Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheels - Any body run the Porsche Lobster Claws?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
I understand that these are not to everyone's taste, but please set that aside -
Wondering if anyone has run these or if the offsets are just too much for the typical GT flared car... A quick search came up with little info and no photos on a 914 -
These also come in 11" rears which is too wide currently for my car -
Thanks -
SirAndy
You are going to need some seriously long wheel studs and lots of spacers to make these work.

The offset is all wrong for a 914, the mounting surface of those wheels is on the outside and most of the barrel goes towards the inside, there's no way those will bolt up and not hit the inner wheel well without some serious spacer magick.
shades.gif

PS: Not even sure anyone makes wheels studs long enough to make those work.
tygaboy
Plus, when you run spacers, you change the front tire's scrub geometry which makes for heavier steering feel. Spacers that would work with those wheels would likely create seriously heavy steering.
jd74914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 15 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Plus, when you run spacers, you change the front tire's scrub geometry which makes for heavier steering feel. Spacers that would work with those wheels would likely create seriously heavy steering.

Technically adding spacers doesn't do anything to effect scrub radius if you are bringing the tire centerline back to the baseline position. Adding wider wheels on a strut car almost always forces a scrub change due to the need to push the tire wall away from the strut, but assuming you had enough strut clearance you could keep the baseline scrub.

With a big backspace wheel like a lobster claw you have a lot of room to play with spacers to get the tire as close to the strut as possible to help your scrub (not that I would recommend running a wheel like that because of the excessive spacer length).
ConeDodger
@Harvey_Weidman can these be modified to move the offset? evilgrin.gif
sixnotfour
@dan10101 and @andrew run wheels with these offsets....
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2626479
Andyrew
I run BIIG Spacers. Dad does too. 1.5" spacers up front and about 3.25" spacers in the back.

As JD said its technically not increasing scrub radius any more than large dish wheels.

I run 17x8.5xET50 in the front and 18x10xET62 in the rear.

I should probably change to a much smaller offset rear wheel dry.gif

Granted I run my wheels black which helps the 18" look better on the 914 body. Also Im not running GT flares, Im running Bontempi flares.

Mine vs my dads.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t&id=703104
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Aug 15 2019, 09:00 AM) *

I think Chris is right. I've been trying to find affordable zero offset rims that I can afford for a year now. Mine does have heavy steering, however, with recent suspension changes it it a lot better. I'm about to update my thread with my latest wheel info but here it is.

I now have 2 sets of 2003 turbo wheels.
18x8 with 50et and 18x11 45et. I need to remeasure my spacers, but they are about 2" rear and 2.5" front.

Note: My fenders are Sheridan and are setup for 10" all around. I can run as large as 11s in front. In fact i was running 11s all around at WCR. But I am going with recommendations to use a staggered setup on the track. I haven't had any pushing issues yet with 8s on the front.
dakotaewing
So based on what I am reading, while using these wheels is not necessarily ideal due to the offset and the needed spacers, there are cars in place that are running wheels with the larger offsets. I'm currently in a place where spending the money for 3 piece wheels won't happen in my near future. I'm still contemplating these, so if anyone has pics of a 914 with these wheels, please do me a favor and post them. Thanks for all the input!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.