Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another timing mark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Trying to start my previously running engine after putting new seals everywhere and reinstalling it and my distributor. My distributor only goes in one way and clamps to the mounting bracket so it never moved it’s original position. So I put it in and just pulled #1 plug and watched it go to TDC on compression stroke. The rotor is pointing pretty closely to the contact on the distributor tower I have the #1 plug wire on. And have the wires on the cap CW 1-4-3-2. But can’t see the O at TDC Only this red notch and mark that was there when I bought the car. Now I’m even more confused because the pictures I’ve been looking at the red mark 27° mark doesn’t match the location it is on my fan. The red mark/notch in the pictures is next to a wide support fin, and mine isn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. It’s a 74 1.8 when I try to start it up it sputters and totally acts way out of time popping out of the carb a bit. Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
Attached is a template that lists the timing marks.

Click to view attachment

Attached below is a 2.0 impeller.

Click to view attachment

It is possible to put the dizzy in 180 degrees out

The way to verify if you are on TDC of the firing stroke of the #1 cylinder - pop the valve cover off the #1 side and both rockers should be loose. If not, spin the engine 360 and check again.

Click to view attachment
shane
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 6 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Trying to start my previously running engine after putting new seals everywhere and reinstalling it and my distributor. My distributor only goes in one way and clamps to the mounting bracket so it never moved it’s original position. So I put it in and just pulled #1 plug and watched it go to TDC on compression stroke. The rotor is pointing pretty closely to the contact on the distributor tower I have the #1 plug wire on. And have the wires on the cap CW 1-4-3-2. But can’t see the O at TDC Only this red notch and mark that was there when I bought the car. Now I’m even more confused because the pictures I’ve been looking at the red mark 27° mark doesn’t match the location it is on my fan. The red mark/notch in the pictures is next to a wide support fin, and mine isn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated very much. It’s a 74 1.8 when I try to start it up it sputters and totally acts way out of time popping out of the carb a bit. Click to view attachment

Has anyone seen a red 27° mark in this location before? It’s no ware near the wide support fin?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 7 2019, 10:30 AM) *

QUOTE(shane @ Aug 6 2019, 08:19 PM) *

Has anyone seen a red 27° mark in this location before? It’s no ware near the wide support fin?

I would suggest you verify the markings on the impeller using the fin counting method in the 2nd photo above.

I think it will indicate that you are looking at fin #7 not #10.
johnhora
shane...

on the 1.8 fan there is a red mark at 7.5 BTDC
shane
I see thanks everyone aktion035.gif the red threw me off, was thinking usually red is the 27° black 7.5° white TDC.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2019, 01:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The way to verify if you are on TDC of the firing stroke of the #1 cylinder - pop the valve cover off the #1 side and both rockers should be loose. If not, spin the engine 360 and check again.

Click to view attachment

The fan I'am using is a bus one as its all I have with my current build,they or most have the "0" marked and nothing else,Haynes manual states measuring 52.5mm and you get 27 degrees but that is for a FI motor,I will most likely mark to get 30 degrees as running carbs.
Cheers for that info Mike.
shane
Dang that red fan looks good!!! I’m kicking myself for Not powder coating mine when I had the engine out hissyfit.gif
Mblizzard
QUOTE(shane @ Aug 7 2019, 01:04 PM) *

Dang that red fan looks good!!! I’m kicking myself for Not powder coating mine when I had the engine out hissyfit.gif

Makes the marks really easy to see as well!
Mblizzard
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2019, 12:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The fan I'am using is a bus one as its all I have with my current build,they or most have the "0" marked and nothing else,Haynes manual states measuring 52.5mm and you get 27 degrees but that is for a FI motor,I will most likely mark to get 30 degrees as running carbs.

To be clear I wish al, of what I posted was my brain. But the info was posted by a number of 914 people much smarter than me. I just happened to download that info. While I am remiss at not giving appropriate credit to those that came up with the info. It is al! Part of this great community.
shane
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 7 2019, 06:48 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 7 2019, 12:39 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

To be clear I wish al, of what I posted was my brain. But the info was posted by a number of 914 people much smarter than me. I just happened to download that info. While I am remiss at not giving appropriate credit to those that came up with the info. It is al! Part of this great community.

Well said biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.