Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Found the fuel filter....
advman89
post Jul 22 2019, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,286
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Does this look correct? This is on the passenger side, in front of the rear tire. I had been looking for something like the Mahle canister.

Attached Image

(Sorry for the bad pic!)
Pelican sent me a Mahle filter...round, not square...can I use this?
Part# 311-133-511-D-M67
Mahle KL 11 OF

1971 Car, 2.0 with some various bits from a 1975...just trying to sort what's what.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jul 23 2019, 04:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

The original location of the fuel pump and filter were not an idea location. Not only change the fuel filter down there but the fuel hoses to avoid fires. Get High pressure fuel hoses. The original filters were square. Also get the correct fuel hose clamps too.
+Quote Post
advman89
post Jul 23 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Thank you...

Guess that full fuel line hose replacement is happening...I've seen one too many of these up in flames.

I have a note to Tangerine (Chris Foley) to see which set I should get. Let's go tank to injectors!

+Quote Post
advman89
post Aug 25 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #4

Ugh.

I'm hoping someone can help!

Where is the damn fuel pump?

1971 914. 1975 2.0 and various bits...

The fuel filer is the boxy one, under the car...but need locate it so I can order lines. I just pullled up the gas tank and I don't see it under there. I thought that's where I'd find it.

Is it the shiny silver pump here?

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
dabird
post Aug 25 2019, 10:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,025
Region Association: None

Take the plate off that's covering the steering rack underneath the front of the car . It's probably been relocated to there
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

On a '71 the fuel pump is under the pass. side engine shelf near where you found the fuel filter. Follow the fuel lines from the filter and you should find it.

That shiny round thing on top of your engine is the mps sensor which should be mounted to the small bracket next to the battery tray.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
advman89
post Aug 26 2019, 09:45 AM
Post #7

Thanks everyone. This car is so much the flipside from my 911...I wanted a project...and I got it.

I didn't think that was the pump, but figured I'd ask. Someone was trying to convince me otherwise.

I'll follow the lines from the filter, but if it's in there, is buried up pretty good, I cant see anything on first/second glance. All I need is a confirmation to make the order with Chris F.

Is there a place in the engine bay (or more accessable location) people relocate the pump and filter?

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 26 2019, 10:10 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yes, but not in the engine bay!

It has to be low - lower then the gas tank or there isnt any fuel gravity fed to the pump. Its own issue.

most people relocate them to the front trunk under the gas tank, or under the front trunk near the steering rack.

The factory changed the location in 75-76 cars and had an opening low on the pass side of the front trunk under the tank, and many people re-create that with earlier cars. Its a much better set up.

Zach
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 26 2019, 09:10 AM) *
The factory changed the location in 75-76 cars and had an opening low on the pass side of the front trunk under the tank, and many people re-create that with earlier cars. Its a much better set up.

One thing to consider when relocating the fuel pump to the front:

With the old stock setup the plastic lines through the center tunnel were LOW pressure with the pump sucking fuel through them and the filter, then building pressure in only a short run of fuel lines from just under the engine shelf.

If you relocate the pump (and filter) to the front, you are now running HIGH pressure through 40 year old plastic fuel lines that were never designed to handle such pressure.

When i did my conversion, i had to mount the pump under the tank (993 pumps aren't good at sucking) so i replaced the plastic lines with the stainless steel fuel lines through the center tunnel.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 26 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2019, 12:55 PM) *

With the old stock setup the plastic lines through the center tunnel were LOW pressure with the pump sucking fuel through them and the filter, then building pressure in only a short run of fuel lines from just under the engine shelf.

If you relocate the pump (and filter) to the front, you are now running HIGH pressure through 40 year old plastic fuel lines that were never designed to handle such pressure.

When i did my conversion, i had to mount the pump under the tank (993 pumps aren't good at sucking) so i replaced the plastic lines with the stainless steel fuel lines through the center tunnel.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Replace the plastic lines. Don't end up standing on the side of the road watching your 914 burn. Betty and I watched her car burn. It was heartbreaking, and almost cost us our marriage. Took a few years before I could face rebuilding the car.

I would even recommend replacing them if you keep the fuel pump in the stock location. I did that to our factory six right after we got it. It is the only non-reversible thing we have done to that car. And it was done purely for safety.

+Quote Post
advman89
post Aug 26 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #11

Plan is to replace all the lines...tank to injectors...I saw stacks of 914s burned up in a Porsche graveyard in Phoenix in the early 2000's.

Chris F. is already on speed dial for this one!
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Aug 26 2019, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 26 2019, 09:55 AM) *

t
What material did the factory use for fuel lines through the tunnel when fuel pump was relocated to the front?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
advman89
post Aug 26 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #13

Found. It's under the car, by the rear passenger tire.

So.

Since I'm doing everything anyway...should I plan to relocate the pump and filter under the tank?

+Quote Post
tmc914
post Aug 26 2019, 09:16 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 21,452
Region Association: North East States

In the front near the front axle there is a panel that can be removed and is the best place to relocate pump and filter. Here is a picture of my car.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 27 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #15

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 26 2019, 04:25 PM) *
What material did the factory use for fuel lines through the tunnel when fuel pump was relocated to the front?

Not exactly sure. It has been discussed before & you may be able to find it with a search of the board but the two types of lines are easily distinguished. The early lines are clear/opaque while the late Hi-pres lines are Black.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 27 2019, 11:10 AM
Post #16

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914werke @ Aug 27 2019, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Jamie @ Aug 26 2019, 04:25 PM) *

Not exactly sure. It has been discussed before & you may be able to find it with a search of the board but the two types of lines are easily distinguished. The early lines are clear/opaque while the late Hi-pres lines are Black.

Pretty sure they used the same center tunnel lines regardless of where the fuel pump was. My 76 had the clear/opaque lines and the factory mounted front pump.

That said, I pulled those lines out and replaced them with SS from Chris before i ever fired the motor on my car.

The lines in my BMW '75 2002 were the same exact material. I'm replacing them as well. the theory in the BMW community is that in the event of a fire, the plastic would melt closed and keep new fuel from feeding a fire in the cabin. Ha ha ha, good one Potsy. Going to metal lines in the '02 as well and not routing them through the cabin.

The plastic tunnel lines were never designed for ethanol. Everyone should pull them and replace them. I have a picture of a plastic fuel filter that was on my car when it had carbs, and the plastic is sagging due to ethanol. Scary.

Zach
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 27 2019, 12:35 PM
Post #17

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nope. I dont know what went on with your car Zach but indeed they ARE different early to late.
But I do agree, none were probably designed to withstand the significant Ethanol blends that are the standard at pumps today.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Aug 29 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #18

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 27 2019, 12:10 PM) *

The lines in my BMW '75 2002 were the same exact material. I'm replacing them as well. the theory in the BMW community is that in the event of a fire, the plastic would melt closed and keep new fuel from feeding a fire in the cabin. Ha ha ha, good one Potsy. Going to metal lines in the '02 as well and not routing them through the cabin.

Having gone through an engine fire, I can tell you for sure that the plastic lines won't melt closed, they just melt holes in the lines so the gasoline can feed the fire!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:36 PM