Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheels - Any body run the Porsche Lobster Claws?, Considering the 8" and the 9.5"
dakotaewing
post Aug 15 2019, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

I understand that these are not to everyone's taste, but please set that aside -
Wondering if anyone has run these or if the offsets are just too much for the typical GT flared car... A quick search came up with little info and no photos on a 914 -
These also come in 11" rears which is too wide currently for my car -
Thanks -

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 15 2019, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

You are going to need some seriously long wheel studs and lots of spacers to make these work.

The offset is all wrong for a 914, the mounting surface of those wheels is on the outside and most of the barrel goes towards the inside, there's no way those will bolt up and not hit the inner wheel well without some serious spacer magick.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PS: Not even sure anyone makes wheels studs long enough to make those work.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 15 2019, 10:00 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Plus, when you run spacers, you change the front tire's scrub geometry which makes for heavier steering feel. Spacers that would work with those wheels would likely create seriously heavy steering.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 15 2019, 10:20 AM
Post #4

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 15 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Plus, when you run spacers, you change the front tire's scrub geometry which makes for heavier steering feel. Spacers that would work with those wheels would likely create seriously heavy steering.

Technically adding spacers doesn't do anything to effect scrub radius if you are bringing the tire centerline back to the baseline position. Adding wider wheels on a strut car almost always forces a scrub change due to the need to push the tire wall away from the strut, but assuming you had enough strut clearance you could keep the baseline scrub.

With a big backspace wheel like a lobster claw you have a lot of room to play with spacers to get the tire as close to the strut as possible to help your scrub (not that I would recommend running a wheel like that because of the excessive spacer length).
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Aug 15 2019, 10:39 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

@Harvey_Weidman can these be modified to move the offset? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 15 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

@dan10101 and @andrew run wheels with these offsets....
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2626479

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 15 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I run BIIG Spacers. Dad does too. 1.5" spacers up front and about 3.25" spacers in the back.

As JD said its technically not increasing scrub radius any more than large dish wheels.

I run 17x8.5xET50 in the front and 18x10xET62 in the rear.

I should probably change to a much smaller offset rear wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Granted I run my wheels black which helps the 18" look better on the 914 body. Also Im not running GT flares, Im running Bontempi flares.

Mine vs my dads.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=703104
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Aug 15 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #8

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 15 2019, 09:00 AM) *

I think Chris is right. I've been trying to find affordable zero offset rims that I can afford for a year now. Mine does have heavy steering, however, with recent suspension changes it it a lot better. I'm about to update my thread with my latest wheel info but here it is.

I now have 2 sets of 2003 turbo wheels.
18x8 with 50et and 18x11 45et. I need to remeasure my spacers, but they are about 2" rear and 2.5" front.

Note: My fenders are Sheridan and are setup for 10" all around. I can run as large as 11s in front. In fact i was running 11s all around at WCR. But I am going with recommendations to use a staggered setup on the track. I haven't had any pushing issues yet with 8s on the front.
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Aug 16 2019, 09:22 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

So based on what I am reading, while using these wheels is not necessarily ideal due to the offset and the needed spacers, there are cars in place that are running wheels with the larger offsets. I'm currently in a place where spending the money for 3 piece wheels won't happen in my near future. I'm still contemplating these, so if anyone has pics of a 914 with these wheels, please do me a favor and post them. Thanks for all the input!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 06:24 AM