Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old thread for the 914 50th at Mosport, 2019, *please see link for this year's event
14carrot
post Jun 16 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,599
Region Association: Canada

This is the old thread for the 2019 914 50th Celebration at the PCA UCR CanAm club race at Mosport.

For details on the 2022 914 meet at the Mosport CanAm event please see our SIG914 Updates thread here in the garage forum and subscribe!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...341094&st=0

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  CanAm2019_Schedule.V1__1_.doc ( 30k ) Number of downloads: 92
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jun 17 2019, 05:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 20,960

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 16 2019, 06:02 PM) *

Confirmed!
914 HONORED AT CTMP (MOSPORT) PCA Club Racing

CanAm Challenge
914s from all over the Northeast in the USA and Canada will converge at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) on Saturday August 3rd, to take over the infield and take in a day of watching PCA club racing. The day gets better with a
driving tour led by Mark Henry
which includes a tour of his shop and a stop for dinner. Then back to the track for a campout.

CTMP is an excellent place to camp with modern bathroom/shower facilities. See more on the PCA CanAm Challenge at pcaucr.org

On Sunday August 4th, attending 914s will take to the track for parade laps of this historic road course following a recreation of the 914 safety car that paced the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix (the first use of a safety car in F1).

Admittance to the event including camping and parade laps is free!

PCA is your host at the track. This event is open to all PCA members. Not a member yet? Join now at pca.org

More info to follow on the driving tour.

Talk it up and get your car ready now!

THIS IS AN EVENT NOT TO BE MISSED!
Network here with other club members to create your own Northeast ramble to the track!

Check in here often for updates.

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

Cost to join PCA??? Currently a member of WOSCA and do our performance driving with them, but this looks like fun!
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 17 2019, 06:24 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 07:03 AM) *

Cost to join PCA??? Currently a member of WOSCA and do our performance driving with them, but this looks like fun!

One year, $46 USD
Two year $90 USD
Three year $132 USD

You need to be over 18 and have a Porsche VIN number.
IIRC you also get a free membership for one family member included in the price.

https://www.pca.org/user/join/membership

You also get Panorama magazine and a few other benefits: https://www.pca.org/membership-benefits

PCA Upper Canada Region (Ontario) website.
https://pcaucr.org/
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jun 17 2019, 10:45 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 17 2019, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 07:03 AM) *

One year, $46 USD
Two year $90 USD
Three year $132 USD

You need to be over 18 and have a Porsche VIN number.
IIRC you also get a free membership for one family member included in the price.

https://www.pca.org/user/join/membership

You also get Panorama magazine and a few other benefits: https://www.pca.org/membership-benefits

PCA Upper Canada Region (Ontario) website.
https://pcaucr.org/

Thanks Mark, might see if we can make it. Sure want to...
Everyone could have a good laugh at my 914TD.

+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jun 17 2019, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Hi Patrick, hope you can join and be there! We need more racers. Dave from Eurotune is onboard and hoping to have his vintage race prepared 914-6 in attendance. Please contact me through SIG914 at pcaucr once you join and I'll add you to the contact list for all events.

[/quote]
[/quote]
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Jun 21 2019, 04:37 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 17 2019, 07:02 PM) *

Hi Patrick, hope you can join and be there! We need more racers. Dave from Eurotune is onboard and hoping to have his vintage race prepared 914-6 in attendance. Please contact me through SIG914 at pcaucr once you join and I'll add you to the contact list for all events.

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 03:03 AM) *

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 16 2019, 06:02 PM) *

Confirmed!
914 HONORED AT CTMP (MOSPORT) PCA Club Racing

CanAm Challenge
914s from all over the Northeast in the USA and Canada will converge at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) on Saturday August 3rd, to take over the infield and take in a day of watching PCA club racing. The day gets better with a
driving tour led by Mark Henry
which includes a tour of his shop and a stop for dinner. Then back to the track for a campout.

CTMP is an excellent place to camp with modern bathroom/shower facilities. See more on the PCA CanAm Challenge at pcaucr.org

On Sunday August 4th, attending 914s will take to the track for parade laps of this historic road course following a recreation of the 914 safety car that paced the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix (the first use of a safety car in F1).

PCA is your host at the track. This event is open to all PCA members. Not a member yet? Join now at pca.org

More info to follow on the driving tour.

Network here with other club members to create your own Northeast ramble to the track!

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

We're pretty low key, do some autocross only at this point. We're not fast but we have fun. Bought the car to drive though, not to look at. It shows, car will never win a concours! Going to try to make it but need to deal with some work scheduling first. I'm willing to be that if we make it we'll be the only diesel 914 on site.
Any chance there's a cheap motel close? These old bones don't like sleeping on the ground. Our camping is in a tent trailer and I don't have or want a hitch on the back of the 914. Haven't had the car on a trip that long yet.... might prove interesting. I'm an hour west of London.
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jun 22 2019, 09:16 AM
Post #7

Jun 17 2019, 07:02 PM']

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
We're pretty low key, do some autocross only at this point. We're not fast but we have fun. Bought the car to drive though, not to look at. It shows, car will never win a concours! Going to try to make it but need to deal with some work scheduling first. I'm willing to be that if we make it we'll be the only diesel 914 on site.
Any chance there's a cheap motel close? These old bones don't like sleeping on the ground. Our camping is in a tent trailer and I don't have or want a hitch on the back of the 914. Haven't had the car on a trip that long yet.... might prove interesting. I'm an hour west of London.
[/quote]

Hi Patrick, very cool that you're looking at coming. This is an event you won't want to miss for sure. Keep checking back here as there may be an online registration pop up as we may have to limit the number of 914s doing parade laps and the driving tour if our numbers exceed 50 cars (hoping for 100 coming from ON, PQ, and the US). As for accommodations, those with tired bones not into tohe air mattress and tent thing might wish to check out Airbnb as rooms around Bowmanville are available for $31 CAN (what is that, about $0.50 USD?). Counting the days and looking forward to bringing you some surprise additions to the schedule.
C'mon 914 faithful in the East - let's make this huge!
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jun 26 2019, 09:29 PM
Post #8

Please chime in here if you're thinking of coming so people can organize meetups to run in together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jun 28 2019, 10:42 PM
Post #9

Ttt
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Jun 30 2019, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

Hmmmm, only 8hrs 4 minutes from my home in Connecticut...

Minus 10% because of engine rebuild.

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Time to join PCA..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jun 30 2019, 10:36 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 30 2019, 11:12 AM) *

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Hey Beeliner, smells like teener spirit! You, sir, are receiving a refreshment for that drive!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hope you can make it for Saturday's driving tour to see Mark's place in addition to Sunday's parade!

Who's going to join up with Beeliner along his route on his East Coast Ramble???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jul 4 2019, 10:47 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 30 2019, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 30 2019, 11:12 AM) *

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Hey Beeliner, smells like teener spirit! You, sir, are receiving a t for that drive!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hope you can make it for Saturday's driving tour to see Mark's place in addition to Sunday's parade!

Who's going to join up with Beeliner along his route on his East Coast Ramble???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

ttt
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jul 5 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #13

Hello race fans! Check this out![size=7]! 1973 Video footage of 914 at Mosport.
So, you may know that the first use of a safety car in F1 was a 914 at the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport. See this short video for the history:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDAXHy4UD4#
But did you also know that there was a pre-race parade of 914s to chaffeur the celebrity drivers around the track? Racers included Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Graham Hill, Nikki Lauda, James Hunt and others. Check out this video - the parade happens at the 6:34 mark.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52sMdqUwZmg
Hoping to hear from more American friends coming to join us in recreating the Porsche 914 parade with laps around this famous circuit following a recreation of the 914 pace car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) The parade laps happen on Sunday at lunch time, following the 914 car corral, and they are FREE!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

And in case you missed it, admittance to CTMP (Mosport) for the CanAm Challenge and camping is also free!!!

This event is open to All PCA members.

Questions? Please ask here.

Thanks!

John Tipper
SIG 914 Advocate
PCA UCR
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Jul 5 2019, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,858

I will try to attend this event! Hopefully nothing interferes time wise. Mosport is always a great time and I encourage anyone else on the fence about going to attend. It is a world class track!

Pete
+Quote Post
David Billo
post Jul 5 2019, 03:05 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 21,625

My brother (Andrew) and I will attend, including the dinner and driving tour. Our '73 914 is not currently roadworthy, so we will be spectators for the parade laps. For the driving tour, well, we will use one of our own cars, unless there are empty seats available in a couple of the 914s.

I've been thinking about making contact with Mark Henry. My wife and I ski often at Brimacombe and probably pass within spitting distance of his place on the way there and back. (not that I would actually spit on his place)

I was thinking we would just commute the hour-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

I just joined the PCA, and got the additional family membership for my brother.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 5 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #16

that's what I do!

QUOTE(David Billo @ Jul 5 2019, 05:05 PM) *

My brother (Andrew) and I will attend, including the dinner and driving tour. Our '73 914 is not currently roadworthy, so we will be spectators for the parade laps. For the driving tour, well, we will use one of our own cars, unless there are empty seats available in a couple of the 914s.

I've been thinking about making contact with Mark Henry. My wife and I ski often at Brimacombe and probably pass within spitting distance of his place on the way there and back. (not that I would actually spit on his place)

I was thinking we would just commute the hour-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

I'm 10 minutes east of Brimacombe ski hill, not quite 30 minutes from Mosport.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jul 5 2019, 08:14 PM
Post #17

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2019, 01:26 PM) *

This means that A) I would need a passport, and B) might need to adjust my mental image for what Mark looks like. As a typical American I am a bit nervous about such prospects...
+Quote Post
14carrot
post Jul 5 2019, 10:22 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(worn @ Jul 5 2019, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2019, 01:26 PM) *

I was thinking we would just commute the ho

ur-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

This means that A) I would need a passport, and B) might need to adjust my mental image for what Mark looks like. As a typical American I am a bit nervous about such prospects...

Hey Worn, hoping you can make it. More refreshments are in order for you sir! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Now we need those driving in from points West including Chicagoland to chime in and join the ramble to the track. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) I should point out that if it helps, you can arrive at Mosport for camping anytime on Thursday and make a longer stay of it. I am planning on camping from Friday afternoon to ensure I'm present to welcome teeners as they roll in on Saturday. If you're driving into Canada with your personal vehicle the border customs should be a snap. For racers that may have unregistered vehicles here is a link with some helpful tips:
https://pcaucr.org/driving/club-race/border-crossing/
-John
PS, are you familiar with my '76? It used to be raced by Len Larson in Midwestern Council.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
slyder
post Jul 6 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,724

Really looking forward to this event at Mosport. The track is awesome and the driving tour will be a blast with a good group of teeners. I met Mark a couple years ago and look forward to seeing his shop.
Loading the 914 up with camping gear for the weekend will definitely bring back some memories of 35 years ago with my first 914.
Can't wait, any one on the fence should try and make it for sure.
Dave Nelson
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 10 2019, 07:53 AM
Post #20

that's what I do!

Hi John any idea on the numbers?
If we have dinner at Rhino's we'll need reservations.
Or do you want to do a BBQ at my place?
Either way it won't change the fun run route much.

@14carrot
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:32 AM