Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old thread for the 914 50th at Mosport, 2019
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
14carrot
This is the old thread for the 2019 914 50th Celebration at the PCA UCR CanAm club race at Mosport.

For details on the 2022 914 meet at the Mosport CanAm event please see our SIG914 Updates thread here in the garage forum and subscribe!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...341094&st=0
PatrickB
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 16 2019, 06:02 PM) *

Confirmed!
914 HONORED AT CTMP (MOSPORT) PCA Club Racing

CanAm Challenge
914s from all over the Northeast in the USA and Canada will converge at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) on Saturday August 3rd, to take over the infield and take in a day of watching PCA club racing. The day gets better with a
driving tour led by Mark Henry
which includes a tour of his shop and a stop for dinner. Then back to the track for a campout.

CTMP is an excellent place to camp with modern bathroom/shower facilities. See more on the PCA CanAm Challenge at pcaucr.org

On Sunday August 4th, attending 914s will take to the track for parade laps of this historic road course following a recreation of the 914 safety car that paced the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix (the first use of a safety car in F1).

Admittance to the event including camping and parade laps is free!

PCA is your host at the track. This event is open to all PCA members. Not a member yet? Join now at pca.org

More info to follow on the driving tour.

Talk it up and get your car ready now!

THIS IS AN EVENT NOT TO BE MISSED!
Network here with other club members to create your own Northeast ramble to the track!

Check in here often for updates.

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

Cost to join PCA??? Currently a member of WOSCA and do our performance driving with them, but this looks like fun!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 07:03 AM) *

Cost to join PCA??? Currently a member of WOSCA and do our performance driving with them, but this looks like fun!

One year, $46 USD
Two year $90 USD
Three year $132 USD

You need to be over 18 and have a Porsche VIN number.
IIRC you also get a free membership for one family member included in the price.

https://www.pca.org/user/join/membership

You also get Panorama magazine and a few other benefits: https://www.pca.org/membership-benefits

PCA Upper Canada Region (Ontario) website.
https://pcaucr.org/
PatrickB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 17 2019, 08:24 AM) *

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 07:03 AM) *

One year, $46 USD
Two year $90 USD
Three year $132 USD

You need to be over 18 and have a Porsche VIN number.
IIRC you also get a free membership for one family member included in the price.

https://www.pca.org/user/join/membership

You also get Panorama magazine and a few other benefits: https://www.pca.org/membership-benefits

PCA Upper Canada Region (Ontario) website.
https://pcaucr.org/

Thanks Mark, might see if we can make it. Sure want to...
Everyone could have a good laugh at my 914TD.

14carrot
Hi Patrick, hope you can join and be there! We need more racers. Dave from Eurotune is onboard and hoping to have his vintage race prepared 914-6 in attendance. Please contact me through SIG914 at pcaucr once you join and I'll add you to the contact list for all events.

[/quote]
[/quote]
PatrickB
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 17 2019, 07:02 PM) *

Hi Patrick, hope you can join and be there! We need more racers. Dave from Eurotune is onboard and hoping to have his vintage race prepared 914-6 in attendance. Please contact me through SIG914 at pcaucr once you join and I'll add you to the contact list for all events.

QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jun 17 2019, 03:03 AM) *

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 16 2019, 06:02 PM) *

Confirmed!
914 HONORED AT CTMP (MOSPORT) PCA Club Racing

CanAm Challenge
914s from all over the Northeast in the USA and Canada will converge at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) on Saturday August 3rd, to take over the infield and take in a day of watching PCA club racing. The day gets better with a
driving tour led by Mark Henry
which includes a tour of his shop and a stop for dinner. Then back to the track for a campout.

CTMP is an excellent place to camp with modern bathroom/shower facilities. See more on the PCA CanAm Challenge at pcaucr.org

On Sunday August 4th, attending 914s will take to the track for parade laps of this historic road course following a recreation of the 914 safety car that paced the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix (the first use of a safety car in F1).

PCA is your host at the track. This event is open to all PCA members. Not a member yet? Join now at pca.org

More info to follow on the driving tour.

Network here with other club members to create your own Northeast ramble to the track!

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

We're pretty low key, do some autocross only at this point. We're not fast but we have fun. Bought the car to drive though, not to look at. It shows, car will never win a concours! Going to try to make it but need to deal with some work scheduling first. I'm willing to be that if we make it we'll be the only diesel 914 on site.
Any chance there's a cheap motel close? These old bones don't like sleeping on the ground. Our camping is in a tent trailer and I don't have or want a hitch on the back of the 914. Haven't had the car on a trip that long yet.... might prove interesting. I'm an hour west of London.
14carrot
Jun 17 2019, 07:02 PM']

The countdown begins!

John Tipper
SIG914 Advocate
PCAUCR

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
We're pretty low key, do some autocross only at this point. We're not fast but we have fun. Bought the car to drive though, not to look at. It shows, car will never win a concours! Going to try to make it but need to deal with some work scheduling first. I'm willing to be that if we make it we'll be the only diesel 914 on site.
Any chance there's a cheap motel close? These old bones don't like sleeping on the ground. Our camping is in a tent trailer and I don't have or want a hitch on the back of the 914. Haven't had the car on a trip that long yet.... might prove interesting. I'm an hour west of London.
[/quote]

Hi Patrick, very cool that you're looking at coming. This is an event you won't want to miss for sure. Keep checking back here as there may be an online registration pop up as we may have to limit the number of 914s doing parade laps and the driving tour if our numbers exceed 50 cars (hoping for 100 coming from ON, PQ, and the US). As for accommodations, those with tired bones not into tohe air mattress and tent thing might wish to check out Airbnb as rooms around Bowmanville are available for $31 CAN (what is that, about $0.50 USD?). Counting the days and looking forward to bringing you some surprise additions to the schedule.
C'mon 914 faithful in the East - let's make this huge!
14carrot
Please chime in here if you're thinking of coming so people can organize meetups to run in together. driving.gif
14carrot
Ttt
Beeliner
Hmmmm, only 8hrs 4 minutes from my home in Connecticut...

Minus 10% because of engine rebuild.

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Time to join PCA..... driving.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 30 2019, 11:12 AM) *

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Hey Beeliner, smells like teener spirit! You, sir, are receiving a refreshment for that drive!! beerchug.gif

Hope you can make it for Saturday's driving tour to see Mark's place in addition to Sunday's parade!

Who's going to join up with Beeliner along his route on his East Coast Ramble???

driving.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jun 30 2019, 08:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Beeliner @ Jun 30 2019, 11:12 AM) *

7 hrs. 16 minutes....

Hey Beeliner, smells like teener spirit! You, sir, are receiving a t for that drive!! beerchug.gif

Hope you can make it for Saturday's driving tour to see Mark's place in addition to Sunday's parade!

Who's going to join up with Beeliner along his route on his East Coast Ramble???

driving.gif

ttt
14carrot
Hello race fans! Check this out![size=7]! 1973 Video footage of 914 at Mosport.
So, you may know that the first use of a safety car in F1 was a 914 at the 1973 Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport. See this short video for the history:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDAXHy4UD4#
But did you also know that there was a pre-race parade of 914s to chaffeur the celebrity drivers around the track? Racers included Jackie Stewart, Emerson Fittipaldi, Graham Hill, Nikki Lauda, James Hunt and others. Check out this video - the parade happens at the 6:34 mark.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=52sMdqUwZmg
Hoping to hear from more American friends coming to join us in recreating the Porsche 914 parade with laps around this famous circuit following a recreation of the 914 pace car. flag.gif The parade laps happen on Sunday at lunch time, following the 914 car corral, and they are FREE!!! smilie_pokal.gif

And in case you missed it, admittance to CTMP (Mosport) for the CanAm Challenge and camping is also free!!!

This event is open to All PCA members.

Questions? Please ask here.

Thanks!

John Tipper
SIG 914 Advocate
PCA UCR
peteyd
I will try to attend this event! Hopefully nothing interferes time wise. Mosport is always a great time and I encourage anyone else on the fence about going to attend. It is a world class track!

Pete
David Billo
My brother (Andrew) and I will attend, including the dinner and driving tour. Our '73 914 is not currently roadworthy, so we will be spectators for the parade laps. For the driving tour, well, we will use one of our own cars, unless there are empty seats available in a couple of the 914s.

I've been thinking about making contact with Mark Henry. My wife and I ski often at Brimacombe and probably pass within spitting distance of his place on the way there and back. (not that I would actually spit on his place)

I was thinking we would just commute the hour-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

I just joined the PCA, and got the additional family membership for my brother.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(David Billo @ Jul 5 2019, 05:05 PM) *

My brother (Andrew) and I will attend, including the dinner and driving tour. Our '73 914 is not currently roadworthy, so we will be spectators for the parade laps. For the driving tour, well, we will use one of our own cars, unless there are empty seats available in a couple of the 914s.

I've been thinking about making contact with Mark Henry. My wife and I ski often at Brimacombe and probably pass within spitting distance of his place on the way there and back. (not that I would actually spit on his place)

I was thinking we would just commute the hour-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

I'm 10 minutes east of Brimacombe ski hill, not quite 30 minutes from Mosport.
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2019, 01:26 PM) *

This means that A) I would need a passport, and B) might need to adjust my mental image for what Mark looks like. As a typical American I am a bit nervous about such prospects...
14carrot
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 5 2019, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 5 2019, 01:26 PM) *

I was thinking we would just commute the ho

ur-and-a-half to the event from my place rather than stay at the venue. Might change our minds about that before then.

This means that A) I would need a passport, and B) might need to adjust my mental image for what Mark looks like. As a typical American I am a bit nervous about such prospects...

Hey Worn, hoping you can make it. More refreshments are in order for you sir! beerchug.gif Now we need those driving in from points West including Chicagoland to chime in and join the ramble to the track. driving.gif I should point out that if it helps, you can arrive at Mosport for camping anytime on Thursday and make a longer stay of it. I am planning on camping from Friday afternoon to ensure I'm present to welcome teeners as they roll in on Saturday. If you're driving into Canada with your personal vehicle the border customs should be a snap. For racers that may have unregistered vehicles here is a link with some helpful tips:
https://pcaucr.org/driving/club-race/border-crossing/
-John
PS, are you familiar with my '76? It used to be raced by Len Larson in Midwestern Council.
Click to view attachment
slyder
Really looking forward to this event at Mosport. The track is awesome and the driving tour will be a blast with a good group of teeners. I met Mark a couple years ago and look forward to seeing his shop.
Loading the 914 up with camping gear for the weekend will definitely bring back some memories of 35 years ago with my first 914.
Can't wait, any one on the fence should try and make it for sure.
Dave Nelson
Mark Henry
Hi John any idea on the numbers?
If we have dinner at Rhino's we'll need reservations.
Or do you want to do a BBQ at my place?
Either way it won't change the fun run route much.

@14carrot
14carrot
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 10 2019, 05:53 AM) *

@14carrot

Hard to gauge numbers. I'll PM you about option of making online registration. That might help.
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 10 2019, 06:07 AM) *

@14carrot

Hard to gauge numbers. I'll PM you about option of making online registration. That might help.

PS - a BBQ at the Henry's would be awesome if we can handle the numbers.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 10 2019, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 10 2019, 06:07 AM) *

@14carrot

PS - a BBQ at the Henry's would be awesome if we can handle the numbers.

My front lawn is a couple acres shades.gif
Only issue would be a backup plan in case of rain. Rhino's could be the back-up plan.
I'd also need to borrow a BBQ, we haven't had one since I put in the pro range.
PatrickB

Just tried to join PCA so I can get in on this, came up with an error. Will try again.... plan is to go.
PatrickB
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 11 2019, 08:44 PM) *

Just tried to join PCA so I can get in on this, came up with an error. Will try again.... plan is to go.

I'm in! Not sure yet if we're going Friday night or Saturday morning.
Question:
In our autocross club no one goes on the track without wearing helmets, do we need to bring our helmets to take part in the parade laps?
14carrot
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 11 2019, 05:16 PM) *

Question:
In our autocross club no one goes on the track without wearing helmets, do we need to bring our helmets to take part in the parade laps?

Good question. Sunday's parade lap participants must attend a driver's meeting and sign appropriate waivers, but no helmet is reqiured. Parade laps are paced with no passing, controlled not to exceed 100kmph which will still give a good feel of the famous turn 2 and accelerating out of Moss Corner up the Mario Andretti back straight. Can't wait, this will be a blast!
14carrot

Question:

Good question. Sunday's parade lap participants must attend a driver's meeting and sign appropriate waivers, but no helmet is reqiured. Parade laps are paced with no passing, controlled not to exceed 100kmph which will still give a good feel of the famous turn 2 and accelerating out of Moss Corner up the Mario Andretti back straight. Can't wait, this will be a blast!

For Sunday, it is now being planned that instead of making the car corral on the infield green, that the attending 914s will take centre stage with a display flanking the winner's podium between the PCA and BMW racers' paddocks, with overflow skirting the PCA paddock.

Make sure you have a dash cam to record the driving tour and parade laps.

This is going to be great - Don't miss this event!
14carrot
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 12 2019, 07:29 AM) *

Question:

For Sunday, it is now being planned that instead of making the car corral on the infield green, that the attending 914s will take centre stage with a display flanking the winner's podium between the PCA and BMW racers' paddocks, with overflow skirting the PCA paddock.

Make sure you have a dash cam to record the driving tour and parade laps.

This is going to be great - Don't miss this event!

Details updated in lead post and RSVP requested.
JeffBowlsby
Sounds like a great event! Wish I could attend, but its 3000 miles away. The CanAm series is where the 914 LE's were conceived and their namesake.
cdn914
Should be great celebration of the 914 with fellow 914ers. I plan to fly down and thumb a ride in a fourteen (as I will not have mine). 50th anniversary - only comes around once. Click to view attachment
14carrot
Hi Gord,
Thanks for posting a pic of your car.
Let's get all attendees to post pics of their cars idea.gif
Here's the "before shots of the yellow '72 that is being converted to a tribute to the first safety car in F1.
I'll post more pics after the transformation.
John
14carrot
The pictures were taken in Australia.
PatrickB
914TD

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Took these the day I bought it to tease my brother, car is in his driveway. He was out of the country. He had the first 914 in the family a whole bunch of years ago.
I wouldn't have built the car this way, but it was solid enough that I bought it.
slyder
Just thought I would share a pic of my 71 1.7.
Looking forward to meeting more of you on Aug 4th
DaveClick to view attachment
wobbletop
Just saw this... how do I RSVP?

peteyd
Click to view attachment
14carrot
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Jul 17 2019, 10:11 AM) *

Just saw this... how do I RSVP?

Email and PM sent.
Simply pm or email me for registration details.
This is a must do event.
If I wasn't already part of it I'd drive 1000 miles to make this one. C'mon out! We need more "Am" flag.gif in the CanAm! driving.gif

BTW Pete, your car looks killer with the Fuchs blacked out. Can't wait to see it in person.
wobbletop
Click to view attachment
14carrot
...speaking of CanAm, thank you to Jeff Bowlsby for his earlier post to endorse this event. Here is a well known CanAm in our parts, the Bumblebee LE of David and Carrie Tipton which will be on display, doing parade laps and joining the road tour to Mark Henry's place for the shop tour and BBQ.
I can't say it enough - this event is going to be great - and even better with you and your teener. Please join us!
John Tipper
14carrot
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Jul 17 2019, 08:05 PM) *

Wow! Super nice! It always amazes me when people can stuff a 7" Fuchs in a narrow body. Nicely done!
Looking forward to meeting you and checking out your car.
John
PatrickB
Looking forward to it.... got the email last night that my parts shipped from Atlanta.
PatrickB
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Jul 18 2019, 05:46 AM) *

Looking forward to it.... got the email last night that my parts shipped from Atlanta.

Parts shipped 17th, delivered 18th! Cross border! WTG FedEx! Anyone got recommendations on which groove to use on the shocks? 150 lb springs and the car might be a hair heavier in the back than stock.
TonyA
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jul 14 2019, 05:23 PM) *

Sounds like a great event! Wish I could attend, but its 3000 miles away. The CanAm series is where the 914 LE's were conceived and their namesake.

Jeff: I am a little closer than you so if I get my Expired passport in time and my trailer checked out I’ll bring my Creamsicle up to represent the LE’s
Mr Bee
Not to worrie Jeff I'll have my bumblebee there reprsenting the LE's
CheersDavid and Carrie Tipton
Happy birthday for Porsche 914s. .
Mr Bee
QUOTE(Mr Bee @ Jul 19 2019, 12:11 AM) *

Not to worrie Jeff I'll have my bumblebee there reprsenting the LE's
CheersDavid and Carrie Tipton
Happy birthday for Porsche 914s. .

Click to view attachment
Garland
What a great opportunity, I’ll be heading in from Michigan, arriving Saturday night.
Can’t wait, working on a few new things before the trip.
Heading East again,
Here’s returning from Octeenerfest. And 3rd lamp I’ve been working on extending.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mr Bee
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 23 2019, 04:15 PM) *

What a great opportunity, I’ll be heading in from Michigan, arriving Saturday night.
Can’t wait, working on a few new things before the trip.
Heading East again,
Here’s returning from Octeenerfest. And 3rd lamp I’ve been working on extending.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

FANTASTIC CAN'T WAIT!.

GO 914 GO.
14carrot
ALL THE WAY FROM TEXAS! flag.gif We are pleased to be welcoming Mark Gohlke and his race prepped 914. Check out Mark's car in race action at the CanAm. Mark will be one of the cars pacing us in the 914 50th Parade of the historic Mosport track. Please join us! smilie_pokal.gif Click to view attachment
gamerca
Really looking forward to this awesome event. I will be bringing my 72 914.

tim
14carrot
One week away!
Calling all 914s to attend!
There is still room to register for the parade laps and other 914 events.
Arrival on Saturday is strongly recommended to avoid traffic. Some of us are camping at the track Saturday night (free) and you are welcome to join us!
A photo shoot will take place at the car show and during parade laps for publication in the Provinz magazine and for submission to Panorama, Porsche Canada and Porsche AG.
Of course, we'll follow up with pics here and at the 914World Facebook site..
Please be advised that parade laps participants are required to attend a mandatory safety meeting at noon on Sunday, so don't be late! We'd appreciate all cars onsite before the show begins at 10 a.m. if at all possible. PCAUCR is sponsoring prizes at the show.

Be a part of the celebration!

Please contact me to register.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.