of metal

Beyond frustrated now.
Started again from the beginning- timing.
My fan only has a single mark- a red one, notched at 7.5 degrees from TDC. I can’t find any other evidence of another fan like mine.

I guess maybe I’ve been tuning it from the wrong mark for the last 10 years (?!) as back then I used pelican’s template to find the 27 advance mark off of the 7.5 mark.

Verified where TDC and 27 BTDC actually was. Car now starts and idles high when cold (too high) and then when it warms up it dies and won’t start again.
WTF? Before I could get it to idle, albeit high, now it won’t run after it warms up.

Setting the timing to where it was doesn’t change anything. I feel like it’s flooding when trying to restart. Engine seems hot- distributor gets too hot to touch after several attempts to restart it. Fuch this thing. Getting ready to push the car off a cliff.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 15 2019, 10:06 AM
Post #44

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 6 2019, 07:59 AM) *

If vacuum leaks are gone, seems like that only leaves adjusting the MPS? Before my old MPS went bad, the car idled at 900 rpms.

Send us a picture how you have routed your vaccum lines to the 123.

My quess is that you are using manifold vacumm instead of ported vacuum.

Post a pic.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jul 17 2019, 12:27 AM
Post #45

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jul 15 2019, 09:06 AM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 6 2019, 07:59 AM) *

Send us a picture how you have routed your vaccum lines to the 123.

My quess is that you are using manifold vacumm instead of ported vacuum.

Post a pic.

123 retard is connected to the retard port on the throttle body. There is no advance port on the throttle body on the later cars. That said, issue is the same even if the hose is disconnected from the distributor left unplugged.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 17 2019, 06:55 PM
Post #46

I'm made of metal

Issues fixed. Had multiple things going on. Distributor vacuum canister leaked. Replaced with the 123 distributor.

Tiny vacuum leak ended up being a worn throttle body linkage shaft (at least that’s what I’m calling it). Was a very minor leak, but a leak just the same. It didn’t show up on the smoke test I did, but it did show up when I tried pressurizing the system. Replaced with a NOS throtyle body I found on ebay (got lucky there, price was reasonable, too). It doesn’t have the safety spring like the later models, but I doubled up on the TB return spring for piece of mind.

Engidlebidles at a perfect 950rpm.

Next step was to tune the air fuel mixture. The rebuilt MPS I got from Jeff had been reset to factory default settings, but was way too lean for my car as I had originally thought. I adjusted the MPS using Chris/Tangerine Racing MPS adjustment tools in conjunction with the Plex wideband sensor I installed last year.
My AFR is now 13.5 at partial load, and 12.5 at WOT. Idle is at 12.2. I may try bringing the idle mixture up a bit with the ECU knob.

The car drives fantastic. Having a steady idle after 12+ years of ownership is a thing of beauty. And just in time to enter the car into the Edmonds car show in Sept 8th!

What a journey! Although extremely frustrating at times, I sure learned a lot through the process.

Thanks for all the input/help from everyone!
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 17 2019, 08:18 PM
Post #47

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Great news! Come on out tommorow for lunch at the Diamond Knot!
...with the car
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 17 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Excellent news
+Quote Post
rjames
post Aug 17 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #49

I'm made of metal

QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 17 2019, 07:18 PM) *

Great news! Come on out tommorow for lunch at the Diamond Knot!
...with the car ������

Wish I could join you. Already had plans for a family gathering. I know these get together aren’t easy to make happen, but hopefully there will be another one soon.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Aug 18 2019, 05:01 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Congrats on solving it.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Aug 18 2019, 05:25 AM
Post #51

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

In addition to having a solid running car you now know a boat load more about it, particularly D-Jet. Hardest problems to solve are the compound ones, where multiple issues send mixed signals making the troubleshooting process a bear.

Way to stick with it, and congrats!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 18 2019, 08:55 AM
Post #52

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rjames @ Aug 17 2019, 05:55 PM) *

Issues fixed. Had multiple things going on. Distributor vacuum canister leaked. Replaced with the 123 distributor.

Tiny vacuum leak ended up being a worn throttle body linkage shaft (at least that’s what I’m calling it). Was a very minor leak, but a leak just the same. It didn’t show up on the smoke test I did, but it did show up when I tried pressurizing the system. Replaced with a NOS throtyle body I found on ebay (got lucky there, price was reasonable, too). It doesn’t have the safety spring like the later models, but I doubled up on the TB return spring for piece of mind.

Engidlebidles at a perfect 950rpm.

Next step was to tune the air fuel mixture. The rebuilt MPS I got from Jeff had been reset to factory default settings, but was way too lean for my car as I had originally thought. I adjusted the MPS using Chris/Tangerine Racing MPS adjustment tools in conjunction with the Plex wideband sensor I installed last year.
My AFR is now 13.5 at partial load, and 12.5 at WOT. Idle is at 12.2. I may try bringing the idle mixture up a bit with the ECU knob.

The car drives fantastic. Having a steady idle after 12+ years of ownership is a thing of beauty. And just in time to enter the car into the Edmonds car show in Sept 8th!

What a journey! Although extremely frustrating at times, I sure learned a lot through the process.

Thanks for all the input/help from everyone!

A huge congratulations to you. I like your approach; check everything and repair it. Newbies take note: these are 50 year old cars. You cannot rely upon any 50 year old part. Looks like your good for another 50 now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Aug 18 2019, 09:33 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 17,686

Great persistence. My car is at Chris’s German auto and the more they touch it the worse it gets... I’ll have Chris call you to get this fixed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Aug 18 2019, 09:39 AM
Post #54

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

Way to go!! Good for you for hanging in there. As usual
With d-jet it’s always related to the distributor, vac function and leaks, and the MPS. I have yet to see a MPS that once “set to factory specs” that has not been too lean and needed to be adjusted less lean. Sounds like you nailed it and those are good numbers!
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 18 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #55

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Thanks for sharing the solutions. Often people don't.
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post Aug 18 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 19,364

appreciate the write ups, diagnosis & help from everyone. So many threads on the internet never have closure (like what finally solved it) - Bonus, I have a 75, removing smog too but it's a 2.0 with Bus Heads - this thread will help me get mine back running (I hope, parked it a few years ago because it was running rough and I smelled fuel) have it up on jackstands finally and will install my stainless steel fuel lines soon!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:52 PM