Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The price is right?, 914-6 for sale
mb911
post Jul 29 2019, 05:11 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jul 29 2019, 11:12 AM) *

Is this the high water mark for six conversions, at $52,000 + fees?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-porsche-914-6-gt/

It was a really nicely turned out GT-look car with broad appeal and was presented well to boot, but even then I remember being surprised at the final price over $50k given some of the details (silver paint on the Fuchs) and a 2.0-liter six making only 110 hp at the wheels. But the car sure had the look...

That car lives in Wisconsin.. Its a pretty nice car..
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
larryM
post Aug 4 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #22

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

our local German collector-broker-exporter-expert says the current $$$ market is strictly interested in "original & numbers matching"

- all else is just a used car -

-4 conversions simply can't compete in that collector (non-depreciation?) atmosphere

- one might buy a $100K museum resto quality 914-6 and almost never drive it & maybe 10 yrs hence it will be worth original cost (or hopefully more) - so long as there is no economic recession and we aging -6 cult cognoscenti do not check out of the hobby - if we regularly drive it, the elements will take a toll

but let's not forget the investment maintenance costs: $$ spent on pristine storage, trailer to transport, & collector-valu insurance etc

imho any aircooled 911 is a 'way safer non-depreciation bet

+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 5 2019, 11:52 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The younger generation not familiar with the brand/model will have no interest in a 914 when our estates try to sell them. 0. An aging/dying consumer group/base. A $30K+ car that requires REAL maintenance, is 50 years old and comes with no warranty? Not in the world of $1.2k cell phones. owners are getting to the break even or nearly point on their cars, taking the money and walking away.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 5 2019, 12:12 PM
Post #24

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For some it’s too old, for others it’s too modern. I think it all depends what excites you. An antique Porsche hot rod or something else. Collectible, probably not. Fun to drive, Hell yea!

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 5 2019, 05:46 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 4 2019, 11:55 AM) *

our local German collector-broker-exporter-expert says the current $$$ market is strictly interested in "original & numbers matching"

- all else is just a used car -

-4 conversions simply can't compete in that collector (non-depreciation?) atmosphere

^ "the current $$$ market" is missing out on a lot of fun. Perhaps all of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 4 2019, 11:55 AM) *

- one might buy a $100K museum resto quality 914-6 and almost never drive it & maybe 10 yrs hence it will be worth original cost (or hopefully more) - so long as there is no economic recession and we aging -6 cult cognoscenti do not check out of the hobby - if we regularly drive it, the elements will take a toll

but let's not forget the investment maintenance costs: $$ spent on pristine storage, trailer to transport, & collector-valu insurance etc

imho any aircooled 911 is a 'way safer non-depreciation bet

It's a sad thing to consider the 914 market going this way, which sounds awfully 356 to me, but…I don't think it will go this way. The few original cars might, but they are few and my gut says that, just as there is a market for well-done 912 and 356 (and 911) hot rods, there will be a market for well-done 914 hot rods. These buyers tend to value the parts + labor + condition + time involved to build the car. It isn't 1:1, but it isn't 1:4 anymore, either. This market will almost by definition exclude the "safe advice" set. Which the 914 generally has for, what, 50 years?

Mainly, I don't think there is "one market" for the 914 any more than I believe there is "one market" for early 911s or other Porsches. Just my two cents...
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Aug 5 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

This one is interesting.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/1...ZDoos_2nipcK7KA

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
larryM
post Aug 7 2019, 12:10 AM
Post #27

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

agreed -

- i absolutely admire those in this 914 sector who have at the cash to play with -4 conversions upwards of "$100K invested"

you like it, you have $50K loose change (or maybe $125K?) - BUY IT !!!!!!!!!! - yes it will be lots of FUN (maybe)

yup - i'm in the "safe" set - - i never was in that rarefied fiscal club, & am now too old to spend pension $$ on speculative "investments"

truth be - i love my NB Miata on local mountain backroads - just drove it to-nite on a 20 mile mountain loop in 90* temps - top down, AC on ... delightful! - admittedly not as zoomy thrilling as my 3.2 GT on the track - but enuf for " an old guy" (not '2-lane blacktop', just a narrow blacktop with no center stripe - sort o like the race track - with occasional oncoming hillbilly's using the whole road cuz "they pay taxes for it" ya know

quote name='horizontally-opposed' date='Aug 5 2019, 04:46 PM' post='2735702']

^ "the current $$$ market" is missing out on a lot of fun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) there will be a market for well-done 914 hot rods. These buyers tend to value the parts + labor + condition + time involved to build the car. It isn't 1:1, but it isn't 1:4 anymore, either. This market will almost by definition exclude the "safe advice" set.

Mainly, I don't think there is "one market" for the 914 any more than I believe there is "one market" for early 911s or other Porsches. Just my two cents...
[/quote]
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 08:37 AM