Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stupid things people have said about 914s
burton73
post Aug 11 2019, 11:09 AM
Post #61

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jul 2 2019, 09:02 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 2 2019, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Jun 12 2019, 05:20 PM) *

In '97, I was making a bank deposit at the drive-up window , the teller exclaimed "Marty that must be the new Porsche Boxster...so beautiful in black". I thanked him and told him it's a 914...same one that the bank financed when I purchased new in '74 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Marty,

Sun Country or Gilmore bank?

Bob B

Gilmore Bank, just next to the Gilmore Drive in Theatre at the Farmers Market. Today it's all bulldozed away in the name of the Grove. The Gilmore family had some of the original flagstone rock (from the old '50s bank) re-installed onto some exterior walls around their new bank building ...north end of the Farmers Market. It's called Pacific Premire bank these days

They did my loan on my 81 Rabbit Pick up.

Best loan rate in town at that time.

Bob B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 11 2019, 11:30 AM
Post #62

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Aug 11 2019, 08:59 AM) *

Yesterday, at a Porsche only show, I was looking at a 914 3.2 conversion and someone walked up and said, this a super rare car, I said, what makes it rare? he said its a six and they only made about a 1000. (first mistake). A quick look at the vin and I said its a 73.
The conversation continues but you get the idea....

This reminds me of a Euro car show held annually down in a local village. I entered my car, and had a couplafew very pleasant inquiries that I was more than happy to oblige. Then, a couple comes along, and the guy is telling his girl, totally within earshot, “These were cheap cars, they’re called a 914. Real junk, unless it had a six, and they were called 916’s”

So I make a halfhearted effort to tell the pompous jackass that no, they were not called 916’s, they’re known as 914/6’s...

The guy grabs her hand and pulls her away like I was coming at them with a flamethrower (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Turns out he’s got quite an extensive collection of some pretty rare stuff, including a few that were entered in the show. Obviously, though, he knew it all...

Some people (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
73-914
post Aug 11 2019, 12:02 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 11,651
Region Association: None

Just like when you tell somebody with a Dino "That's not a real Ferrari"
+Quote Post
Steve
post Aug 11 2019, 12:57 PM
Post #64

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

Since my car has GT flairs, people at Cars & Coffee ask if it’s a 916. And of course the top is off. I don’t consider it a stupid question. I’m surprised they have even heard of a 916. Of course I’m nice and educate them.

I took my daughter to a Porsche car show. There was a guy there that was talking to his daughter.. “you can tell it’s a six by the 914-6 emblem on the back”. I tried to be nice and said I have the same emblem on my home made six. Best way to tell a real one is by the Vin. I explained the difference in the vin, but I don’t think he liked me correcting him in front of his daughter.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 11 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #65

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

It’s all about the ego. The guy I was referring to actually has a darn extensive BMW bike museum/collection.

Still...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 11 2019, 02:01 PM
Post #66

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Today actually: The guy was with another guy that I know and we were talking about our cars which were parked next to each other. The guy interjects - "Are you going to restore it." My friend and I both look at him and my friend asks - "What would you have him do? It's pretty much about as good as it gets." He looked embarrassed and said, "yes, it's pretty nice, I don't know why I said that." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 11 2019, 02:12 PM
Post #67

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Coolest thing that cancelled out the "are you going to restore it" question: A kid and his mom were looking at my car and he was telling me how cool he thought it was. Then, I let him sit in it. While he was doing that, his mom tells me "He drives racecars you know. I put my foot in my mouth and say "shifter karts?" Mom says "well he used to do that but now he is in Indy Lights. Sting Ray Robb. Kid is an up and comer...
And yes. They really did name him Sting Ray... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 11 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #68

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(73-914 @ Aug 11 2019, 01:02 PM) *

Just like when you tell somebody with a Dino "That's not a real Ferrari"

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/media.giphy.com-1143-1565579021.1.gif)
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Aug 12 2019, 01:08 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

When using the ferry to cross the Channel from the UK over to France, security checks these days invariably mean being asked to check the contents of the trunk and occasionally check the engine bay. In June, I had the usual 'Can you open the boot (trunk) please?' as the armed soldier walked to the back of the car. I open the trunk lid, he nods OK and then asks to see the engine. As I reach inside the car, he walks to the front... I open the engine lid, he then walks back to peer inside and then waves me through. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to smuggle anything through, use a 914 and place the goods/people/explosives in the front trunk...

I had the same scenario with my 981 Cayman last year, too, except I wasn't asked to show the engine. That would have been hard to explain 'Sure, you got a workshop lift handy?'...
+Quote Post
Chief
post Aug 12 2019, 01:52 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 20,751
Region Association: England

QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Aug 12 2019, 08:08 AM) *

When using the ferry to cross the Channel from the UK over to France, security checks these days invariably mean being asked to check the contents of the trunk and occasionally check the engine bay. In June, I had the usual 'Can you open the boot (trunk) please?' as the armed soldier walked to the back of the car. I open the trunk lid, he nods OK and then asks to see the engine. As I reach inside the car, he walks to the front... I open the engine lid, he then walks back to peer inside and then waves me through. I guess the moral of the story is if you want to smuggle anything through, use a 914 and place the goods/people/explosives in the front trunk...

I had the same scenario with my 981 Cayman last year, too, except I wasn't asked to show the engine. That would have been hard to explain 'Sure, you got a workshop lift handy?'...

Now that's funny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
maf914
post Aug 12 2019, 06:00 AM
Post #71

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 11 2019, 12:12 PM) *

Coolest thing that cancelled out the "are you going to restore it" question: A kid and his mom were looking at my car and he was telling me how cool he thought it was. Then, I let him sit in it. While he was doing that, his mom tells me "He drives racecars you know. I put my foot in my mouth and say "shifter karts?" Mom says "well he used to do that but now he is in Indy Lights. Sting Ray Robb. Kid is an up and comer...
And yes. They really did name him Sting Ray... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

That's good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Old Sting Ray actually has his own website.

https://www.stingrayrobb.com/
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Aug 12 2019, 08:06 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 17,103

Told my new girlfriend that perhaps I will buy another Porsche.... saw a twinkling star in her eyes and she asked me which one ? I hope not a boxster cause I don't like Boxsters... another 911 ?

Showed her some pictures of nice 914's.... she hesitated and said .... why ? I don't like that model.... at that moment I was convinced... I'll buy a 914 VERY SOON!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Relationship test : if she still joins me, she is the one... if not ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

Cheers
Dax
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 12 2019, 08:33 AM
Post #73

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

A girlfriend won't see credit card statements or boxes full of shipped parts. No 'what did FedEx deliver today?'.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 12 2019, 01:49 PM
Post #74

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428

QUOTE(KSCarrera @ Aug 12 2019, 03:08 AM) *

Security Theater at it's finest!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 12 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #75

914 Guru

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Aug 12 2019, 10:06 AM) *

Told my new girlfriend that perhaps I will buy another Porsche.... saw a twinkling star in her eyes and she asked me which one ? I hope not a boxster cause I don't like Boxsters... another 911 ?

Showed her some pictures of nice 914's.... she hesitated and said .... why ? I don't like that model.... at that moment I was convinced... I'll buy a 914 VERY SOON!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Relationship test : if she still joins me, she is the one... if not ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)

Cheers
Dax

Love the acceptance criteria. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

When dating my wife we used flash cards to teach her the various Porsche's of the era (356, 911, 914, 924, 944, 928). We're still married 22 years later.

Really been together 28 years but I found out later that there is no credit given for time served while living together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 12 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #76

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Cheers
Dax

When dating my wife we used flash cards to teach her the various Porsche's of the era (356, 911, 914, 924, 944, 928). We're still married 22 years later.

Really been together 28 years but I found out later that there is no credit given for time served while living together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

You should have done what I did. I found a woman that already had a 914 and married her! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 12 2019, 03:07 PM
Post #77

914 Guru

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2019, 04:09 PM) *

You should have done what I did. I found a woman that already had a 914 and married her! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

That is AWESOME.

Hard to argue that one, but, another alternative might be to marry one that is loaded with $$$ and let her decide it's easier to simply keep me happy in the garage than to get a divorce (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Used to crew for a race team for fun in late 90's. Dude married money and couldn't build yachts and race cars fast enough to spend it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 12 2019, 05:30 PM
Post #78

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2019, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 12 2019, 02:53 PM) *

Cheers
Dax

I had a girlfriend who was not impressed by my beat up 914. She solved the problem by buying herself a much nicer one for herself. Been married 35 years and still going strong.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 12 2019, 06:33 PM
Post #79

914 Guru

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 12 2019, 07:30 PM) *

I had a girlfriend who was not impressed by my beat up 914. She solved the problem by buying herself a much nicer one for herself. Been married 35 years and still going strong.

And . . . she pretty much looks the other way with respect to the madness going on out in the garage. Be careful, she might make it hers once it's done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:26 PM