Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid things people have said about 914s
Ed_Turbo
post Jul 1 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,151
Region Association: Southern California

Here are some funny ones that happened to me....

1) Some guy in a new Porsche Carrera stops next to me at a red light and he says:”What year is that?” He looked startled and shocked at such an old car.

2) Curious guy at a C&C: Is it a 6?
Me: No 4-cylinder 1.8
Curious guy at a C&C: Oh...(he looked bummed out or kinda shrugged it off).

3) Is this a PORCH? He said it with an angry tone staring at me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) I told him yeah it says so on the grille, can’t you read?

4) Porsche mechanic tries to tell me that the 4 cylinder’s are VW not Porsche. Ok bud now get lost.

5) Remember the time when no one cared about Porsche’s in America and you could buy parts dirt cheap? During that time a PCA regional president even said that 914’s are not real Porsche’s. A buddy who has been a long time PCA member told me that story.

I like cars and all, but the arrogance and snobbiness these guys have are comical. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

-Ed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jul 1 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

ignorance is one thing but maliciousness is another.

my 914 isn't yet on the road, but I've had people say they like my Miata when I drive the Boxster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It doesn't bother me. I don't know the difference between a Gucci or Louis Vitton, but I don't really care because I'm ignorant of those things
+Quote Post
tejon007
post Jul 2 2019, 12:09 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,344

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 1 2019, 02:08 PM) *

I like cars and all, but the arrogance and snobbiness these guys have are comical. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

-Ed

Stupid things people have said about 914s?

I agree. Although generally, 914 owners are less arrogant and less snobby than some that either own other models or own other brands...

However, I've seen and heard said, things like:

"Why did he/she do that to a 914?"
or just merely (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Unless asked, it's almost always better to keep such arrogant and snobby comments to yourself...except maybe if a modification is unsafe (and you know what you're talking about).
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jul 2 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #44

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 15 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Pulling up at a restaurant last week:

I like 911s better...

And of course, is it a 6 is it a 6, is it a 6....

Paul

since I redid my car , took the Porsche script off the sides I get lots of comments, but the most common one since I backdated to chrome and I have an early front is
"is it a 6"
but the next one is "what is a 914RS" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (my badge from Restoration Design I got at Okteenerfest last year - sometimes I just say it was a special order package.

but even with the Porsche scrip on it I would get the stupid question of What is that or is it a x-19
but I would say more often than those if you are talking to someone 50+ almost everyone has either had one, or had a family member neighbor or friend that did, and how many cars from that era hear that.
+Quote Post
era vulgaris
post Jul 2 2019, 07:07 AM
Post #45

J is for Genius

Member No.: 16,629
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(442nd914s @ Jun 12 2019, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(442nd914s @ Jun 12 2019, 02:51 PM) *

When a millennial was looking at the center console area
Him: cool gauges.......what's they for?
Me: voltage, temperature. (Figured the last one was self explanatory)
Him: and the last one with the numbers?
Me: (long pause with a lost look)......oh that's a time guage
Him: what's a time gauge?
Me: (shaking my head) ......really? Time guage is a clock!

Turns out he was only exposed to digital clocks.
True story

Millennial anti-theft device; any car with a manual transmission + 3rd pedal !

My experience with millennials is anything that cant be controlled with a tablet or phone, they wont operate it. Hence why they don't have a desire to drive.

Wow you guys are hilarious. Have you tried yelling at "the kids" to "get off your lawn"? Or can you not get to the window fast enough because you use a walker? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Think millennials don't like driving? Look at my signature. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 2 2019, 08:06 PM
Post #46

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Jul 2 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 2 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B

Gilmore Bank, just next to the Gilmore Drive in Theatre at the Farmers Market. Today it's all bulldozed away in the name of the Grove. The Gilmore family had some of the original flagstone rock (from the old '50s bank) re-installed onto some exterior walls around their new bank building ...north end of the Farmers Market. It's called Pacific Premire bank these days
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jul 2 2019, 11:19 PM
Post #48

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

I pull up to a Porsche Shop in Toluca Lake, before I say anything the owner/mechanic says "Sorry, we don't work on 914's" - mind you, he is standing right in front of a 914 on his rack. I say "Oh, yeah, what's that?" pointing to 914 in his garage. He slowly turns, looks at it and back at me and says "That owner also has a 356." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 3 2019, 07:00 AM
Post #49

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

I've also had "is it a /6?" question then "pffftt...oh it's just a /4"
Funny thing is now that it's a six no one has asked me if it's a /6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

The stupidest one was I took my 914 to a bug show and one guy I've known a long time, and I believe is jealous of my cars, said "that doesn't look like a VW". He even complained to the organizer , who admitted to me he didn't know anything about the 914, I had to show him my VIN plate.

Reverse NARP discrimination.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 9 2019, 03:35 PM
Post #50

that's what I do!

Just today pulled into Canadian Tire, blipped the throttle as I pulled in, get out and start walking to the store and an older guy asked me "is that a Ferrari?"

My 914 has a badge, negative side scripts and a reflector. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

At least he didn't ask me if it was a Fiat...I'm moving up in status!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Carl La Fong
post Aug 9 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #51

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 23,000

It doesn't matter to me how stupid or ignorant the questions are, I always try to educate people about the car. A little friendly explanation goes a long way. One of the best things about the 914 are the (for the most part) down to earth people who own and drive them. Don't be a dick. Take some time to educate someone.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Aug 9 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 5,880

QUOTE(tmc914 @ Jun 12 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Where do you put the gas in?

How is this stupid to a non-914 owner? Seems perfectly legitimate since there is no obvious gas flap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 10 2019, 03:22 AM
Post #53

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 9 2019, 07:51 PM) *

It doesn't matter to me how stupid or ignorant the questions are, I always try to educate people about the car. A little friendly explanation goes a long way. One of the best things about the 914 are the (for the most part) down to earth people who own and drive them. Don't be a dick. Take some time to educate someone.

Agree in principle but in Mark's case, it's hard to educate a man that has no power of observation and/or can't read.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 10 2019, 06:02 AM
Post #54

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Last week during my shopping rounds I stopped at one of the usual places for some stuff, and on my way out a gentleman with his bicycle and cell phone asks “What is that, a ‘72?” Figuring he must know 914’s I tell him, “No, it’s a 76” (I have backdated bumpers.)

Since I already had stuff in the frunk, I open the trunk but then think better of putting milk and OJ in over a hot engine. My man is watching the whole time. So I close the trunk and open the frunk, and put the package inside.

Suddenly, he’s laughing, and yelling, “You just f’d me up, man, YOU JUST F’d ME UP!”

Really much more humorous than stupid though.

Never gets old...
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 10 2019, 06:34 AM
Post #55

that's what I do!

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 10 2019, 08:02 AM) *

Last week during my shopping rounds I stopped at one of the usual places for some stuff, and on my way out a gentleman with his bicycle and cell phone asks “What is that, a ‘72?” Figuring he must know 914’s I tell him, “No, it’s a 76” (I have backdated bumpers.)

Since I already had stuff in the frunk, I open the trunk but then think better of putting milk and OJ in over a hot engine. My man is watching the whole time. So I close the trunk and open the frunk, and put the package inside.

Suddenly, he’s laughing, and yelling, “You just f’d me up, man, YOU JUST F’d ME UP!”

Really much more humorous than stupid though.

Never gets old...

I love flipping peeps out by loading stuff into both trunks, "Where the hell is the engine man?"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm never pissy with the 914 uneducated, I often tell them about the car.
I'm always amazed at how many people come up to me saying they or a family member had one. A guy the other week knew they came with a 1.8 and 2.0, but didn't know you could get one with a /6.
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Aug 10 2019, 06:45 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 18,493
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 9 2019, 07:51 PM) *

This is the best post on this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 10 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #57

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 10 2019, 08:34 AM) *

I love flipping peeps out by loading stuff into both trunks, "Where the hell is the engine man?"
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm never pissy with the 914 uneducated, I often tell them about the car.
I'm always amazed at how many people come up to me saying they or a family member had one. A guy the other week knew they came with a 1.8 and 2.0, but didn't know you could get one with a /6.

Right on Mark, I totally enjoy chatting up with people that ask any question, regardless of how silly it may seem.

So here’s today’s story. I go up to return bottles and cans, and pull into a parking spot. When I get out, I realize I had pulled in a little too far; my nose was about a foot over the line. No biggie, just reach in, release the e-brake and push back a bit. A guy asks, “Do you need a hand?” I’m like, no, I’m good, thanks. Then he proceeds to tell me that his brother had one, thought it was a million dollar car, blah blah blah.

I ask him if his brother lived in a town a few miles away. Yes, he says. I then ask if his brother’s name was *$#%. He says yes, it is! Turns out , I looked at that car a few years ago, at least, and still kick myself occasionally for not buying it, as my car actually now sports the rear sway bar that came off it.

Had a bunch of other good stuff too, including a perfect dash. Oh well... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Aug 10 2019, 01:51 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I have people come by here and there and ask if the "old car" is for sale.

I don't live on a busy street at all, but people are nosy. I suppose I'm the same way, always looking for something cool tucked away in other people's garages.

I had a guy come by the other day, and we talked for an hour about 914s in a very enthusiastic way. (I love 914s) By the time I was done, he was off to check Craigslist for one, he just HAD to have one.

I agree with Carl, we can and should all be good ambassadors for our quirky little cars! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Not_A_Six
post Aug 10 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 22,682
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 15 2019, 05:32 PM) *

...And of course, is it a 6 is it a 6, is it a 6....

No kidding. (Look at my screen name.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dflesburg
post Aug 11 2019, 06:59 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 1,896

Yesterday, at a Porsche only show, I was looking at a 914 3.2 conversion and someone walked up and said, this a super rare car, I said, what makes it rare? he said its a six and they only made about a 1000. (first mistake). A quick look at the vin and I said its a 73.
The conversation continues but you get the idea....
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:20 PM