Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid things people have said about 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JeffBowlsby
"Looks the same coming and going"
rhodyguy
'You know, these aren't a real Porsche. They were made by VW'. Never argue with an uninformed fool.
rhodyguy
Duplicate.
rhodyguy
What did I do wrong that my reply is in 'Posts in this topic?
scallyk9
"Volkswagen must have paid Porsche to put Porsche's name on them". No point in really explaining it if you hear this.
Robarabian
"Where's the engine in that thing?"
Mark Henry
Nice Fiat biggrin.gif
914_7T3
Actual quote from a Millennial in Malibu:

"Is that some kind of Miata?"

Didn't even answer the guy laugh.gif
rhodyguy
Or. 'Yes, it's one of the older models'. Then walk.
442nd914s
When a millennial was looking at the center console area
Him: cool gauges.......what's they for?
Me: voltage, temperature. (Figured the last one was self explanatory)
Him: and the last one with the numbers?
Me: (long pause with a lost look)......oh that's a time guage
Him: what's a time gauge?
Me: (shaking my head) ......really? Time guage is a clock!

Turns out he was only exposed to digital clocks.
True story
mtc911
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2019, 12:34 PM) *

"Looks the same coming and going"

Your gas tank is in the trunk?

bbrock
Had a dental hygienist see my car out the window and ask, "Is that a new car? I've never seen that kind before" To be fair, the car was a mere 25 years old at the time and it wasn't a stupid comment. To the contrary, she was smart enough to recognize a timeless design smile.gif
tmc914
Where do you put the gas in?
thelogo
I get this all the time

"Wow great looking car "

"Can i give you 2500 bucks for it "

Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Jun 12 2019, 02:51 PM) *

True story

Millennial anti-theft device; any car with a manual transmission + 3rd pedal !
442nd914s
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 07:07 PM) *

True story

My experience with millennials is anything that cant be controlled with a tablet or phone, they wont operate it. Hence why they don't have a desire to drive.
Maltese Falcon
In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Jun 13 2019, 10:52 AM) *

Where do you put the gas in?

And then "where is the engine" ?, most are surprised to see a 6cyl crammed in there,the double ended comment is unjustified and came from the T1 beetle,the fact that a 914 car cover fits pretty well both ways has nothing to do with it lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
Yep as mentioned had the Fiat one came up recently,first time ever WTF.gif .
adolimpio
In about 1978 I was dispatched to a nuclear power plant to repair a copier and my Xerox company car was in the shop. I drove up to the guard shack in my 914 and the guard asked me to open the trunk. I opened the front trunk, he looked at my stash of copier parts and waved me through. I asked if he wanted to look in the other trunk as I opened it. He looked in and waved me through again, but asked where the engine was. I said "wow, I never thought too ask when I bought the car". He just walked away scratching his head.

914s are fun even when you're not driving it!
Larmo63
While looking at each other in amazement "It's Porsche, we thought it was an Alfa..."

Two young guys running down the street when I parked.
echocanyons
“I used to own one”
burton73
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 12 2019, 07:08 PM) *

“I used to own one”

I do not know how stupid that is. I am in So CA and I hear it all the time at a gas station. Also a couple of times at my house.

Bob B
echocanyons
It is only stupid because they don’t still have it.
gulf908
one of the major problems has been with the generic 'classic car ' magazines.
they tend to regurgitate the tripe that was written by ill informed editors of previous magazine articles for the simple reason that they are too lazy to go back to the original responsible writings of the day or actually get hold of a well sorted example of a -4 or a -6 and drive it for a week
to me the 914 series is similar to the Citroen DS in that the car has to be driven for a week to discover its virtues

off the soap box now . . . .
cheers
Dennis smile.gif
campbellcj
Just a few weeks ago as I was working in the garage the SO of a friend said "oh cool, you're restoring a Ferrari!"
Racer
At the track I heard "for such a slow car, you sure are hard to catch" .... guess its not that slow, eh? wink.gif
914werke
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 12 2019, 07:33 PM) *

It is only stupid because they don’t still have it.

agree.gif
sixnotfour
who only has One ?
914werke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 14 2019, 08:50 AM) *
who only has One ?

happy11.gif
jkb944t
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Jun 12 2019, 10:08 PM) *

“I used to own one”

If they didnt have one themselves they at least had a friend or relative that had one!

Jeff B
TheCabinetmaker
at the corner car wash one day washing my 914. The lady in the next stall comes over and she says ah,those are such neat cars. I'm thinking about buying one. I just saw one at the dealership yesterday and I inquired about it. I told her, ma'am they haven't made this car in 10 years she looked at me surprisedly, and said what kind of car is that? it's a Porsche. She looked at me and said, oh I certainly can't afford one of those. Walked out of the convenience store one day, there were two kids looking at the front of the car. One kid said to the other see I told you it's not a Ferrari. It's a Porsche! Went camping one weekend. Pulled up to the campsite, unloaded the luggage rack, front trunk, back trunk, and an older gentleman who was watching this got up from his chair, walked over and said, ok, where the hell is the engine. I replied no engine it's electric! I've owned a 914 since 1973. I could write a book to answer this thread!
SirAndy
I'm watching Andrew Blyholder's crew give him a jump start at the Alameda autocross (he has no starter in the car).
Some guy walks by and says "I'm surprised they allow this junk to run here".
I respond with a smile.

Andrew gets out on the course and spanks everyone by a comfortable margin to get TTOD (like most times when he shows up).

I would have loved to talk to that guy after the event but i never saw him again.
biggrin.gif
SKL1
Lots of comments back when they came out from the "in" crowd of the PCA. Many didn't want us in the "group" because it wasn't a real Porsche.
Felt SO good to beat 911's in autocrosses back in the day!!! Had TTOD many times with my lowly 914-4...
Beeliner
At a traffic light:
"What is it?"
"Porsche, same as yours."
draperjojo
Them: "3 Pedals?"
Me: "Yeah, middle one is for the front brakes, I use it if I wanna slow down a little, if I wanna stop, I press the back brake pedal AND the front brake pedal"......
Maltese Falcon
A modified 240Z lined up next to me at a boulevard stop...asked if I wanted a go at it for pink-slips driving.gif driving.gif I replied that I already had a garage full of Z cars...didn't need anymore lol-2.gif
orthobiz
Pulling up at a restaurant last week:

I like 911s better...

And of course, is it a 6 is it a 6, is it a 6....

Paul
tmc914
Stopped to get a bite to eat today and someone stopped me in the parking lot to say what nice car I had. I thanked him and let him guess at the year. Not sure he even knew what kind of car it was. He said 1970 and I said close. Told him it was a 1973 Porsche 914 with the small engine only 1.7. Now I am waiting for his next comment because here it comes. "I got a 1979 Trans am over there that I bought for $1,500.00". He assured me the inside of his car looked a lot better than the outside. Took his word for it. Told him he got a great deal. Wish I only paid $1,500 for mine.
steuspeed
At a gas station.

Me, yeah the top goes in the back trunk.
Attendant, Oh, does it do it automatically?
Me, uh... no, nothing on this car is automatic. Well, maybe the headlights. lol-2.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Jun 12 2019, 11:57 PM) *

one of the major problems has been with the generic 'classic car ' magazines.
they tend to regurgitate the tripe that was written by ill informed editors of previous magazine articles for the simple reason that they are too lazy to go back to the original responsible writings of the day or actually get hold of a well sorted example of a -4 or a -6 and drive it for a week
to me the 914 series is similar to the Citroen DS in that the car has to be driven for a week to discover its virtues

off the soap box now . . . .
cheers
Dennis smile.gif

^ Fully agree with the above. Although I'd say I've seen a lot of people—even Porsche engineers—"get" the 914 in just one drive. But yes to regurgitating period magazine articles and book chapters. A lot of the books got it wrong in period, as well...

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2019, 11:32 AM) *

I'm watching Andrew Blyholder's crew give him a jump start at the Alameda autocross (he has no starter in the car).
Some guy walks by and says "I'm surprised they allow this junk to run here".
I respond with a smile.

Andrew gets out on the course and spanks everyone by a comfortable margin to get TTOD (like most times when he shows up).

I would have loved to talk to that guy after the event but i never saw him again.
biggrin.gif

av-943.gif

LOVE this story.

Reminds me of the stupid thing a 993 C4S guy "said" on the way to the Carlsen swap meet 23~ years ago. I was following my friend Ernie King's 914-6 3.6 in my lowly 914-4 Question Liter when we moved for the cloverleaf offramp to 101S and a guy in a brand-new, lowered 993 Carrera 4S—a spaceship back then—cut me off and got all over Ernie's rear bumper in the offramp. He was gonna show the 914 trash what was up, and went over four lanes to the fast lane of 101S as soon as he was off the ramp.

Trouble was, Ernie was a silver dot in a different zip code by the time the 993 got over the fast lane. w00t.gif

It was so satisfying to watch, even from my 80-hp cheap seats.

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 15 2019, 05:21 PM) *

A modified 240Z lined up next to me at a boulevard stop...asked if I wanted a go at it for pink-slips. I replied that I already had a garage full of Z cars...didn't need anymore

Well played! lol-2.gif
Ed_Turbo
Here are some funny ones that happened to me....

1) Some guy in a new Porsche Carrera stops next to me at a red light and he says:”What year is that?” He looked startled and shocked at such an old car.

2) Curious guy at a C&C: Is it a 6?
Me: No 4-cylinder 1.8
Curious guy at a C&C: Oh...(he looked bummed out or kinda shrugged it off).

3) Is this a PORCH? He said it with an angry tone staring at me evilgrin.gif I told him yeah it says so on the grille, can’t you read?

4) Porsche mechanic tries to tell me that the 4 cylinder’s are VW not Porsche. Ok bud now get lost.

5) Remember the time when no one cared about Porsche’s in America and you could buy parts dirt cheap? During that time a PCA regional president even said that 914’s are not real Porsche’s. A buddy who has been a long time PCA member told me that story.

I like cars and all, but the arrogance and snobbiness these guys have are comical. lol-2.gif

-Ed
jmitro
ignorance is one thing but maliciousness is another.

my 914 isn't yet on the road, but I've had people say they like my Miata when I drive the Boxster. smile.gif It doesn't bother me. I don't know the difference between a Gucci or Louis Vitton, but I don't really care because I'm ignorant of those things
tejon007
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Jul 1 2019, 02:08 PM) *

I like cars and all, but the arrogance and snobbiness these guys have are comical. lol-2.gif

-Ed

Stupid things people have said about 914s?

I agree. Although generally, 914 owners are less arrogant and less snobby than some that either own other models or own other brands...

However, I've seen and heard said, things like:

"Why did he/she do that to a 914?"
or just merely barf.gif

Unless asked, it's almost always better to keep such arrogant and snobby comments to yourself...except maybe if a modification is unsafe (and you know what you're talking about).
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 15 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Pulling up at a restaurant last week:

I like 911s better...

And of course, is it a 6 is it a 6, is it a 6....

Paul

since I redid my car , took the Porsche script off the sides I get lots of comments, but the most common one since I backdated to chrome and I have an early front is
"is it a 6"
but the next one is "what is a 914RS" happy11.gif (my badge from Restoration Design I got at Okteenerfest last year - sometimes I just say it was a special order package.

but even with the Porsche scrip on it I would get the stupid question of What is that or is it a x-19
but I would say more often than those if you are talking to someone 50+ almost everyone has either had one, or had a family member neighbor or friend that did, and how many cars from that era hear that.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(442nd914s @ Jun 12 2019, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 07:07 PM) *

True story

My experience with millennials is anything that cant be controlled with a tablet or phone, they wont operate it. Hence why they don't have a desire to drive.

Wow you guys are hilarious. Have you tried yelling at "the kids" to "get off your lawn"? Or can you not get to the window fast enough because you use a walker? lol-2.gif

Think millennials don't like driving? Look at my signature. driving.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 biggrin.gif

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 2 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B

Gilmore Bank, just next to the Gilmore Drive in Theatre at the Farmers Market. Today it's all bulldozed away in the name of the Grove. The Gilmore family had some of the original flagstone rock (from the old '50s bank) re-installed onto some exterior walls around their new bank building ...north end of the Farmers Market. It's called Pacific Premire bank these days
Mike D.
I pull up to a Porsche Shop in Toluca Lake, before I say anything the owner/mechanic says "Sorry, we don't work on 914's" - mind you, he is standing right in front of a 914 on his rack. I say "Oh, yeah, what's that?" pointing to 914 in his garage. He slowly turns, looks at it and back at me and says "That owner also has a 356." blink.gif

Mark Henry
I've also had "is it a /6?" question then "pffftt...oh it's just a /4"
Funny thing is now that it's a six no one has asked me if it's a /6. rolleyes.gif

The stupidest one was I took my 914 to a bug show and one guy I've known a long time, and I believe is jealous of my cars, said "that doesn't look like a VW". He even complained to the organizer , who admitted to me he didn't know anything about the 914, I had to show him my VIN plate.

Reverse NARP discrimination.
Mark Henry
Just today pulled into Canadian Tire, blipped the throttle as I pulled in, get out and start walking to the store and an older guy asked me "is that a Ferrari?"

My 914 has a badge, negative side scripts and a reflector. rolleyes.gif

At least he didn't ask me if it was a Fiat...I'm moving up in status!!! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.