Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid things people have said about 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Carl La Fong
It doesn't matter to me how stupid or ignorant the questions are, I always try to educate people about the car. A little friendly explanation goes a long way. One of the best things about the 914 are the (for the most part) down to earth people who own and drive them. Don't be a dick. Take some time to educate someone.
RickS
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Jun 12 2019, 03:52 PM) *

Where do you put the gas in?

How is this stupid to a non-914 owner? Seems perfectly legitimate since there is no obvious gas flap. confused24.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 9 2019, 07:51 PM) *

It doesn't matter to me how stupid or ignorant the questions are, I always try to educate people about the car. A little friendly explanation goes a long way. One of the best things about the 914 are the (for the most part) down to earth people who own and drive them. Don't be a dick. Take some time to educate someone.

Agree in principle but in Mark's case, it's hard to educate a man that has no power of observation and/or can't read.
Porschef
Last week during my shopping rounds I stopped at one of the usual places for some stuff, and on my way out a gentleman with his bicycle and cell phone asks “What is that, a ‘72?” Figuring he must know 914’s I tell him, “No, it’s a 76” (I have backdated bumpers.)

Since I already had stuff in the frunk, I open the trunk but then think better of putting milk and OJ in over a hot engine. My man is watching the whole time. So I close the trunk and open the frunk, and put the package inside.

Suddenly, he’s laughing, and yelling, “You just f’d me up, man, YOU JUST F’d ME UP!”

Really much more humorous than stupid though.

Never gets old...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 10 2019, 08:02 AM) *

Last week during my shopping rounds I stopped at one of the usual places for some stuff, and on my way out a gentleman with his bicycle and cell phone asks “What is that, a ‘72?” Figuring he must know 914’s I tell him, “No, it’s a 76” (I have backdated bumpers.)

Since I already had stuff in the frunk, I open the trunk but then think better of putting milk and OJ in over a hot engine. My man is watching the whole time. So I close the trunk and open the frunk, and put the package inside.

Suddenly, he’s laughing, and yelling, “You just f’d me up, man, YOU JUST F’d ME UP!”

Really much more humorous than stupid though.

Never gets old...

I love flipping peeps out by loading stuff into both trunks, "Where the hell is the engine man?"
laugh.gif

I'm never pissy with the 914 uneducated, I often tell them about the car.
I'm always amazed at how many people come up to me saying they or a family member had one. A guy the other week knew they came with a 1.8 and 2.0, but didn't know you could get one with a /6.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Aug 9 2019, 07:51 PM) *

This is the best post on this thread. agree.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 10 2019, 08:34 AM) *

I love flipping peeps out by loading stuff into both trunks, "Where the hell is the engine man?"
laugh.gif

I'm never pissy with the 914 uneducated, I often tell them about the car.
I'm always amazed at how many people come up to me saying they or a family member had one. A guy the other week knew they came with a 1.8 and 2.0, but didn't know you could get one with a /6.

Right on Mark, I totally enjoy chatting up with people that ask any question, regardless of how silly it may seem.

So here’s today’s story. I go up to return bottles and cans, and pull into a parking spot. When I get out, I realize I had pulled in a little too far; my nose was about a foot over the line. No biggie, just reach in, release the e-brake and push back a bit. A guy asks, “Do you need a hand?” I’m like, no, I’m good, thanks. Then he proceeds to tell me that his brother had one, thought it was a million dollar car, blah blah blah.

I ask him if his brother lived in a town a few miles away. Yes, he says. I then ask if his brother’s name was *$#%. He says yes, it is! Turns out , I looked at that car a few years ago, at least, and still kick myself occasionally for not buying it, as my car actually now sports the rear sway bar that came off it.

Had a bunch of other good stuff too, including a perfect dash. Oh well... dry.gif
Larmo63
I have people come by here and there and ask if the "old car" is for sale.

I don't live on a busy street at all, but people are nosy. I suppose I'm the same way, always looking for something cool tucked away in other people's garages.

I had a guy come by the other day, and we talked for an hour about 914s in a very enthusiastic way. (I love 914s) By the time I was done, he was off to check Craigslist for one, he just HAD to have one.

I agree with Carl, we can and should all be good ambassadors for our quirky little cars! smilie_pokal.gif
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jun 15 2019, 05:32 PM) *

...And of course, is it a 6 is it a 6, is it a 6....

No kidding. (Look at my screen name.) biggrin.gif
dflesburg
Yesterday, at a Porsche only show, I was looking at a 914 3.2 conversion and someone walked up and said, this a super rare car, I said, what makes it rare? he said its a six and they only made about a 1000. (first mistake). A quick look at the vin and I said its a 73.
The conversation continues but you get the idea....
burton73
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 2 2019, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 2 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 biggrin.gif

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B

Gilmore Bank, just next to the Gilmore Drive in Theatre at the Farmers Market. Today it's all bulldozed away in the name of the Grove. The Gilmore family had some of the original flagstone rock (from the old '50s bank) re-installed onto some exterior walls around their new bank building ...north end of the Farmers Market. It's called Pacific Premire bank these days

They did my loan on my 81 Rabbit Pick up.

Best loan rate in town at that time.

Bob B
Porschef
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 11 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Yesterday, at a Porsche only show, I was looking at a 914 3.2 conversion and someone walked up and said, this a super rare car, I said, what makes it rare? he said its a six and they only made about a 1000. (first mistake). A quick look at the vin and I said its a 73.
The conversation continues but you get the idea....

This reminds me of a Euro car show held annually down in a local village. I entered my car, and had a couplafew very pleasant inquiries that I was more than happy to oblige. Then, a couple comes along, and the guy is telling his girl, totally within earshot, “These were cheap cars, they’re called a 914. Real junk, unless it had a six, and they were called 916’s”

So I make a halfhearted effort to tell the pompous jackass that no, they were not called 916’s, they’re known as 914/6’s...

The guy grabs her hand and pulls her away like I was coming at them with a flamethrower WTF.gif

Turns out he’s got quite an extensive collection of some pretty rare stuff, including a few that were entered in the show. Obviously, though, he knew it all...

Some people rolleyes.gif
73-914
Just like when you tell somebody with a Dino "That's not a real Ferrari"
Steve
Since my car has GT flairs, people at Cars & Coffee ask if it’s a 916. And of course the top is off. I don’t consider it a stupid question. I’m surprised they have even heard of a 916. Of course I’m nice and educate them.

I took my daughter to a Porsche car show. There was a guy there that was talking to his daughter.. “you can tell it’s a six by the 914-6 emblem on the back”. I tried to be nice and said I have the same emblem on my home made six. Best way to tell a real one is by the Vin. I explained the difference in the vin, but I don’t think he liked me correcting him in front of his daughter.
Porschef
It’s all about the ego. The guy I was referring to actually has a darn extensive BMW bike museum/collection.

Still...
ConeDodger
Today actually: The guy was with another guy that I know and we were talking about our cars which were parked next to each other. The guy interjects - "Are you going to restore it." My friend and I both look at him and my friend asks - "What would you have him do? It's pretty much about as good as it gets." He looked embarrassed and said, "yes, it's pretty nice, I don't know why I said that." blink.gif
ConeDodger
Coolest thing that cancelled out the "are you going to restore it" question: A kid and his mom were looking at my car and he was telling me how cool he thought it was. Then, I let him sit in it. While he was doing that, his mom tells me "He drives racecars you know. I put my foot in my mouth and say "shifter karts?" Mom says "well he used to do that but now he is in Indy Lights. Sting Ray Robb. Kid is an up and comer...
And yes. They really did name him Sting Ray... blink.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(73-914 @ Aug 11 2019, 01:02 PM) *

Just like when you tell somebody with a Dino "That's not a real Ferrari"

IPB Image
KSCarrera
When using the ferry to cross the Channel from the UK over to France, security checks these days invariably mean being asked to check the contents of the trunk and occasionally check the engine bay. In June, I had the usual 'Can you open the boot (trunk) please?' as the armed soldier walked to the back of the car. I open the trunk lid, he nods OK and then asks to see the engine. As I reach inside the car, he walks to the front... I open the engine lid, he then walks back to peer inside and then waves me through. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to smuggle anything through, use a 914 and place the goods/people/explosives in the front trunk...

I had the same scenario with my 981 Cayman last year, too, except I wasn't asked to show the engine. That would have been hard to explain 'Sure, you got a workshop lift handy?'...
Chief
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Aug 12 2019, 08:08 AM) *

When using the ferry to cross the Channel from the UK over to France, security checks these days invariably mean being asked to check the contents of the trunk and occasionally check the engine bay. In June, I had the usual 'Can you open the boot (trunk) please?' as the armed soldier walked to the back of the car. I open the trunk lid, he nods OK and then asks to see the engine. As I reach inside the car, he walks to the front... I open the engine lid, he then walks back to peer inside and then waves me through. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to smuggle anything through, use a 914 and place the goods/people/explosives in the front trunk...

I had the same scenario with my 981 Cayman last year, too, except I wasn't asked to show the engine. That would have been hard to explain 'Sure, you got a workshop lift handy?'...

Now that's funny first.gif
maf914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 11 2019, 12:12 PM) *

Coolest thing that cancelled out the "are you going to restore it" question: A kid and his mom were looking at my car and he was telling me how cool he thought it was. Then, I let him sit in it. While he was doing that, his mom tells me "He drives racecars you know. I put my foot in my mouth and say "shifter karts?" Mom says "well he used to do that but now he is in Indy Lights. Sting Ray Robb. Kid is an up and comer...
And yes. They really did name him Sting Ray... blink.gif

That's good. laugh.gif

Old Sting Ray actually has his own website.

https://www.stingrayrobb.com/
dax1969
Told my new girlfriend that perhaps I will buy another Porsche.... saw a twinkling star in her eyes and she asked me which one ? I hope not a boxster cause I don't like Boxsters... another 911 ?

Showed her some pictures of nice 914's.... she hesitated and said .... why ? I don't like that model.... at that moment I was convinced... I'll buy a 914 VERY SOON!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Relationship test : if she still joins me, she is the one... if not ... KMA.gif

Cheers
Dax
rhodyguy
A girlfriend won't see credit card statements or boxes full of shipped parts. No 'what did FedEx deliver today?'.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Aug 12 2019, 03:08 AM) *

Security Theater at it's finest!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Aug 12 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Told my new girlfriend that perhaps I will buy another Porsche.... saw a twinkling star in her eyes and she asked me which one ? I hope not a boxster cause I don't like Boxsters... another 911 ?

Showed her some pictures of nice 914's.... she hesitated and said .... why ? I don't like that model.... at that moment I was convinced... I'll buy a 914 VERY SOON!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Cheers
Dax

Love the acceptance criteria. first.gif

When dating my wife we used flash cards to teach her the various Porsche's of the era (356, 911, 914, 924, 944, 928). We're still married 22 years later.

Really been together 28 years but I found out later that there is no credit given for time served while living together. av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Cheers
Dax

When dating my wife we used flash cards to teach her the various Porsche's of the era (356, 911, 914, 924, 944, 928). We're still married 22 years later.

Really been together 28 years but I found out later that there is no credit given for time served while living together. av-943.gif

You should have done what I did. I found a woman that already had a 914 and married her! grouphug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2019, 04:09 PM) *

You should have done what I did. I found a woman that already had a 914 and married her! grouphug.gif

That is AWESOME.

Hard to argue that one, but, another alternative might be to marry one that is loaded with $$$ and let her decide it's easier to simply keep me happy in the garage than to get a divorce dry.gif

Used to crew for a race team for fun in late 90's. Dude married money and couldn't build yachts and race cars fast enough to spend it. cheer.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2019, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Cheers
Dax

I had a girlfriend who was not impressed by my beat up 914. She solved the problem by buying herself a much nicer one for herself. Been married 35 years and still going strong.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 12 2019, 07:30 PM) *

I had a girlfriend who was not impressed by my beat up 914. She solved the problem by buying herself a much nicer one for herself. Been married 35 years and still going strong.

And . . . she pretty much looks the other way with respect to the madness going on out in the garage. Be careful, she might make it hers once it's done. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.