Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool 914 Flow Simulation, What's the air look like around a 914 at 100mph?
Bleyseng
post Jul 13 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #21

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a Ducktail would help breakup that low pressure area in the rear of the car
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jul 13 2019, 03:18 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 22,011
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 13 2019, 02:55 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Jul 12 2019, 05:01 PM) *

Can you add the flaps at the bottom of the firewall?

The only problem is that your model will treat the engine area as a flat surface, not a cavity.

Thanks for the link. Your right though. The model I used is very basic and doesnt have an engine cavity, which makes a huge difference if you wanted to look at pressure plots (downforce) or heat transfer.

Solidworks is perfectly capable of doing both of those and I've got a suspicion that the engine cavity of the car acts like a baloon at high speeds. When I get the chance, I'll try to put in a basic engine cavity and see if there's a vw engine on Grabcad to put in there. That should give better results when looking at the rear of the car @Andyrew . I'll also run at higher speeds.

@wndsrfr Very, very nice car. I'll test out a variety of front and rear spoilers at some point. Thanks for the ride height info.

Long term goal is to get a better computer set up at home so I'm not limited to using my work computer after hours. That would give me a bigger time window.

+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 13 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #23

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I have Solidworks at home on a decent comp. Wasn't intuitive to use so haven't gotten very far with playing with it, but I could probably crunch data with it overnight if I had files and a how-to.
+Quote Post
Joemo5
post Jul 13 2019, 05:19 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 22,011
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jul 13 2019, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Joemo5 @ Jul 12 2019, 08:19 PM) *

@IronHillRestorations Sure. If I get some more free time I'll add them in. I don't know what they look like though. My car came partially disassembled. Got any pics?

More important than flaps are likely spinning wheels to be honest. Lots change when wheels move and the ground moves in my experience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

SW started using a version of Mentor FloEFD-does it let you set turbulence models and all of that fun stuff? It used to be limited to a heavily damped k-e model to solve fast.

Neat stuff!

Those are good suggestions. I'm still in my infancy when it comes to CFD analysis. Figuring out how to make the wheels spin sounds involved.

I dont know what turbulence models Solidworks used but I didnt dive in too deep when setting up the analysis. I used the wizard and let it choose based on my inputs. However, it was able to solve 108,000 cells in 20 mins using 8 cores, which is very fast compared to the Star CCM software I've used.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 07:24 AM