Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Standard air box for 3.2 in a 914-6, it does fit?!?
PNW_Boxer993
post Jul 13 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hi all,
I purchased a 914-6 with a 3.2 motor installed. A cone filter was used instead of the standard air box. I would like to use the standard air box, and researched the forum to understand that it will fit. It appears from the photo found on this forum (thank you member) that the configuration is different, and additional breather holes were made.

Attached Image

Below is my current configuration with the cone filter. Before taking the wrenches to it, what knowledge should I glean from this forum about making the change? Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! Cheers, Tony

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 13 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

You go to your flaps, buy an 4” extension with a rubber connector (about $10-15) cut off the shaped end so just the tube remains and hose clamp to the flapper box and curved rubber intake. I went to Lowe’s and bought some 1” flat metal stock and made a bracket from the aluminum intake to the bottom of the flapper box. I used a vise to bend the stock and drilled a couple holes to bolt it together. Took an hour or two to get it all fit and assembled. I did leave the curved snorkel off the air box. It all fits nicely in the engine bay without have my to remove the lid or any engine parts.

Don’t drill any extra holes in the air box. It just adds more noise.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 13 2019, 08:56 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM) *

You go to your flaps, buy an 4” extension with a rubber connector (about $10-15) cut off the shaped end so just the tube remains and hose clamp to the flapper box and curved rubber intake. I went to Lowe’s and bought some 1” flat metal stock and made a bracket from the aluminum intake to the bottom of the flapper box. I used a vise to bend the stock and drilled a couple holes to bolt it together. Took an hour or two to get it all fit and assembled. I did leave the curved snorkel off the air box. It all fits nicely in the engine bay without have my to remove the lid or any engine parts.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
That’s my car with the stock air box. I bought the 4” extension from Pep Boys. The assorted L brackets were Home Depot. I read in some Porsche magazine to cut the holes if you wanted more intake sound.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 13 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2019, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM) *

That’s my car with the stock air box. I bought the 4” extension from Pep Boys. The assorted L brackets were Home Depot. I read in some Porsche magazine to cut the holes if you wanted more intake sound.

I'm pretty sure Steve told me how to do mine. I also bought the extension from pep boys. I used my chop saw to get rid of the formed end. It's just thin plastic so the saw did it in a second.I think the snorkel got in the way of my backdated heat ducts.
+Quote Post
PNW_Boxer993
post Jul 13 2019, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Steve - you caught me. Thank you for the photo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . I noticed that you added the holes - and now I understand why.

Mark - thank you for your reply. I have witnessed you are extremely generous with your advice - appreciate your assistance.

Thank you both (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Tony
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jul 14 2019, 07:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here is mine...not the best picture but I used mine unmodified. ] Jim

Attached Image
+Quote Post
PNW_Boxer993
post Jul 14 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Thank you Jim!
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jul 14 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #8

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

[quote name='mepstein' date='Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM' post='2729882']

--------Don’t drill any extra holes in the air box. It just adds more noise.------

If you want more power, Put a Steve Wong chip in and you will be so happy. Smother and more power across the power band. You will feel the difference. I did in my 3.2 in my Carrera that is now Dax’s
in Belgium

Bob B

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 14 2019, 04:15 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Love my steve Wong chip, mb911 heat exchangers and muffler.
+Quote Post
scallyk9
post Jul 14 2019, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 20,499

Thank you for this post and all the helpful information everyone. I have the 915, mb911 heat exchangers and muffler, axles, 3.2 airbox, et cetera ready to install but had to do some machining on one of the Martin Bott 916 kit parts to prevent binding. Here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, the cone intake made me nervous.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 14 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Sounds like it’s going to be a great setup.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:40 PM