Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old thread for the 914 50th at Mosport, 2019
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Betty
QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 24 2019, 03:23 PM) *

ALL THE WAY FROM TEXAS! flag.gif We are pleased to be welcoming Mark Gohlke and his race prepped 914. Check out Mark's car in race action at the CanAm. Mark will be one of the cars pacing us in the 914 50th Parade of the historic Mosport track. Please join us! smilie_pokal.gif Click to view attachment

Mark is a great guy! Make a chance to sit and talk with him, he's got lots of great stories. first.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 27 2019, 04:27 AM) *

QUOTE(14carrot @ Jul 24 2019, 03:23 PM) *

ALL THE WAY FROM TEXAS! flag.gif We are pleased to be welcoming Mark Gohlke and his race prepped 914. Check out Mark's car in race action at the CanAm. Mark will be one of the cars pacing us in the 914 50th Parade of the historic Mosport track. Please join us! smilie_pokal.gif Click to view attachment

Mark is a great guy! Make a chance to sit and talk with him, he's got lots of great stories. first.gif

Yup, looking forward to hanging with the American crew. Mark's car is a great one to capture the spirit of the CanAm. All of us teeners will be cheering him on as he eats up the field of 24 Porsches in the red group sprints running GT4. Go Mark go! flag.gif
PLEASE JOIN US!!!
Mark Henry
Busy tonight, engine going back in. piratenanner.gif
14carrot
Looking good Mark! Very happy for you and looking forward to the video of it running in the car! smilie_pokal.gif
Mark Henry
If you don't want to camp or leave stuff at the track you can camp at my place, leave trailers, RV, run extension cords, campfire, a couple beers, etc.
My place is quiet, secluded and secure, at least two acres of lawn that can be used.

Mosport is about 25 minutes N/W from here and the Port Hope Comfort Inn is about 15-20 minutes S/E away.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 29 2019, 09:53 PM) *

If you don't want to camp or leave stuff at the track you can camp at my place, leave trailers, RV, run extension cords, campfire, a couple beers, etc.
My place is quiet, secluded and secure, at least two acres of lawn that can be used.

Mosport is about 25 minutes N/W from here and the Port Hope Comfort Inn is about 15-20 minutes S/E away.

Thanks Mark! going to play it by ear (prefer a hotel but not finding what I want, guess I'm cheap). Planning on staying at the track Saturday night, sunday night haven't decided yet. Not big on sleeping on the ground.

If only I could put my tent trailer behind the 914.....
cdn914
I will be in Southern Ontario this coming weekend for the event at Mosport (flying down). I may have some extra time on my hands on Saturday.

Gord
14carrot
QUOTE(cdn914 @ Jul 31 2019, 04:03 PM) *

I will be in Southern Ontario this coming weekend for the event at Mosport (flying down). I may have some extra time on my hands on Saturday.

Gord

Hey Gord,
Dave Pateman and I will be at the track Saturday afternoon. Our American friends are also rolling in Saturday, as is Patrick B.
To everyone out there, Gord is a longtime teener with vast experience willing to share his knowledge, so feel free to reach out and use the opportunity to meetup and chat.
cdn914
Looking forward to meeting up at the track on Saturday.
PatrickB
Click to view attachment
On the road to Mosport.
Garland
As the door goes up sun is shining in Michigan, here we go!

Click to view attachment
PatrickB
Almost made it.... just broke something just off the end of the 407. Cv joint mahbe ?
PatrickB
If anyone knows a cheap wrecker close...
wobbletop
Oil change before the drive to mosport tomorrow. Click to view attachment
PatrickB
Talked to a tow truck operator and to Mark Henry..... headed to Mark's when the wrecker gets here
wobbletop
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 3 2019, 02:44 PM) *

Talked to a tow truck operator and to Mark Henry..... headed to Mark's when the wrecker gets here

That's what I would suggest!
PatrickB
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 3 2019, 04:05 PM) *

Made it. Should be running in.the morning.
PatrickB
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 3 2019, 07:09 PM) *

QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 3 2019, 04:05 PM) *

Made it. Should be running in.the morning.

I guess that's why the wife hasn't heard from you... headbang.gif
Garland
Not sure how I did this, but somehow my phone was taking B&W photos. But I think it’s fitting.

Click to view attachment
Garland
Isn’t it funny how things work out. This was not planned on my trip from Ontario to Michigan.
This was shortly after crossing the blue water bridge.
And I have to say what a great event, great people and a fabulous campfire
I’ll be posting some track videos tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

wobbletop
My car made it all the way to the entrance gate at Mosport, then refused to start. George took me around the track in his beautiful signal orange 914. I then called CAA to take my car home, so I missed out on the driving tour and BBQ at Mark's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uz72GRy9A
PatrickB
Was a great weekend, thanks everyone! Made it back home with no issues. Made the round trip without stopping for fuel... Gauge still says 1/4 tank. THAT's a big part of the reasons for the swap I did! Odometer isn't good, but the round trip with the tour had to be at least 700 km.

And thanks again to Mark Henry! Tour and barbeque was great, and I wouldn't have been able to do any of it without his help repairing the car!
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 4 2019, 05:54 PM) *

Isn’t it funny how things work out. This was not planned on my trip from Ontario to Michigan.
This was shortly after crossing the blue water bridge.
And I have to say what a great event, great people and a fabulous campfire
I’ll be posting some track videos tomorrow.

Click to view attachment

Hey John, super hanging out with you and swapping stories. Hats off to the teener faithful like John that go any distance for a 914 experience. Great weekend, great people. Big thank you to Kim and Elizabeth for all the food prep and awesome hospitality - can hardly wait for next year. Looking forward to September 29th for Mont Tremblant! Stay tuned!
Mark Henry
I'm totally burnt out, show was a success and I now have a running /6. piratenanner.gif

Got the /6 oil leak repaired, the gasket between the chain and cam housings got fuched up on install. Of course it was the only gasket I didn't have so I had to make one, but I got 'er done.
PatrickB's 914 arrived on a flatbed, bolts fell out/broke of an outboard CV, so first thing Sunday I had it on the lift removed the half shaft, chased the threads and found some bolts for it.
Did 40 minutes of laps at the track, had a parade of some 20 914's from Mosport to my place for a cool meet and greet and BBQ

Everyone had a good time, I always like putting faces to user names, and I met 914'ers from the area I didn't even know about.

Because we now have PCA support, plus their show and fun run insurance, this is very likely going to become a yearly event. The track time was generously donated by the PCA and the racers because of the 914's 50th, don't know if we can swing that again, but the fun run and show/BBQ for sure.
Mark Henry
Walter, sorry for missing you when we left for the fun run, we felt bad for ditching you like that. Hope you and your wife got home OK and that you engine issues are nothing serious.
PatrickB
QUOTE(PatrickB @ Aug 5 2019, 12:06 AM) *

Was a great weekend, thanks everyone! Made it back home with no issues. Made the round trip without stopping for fuel... Gauge still says 1/4 tank. THAT's a big part of the reasons for the swap I did! Odometer isn't good, but the round trip with the tour had to be at least 700 km.

And thanks again to Mark Henry! Tour and barbeque was great, and I wouldn't have been able to do any of it without his help repairing the car!

Correction....
Google tells me my round trip was 791 kms... ( somehow we missed the turn off the 407 and went home through Hamilton, I'm blaming my navigator) and the gauge shows me 1/4 tank still. Potential is there for better yet with a taller gear.
Thanks again to Mark and family! their yard was a great place to pitch a tent for the night.
Mark Henry
Tony just picked up his 914 and trailer and is on his way home to PA.

Patrick you forgot your hoodie and someone forgot their lawn chairs.
PatrickB
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2019, 10:24 AM) *

Tony just picked up his 914 and trailer and is on his way home to PA.

Patrick you forgot your hoodie and someone forgot their lawn chairs.

Have a good trip tony!
If I get the hoody back at some point... great. If not... no big loss but thanks! Lawn chairs aren't mine though
wobbletop
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2019, 06:32 AM) *

Walter, sorry for missing you when we left for the fun run, we felt bad for ditching you like that. Hope you and your wife got home OK and that you engine issues are nothing serious.

No problem. I was wondering what was taking so long to start your tour. I was going to give you back your coil when you drove by.

Left the car on the charger overnight and it started right up this morning. So frustrating that I missed everything due to a bad battery maybe? Or bad alternator?

14carrot
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2019, 02:32 AM) *

Ditto on that. What a heartbreak to be sooo close! So glad you were able to thumb a ride in the parade laps! Hope your car is back to life very soon.

A few pics from the track....Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
14carrot
More pics...Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
14carrot
Click to view attachment
Tim the night before the big day....
14carrot
...and with the signClick to view attachment
David Billo
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2019, 10:24 AM) *

....and someone forgot their lawn chairs.

...erm...yes...sorry, those are mine. We realized it part way home. Just stuff 'em in a corner out of your way and I will drop by and get them some time, who knows when.

Thanks again for leading us around the driving tour and to you, Kim and Elizabeth for hosting the BBQ. It was truly a memorable experience.
David Billo
Since we had never been to Mosport, my brother and I arrived Saturday morning to get the lay of the land, and watch some of the Can/Am PCA Sprint racing. Almost immediately we bumped into John Tipper and Dave Pateman. I realized that all you really need in life is a 914 and bag of Tostitos.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
14carrot
amen to that brother

Just an FYI to everyone - please cross post your pics at the 914World Facebook site, where we have an album started.

Go to the album tab at the top and post 'em all!

So looking forward to making this happen all over again at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant September 29th to further celebrate the 914 50th and pay tribute to Jacques Duval, George Nicholas and Robert Bailey for their big win at Daytona in '71. More on that to follow in the other thread here in the garage.

Mark Henry
Glad we had good weather, torrential downpour here right now.
I'll try to post some show pics tonight.
TonyA
Yes it was a fantastic event, Thanks to John for arraigning everything thanks to Mark and his family and hospitality. Enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing all of their cars. The camp sites were great many trees to hang my hammock. I must admit first time on a track and I was scared to death but would do it again in a heartbeat. You all were very open and welcoming to the Americans Aey beerchug.gif smile.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 6 2019, 08:01 AM) *

Yes it was a fantastic event, Thanks to John for arraigning everything thanks to Mark and his family and hospitality. Enjoyed meeting everyone and seeing all of their cars. The camp sites were great many trees to hang my hammock. I must admit first time on a track and I was scared to death but would do it again in a heartbeat. You all were very open and welcoming to the Americans Aey beerchug.gif smile.gif

The participation from you, John T (garland2) and Mark Gohlke really made all the work worthwhile. What would a CanAm be without the Am? Hopefully we can do this again and get even more participation from our American buds. flag.gif
Love the Phillie accent. "Quarry" eh!

To anyone in the great U S of A who sat on the fence for this one, we are hoping to do it again at Mont Tremblant with a special tribute to Jacques Duval. This one will be very special if we can do everything we're hoping to. Keep the weekend of September 28-29 open and keep watching the garage for more info on this. Mont Tremblant needs to be on everyone's bucket list of places to go. Absolutely amazing place and perfect for a 914 tour. Click to view attachment
ninetwodigits
Thanks to John, Mark & fam, Kathleen and anyone else involved with organizing Sunday's fantastic event. Thanks, Gord, Tony and Mark for making the effort to attend from farther than most of the rest of us. Everyone's 914 passion inspired me to set up a username here on 914 World. You can have a guess at my identity based on the video, attached. (Thanks, Gord, for shooting it from my car's passenger seat.)

https://youtu.be/5dIfhjGiRQU
David Billo
QUOTE(14carrot @ Aug 6 2019, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(TonyA @ Aug 6 2019, 08:01 AM) *

Yes it was a fantastic event,...You all were very open and welcoming to the Americans

The participation from you, John T (garland2) and Mark Gohlke really made all the work worthwhile. What would a CanAm be without the Am?...

I second that! John T. was my "driver" for the Parade Laps, and really gave me an amazing ride despite the speed limit imposed.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Mark and Rose were super gracious even when my brother and I interrupted them in the middle of refueling. Here's Mark lighting up the track heading towards turn 5. The fast shutter speed makes it looks like he's parked, but trust me...he was moving!Click to view attachment
David Billo
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 4 2019, 11:10 PM) *

My car made it all the way to the entrance gate at Mosport, then refused to start. George took me around the track in his beautiful signal orange 914. I then called CAA to take my car home, so I missed out on the driving tour and BBQ at Mark's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uz72GRy9A

Who shot this video, Walter?
wobbletop
QUOTE(David Billo @ Aug 6 2019, 05:39 PM) *

My wife. I thought she did ok. smile.gif
14carrot
QUOTE(wobbletop @ Aug 6 2019, 02:47 PM) *

QUOTE(David Billo @ Aug 6 2019, 05:39 PM) *

My wife. I thought she did ok. smile.gif

Much better than okay. It's perfect. The sight of Tim's tribute to the 1973 Mosport Pace Car coming down to the start/finish line makes for a nice comparison to the historic shot from the 1973 Can Am. If only the driver's side flag didn't go flying away along the Mario Andretti Straightaway. At least nobody's car got whacked by it!
Thanks for posting the video!!!!
Click to view attachment
TonyA
I am still trying to find the link for this shirt. I will send to everyone once I find it. Anyway here is a picture that should be in the CanAm group of pictures.
Garland
Here is the link to the video, from this Great event.

CAN/AM 2019 #Getting on the Track

Click to view attachment
wobbletop
Great video.. shows what an awesome day it was.

However, I'm never a fan of music in car videos. I'd like to hear the car.
TonyA
Video looks good... I heard that one of the cameras fell off at some point. That video would be great to see as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.