Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard air box for 3.2 in a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PNW_Boxer993
Hi all,
I purchased a 914-6 with a 3.2 motor installed. A cone filter was used instead of the standard air box. I would like to use the standard air box, and researched the forum to understand that it will fit. It appears from the photo found on this forum (thank you member) that the configuration is different, and additional breather holes were made.

Click to view attachment

Below is my current configuration with the cone filter. Before taking the wrenches to it, what knowledge should I glean from this forum about making the change? Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! Cheers, Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
You go to your flaps, buy an 4” extension with a rubber connector (about $10-15) cut off the shaped end so just the tube remains and hose clamp to the flapper box and curved rubber intake. I went to Lowe’s and bought some 1” flat metal stock and made a bracket from the aluminum intake to the bottom of the flapper box. I used a vise to bend the stock and drilled a couple holes to bolt it together. Took an hour or two to get it all fit and assembled. I did leave the curved snorkel off the air box. It all fits nicely in the engine bay without have my to remove the lid or any engine parts.

Don’t drill any extra holes in the air box. It just adds more noise.

welcome.png
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM) *

You go to your flaps, buy an 4” extension with a rubber connector (about $10-15) cut off the shaped end so just the tube remains and hose clamp to the flapper box and curved rubber intake. I went to Lowe’s and bought some 1” flat metal stock and made a bracket from the aluminum intake to the bottom of the flapper box. I used a vise to bend the stock and drilled a couple holes to bolt it together. Took an hour or two to get it all fit and assembled. I did leave the curved snorkel off the air box. It all fits nicely in the engine bay without have my to remove the lid or any engine parts.

welcome.png

agree.gif
That’s my car with the stock air box. I bought the 4” extension from Pep Boys. The assorted L brackets were Home Depot. I read in some Porsche magazine to cut the holes if you wanted more intake sound.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2019, 10:56 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif
That’s my car with the stock air box. I bought the 4” extension from Pep Boys. The assorted L brackets were Home Depot. I read in some Porsche magazine to cut the holes if you wanted more intake sound.

I'm pretty sure Steve told me how to do mine. I also bought the extension from pep boys. I used my chop saw to get rid of the formed end. It's just thin plastic so the saw did it in a second.I think the snorkel got in the way of my backdated heat ducts.
PNW_Boxer993
Steve - you caught me. Thank you for the photo smile.gif . I noticed that you added the holes - and now I understand why.

Mark - thank you for your reply. I have witnessed you are extremely generous with your advice - appreciate your assistance.

Thank you both smile.gif . Tony
jim912928
Here is mine...not the best picture but I used mine unmodified. ] Jim

Click to view attachment
PNW_Boxer993
Thank you Jim!
burton73
[quote name='mepstein' date='Jul 13 2019, 07:33 PM' post='2729882']

--------Don’t drill any extra holes in the air box. It just adds more noise.------

agree.gif

If you want more power, Put a Steve Wong chip in and you will be so happy. Smother and more power across the power band. You will feel the difference. I did in my 3.2 in my Carrera that is now Dax’s
in Belgium

Bob B

Steve

agree.gif
Love my steve Wong chip, mb911 heat exchangers and muffler.
scallyk9
Thank you for this post and all the helpful information everyone. I have the 915, mb911 heat exchangers and muffler, axles, 3.2 airbox, et cetera ready to install but had to do some machining on one of the Martin Bott 916 kit parts to prevent binding. Here in the rainy Pacific Northwest, the cone intake made me nervous.
mepstein
Sounds like it’s going to be a great setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.