Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another timing mark, Question sorry
shane
post Aug 6 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,518
Region Association: None

Trying to start my previously running engine after putting new seals everywhere and reinstalling it and my distributor. My distributor only goes in one way and clamps to the mounting bracket so it never moved it’s original position. So I put it in and just pulled #1 plug and watched it go to TDC on compression stroke. The rotor is pointing pretty closely to the contact on the distributor tower I have the #1 plug wire on. And have the wires on the cap CW 1-4-3-2. But can’t see the O at TDC Only this red notch and mark that was there when I bought the car. Now I’m even more confused because the pictures I’ve been looking at the red mark 27° mark doesn’t match the location it is on my fan. The red mark/notch in the pictures is next to a wide support fin, and mine isn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. It’s a 74 1.8 when I try to start it up it sputters and totally acts way out of time popping out of the carb a bit. Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 7 2019, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Attached is a template that lists the timing marks.

Attached File  914_timing.pdf ( 14.07k ) Number of downloads: 112

Attached below is a 2.0 impeller.

Attached Image

It is possible to put the dizzy in 180 degrees out

The way to verify if you are on TDC of the firing stroke of the #1 cylinder - pop the valve cover off the #1 side and both rockers should be loose. If not, spin the engine 360 and check again.

Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
shane
post Aug 7 2019, 12:30 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 6 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Trying to start my previously running engine after putting new seals everywhere and reinstalling it and my distributor. My distributor only goes in one way and clamps to the mounting bracket so it never moved it’s original position. So I put it in and just pulled #1 plug and watched it go to TDC on compression stroke. The rotor is pointing pretty closely to the contact on the distributor tower I have the #1 plug wire on. And have the wires on the cap CW 1-4-3-2. But can’t see the O at TDC Only this red notch and mark that was there when I bought the car. Now I’m even more confused because the pictures I’ve been looking at the red mark 27° mark doesn’t match the location it is on my fan. The red mark/notch in the pictures is next to a wide support fin, and mine isn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. It’s a 74 1.8 when I try to start it up it sputters and totally acts way out of time popping out of the carb a bit. Attached Image

Has anyone seen a red 27° mark in this location before? It’s no ware near the wide support fin?
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 7 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 7 2019, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 6 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Has anyone seen a red 27° mark in this location before? It’s no ware near the wide support fin?

I would suggest you verify the markings on the impeller using the fin counting method in the 2nd photo above.

I think it will indicate that you are looking at fin #7 not #10.
+Quote Post
johnhora
post Aug 7 2019, 01:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 107

shane...

on the 1.8 fan there is a red mark at 7.5 BTDC
+Quote Post
shane
post Aug 7 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #6

I see thanks everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) the red threw me off, was thinking usually red is the 27° black 7.5° white TDC.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 7 2019, 02:39 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2019, 01:36 AM) *

Attached Image

The way to verify if you are on TDC of the firing stroke of the #1 cylinder - pop the valve cover off the #1 side and both rockers should be loose. If not, spin the engine 360 and check again.

Attached Image

The fan I'am using is a bus one as its all I have with my current build,they or most have the "0" marked and nothing else,Haynes manual states measuring 52.5mm and you get 27 degrees but that is for a FI motor,I will most likely mark to get 30 degrees as running carbs.
Cheers for that info Mike.
+Quote Post
shane
post Aug 7 2019, 03:04 PM
Post #8

Dang that red fan looks good!!! I’m kicking myself for Not powder coating mine when I had the engine out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 7 2019, 03:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 7 2019, 01:04 PM) *

Dang that red fan looks good!!! I’m kicking myself for Not powder coating mine when I had the engine out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Makes the marks really easy to see as well!
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Aug 7 2019, 07:48 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2019, 12:39 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

The fan I'am using is a bus one as its all I have with my current build,they or most have the "0" marked and nothing else,Haynes manual states measuring 52.5mm and you get 27 degrees but that is for a FI motor,I will most likely mark to get 30 degrees as running carbs.

To be clear I wish al, of what I posted was my brain. But the info was posted by a number of 914 people much smarter than me. I just happened to download that info. While I am remiss at not giving appropriate credit to those that came up with the info. It is al! Part of this great community.
+Quote Post
shane
post Aug 7 2019, 10:33 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2019, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2019, 12:39 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

To be clear I wish al, of what I posted was my brain. But the info was posted by a number of 914 people much smarter than me. I just happened to download that info. While I am remiss at not giving appropriate credit to those that came up with the info. It is al! Part of this great community.

Well said (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 06:21 PM