Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vellios Oil Tank Baffles, How do I know if it has it?
Justinp71
post Aug 15 2019, 05:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

So I have been concerned lately if my Vellios oil tank has internal baffling as some of the early ones do not. I have never noticed any oil pressure issues on the track and also when I removed the oil filler neck I saw a glimpse of horizontal baffle near the top. Does anyone know for sure a way to tell if I have the internal baffles? I would note I don't hard core track race... so if I didn't have baffles I might have noticed yet?

I acquired the tank almost 20 years ago at a parts heaven swap meet, so my first thought was it was probably for sale in the first place because it didn't have baffles, but I am not sure. My engine was recently completely rebuilt with some precious parts I'd hate to ruin it...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 15 2019, 06:54 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 15 2019, 03:33 PM) *

So I have been concerned lately if my Vellios oil tank has internal baffling as some of the early ones do not. I have never noticed any oil pressure issues on the track and also when I removed the oil filler neck I saw a glimpse of horizontal baffle near the top. Does anyone know for sure a way to tell if I have the internal baffles? I would note I don't hard core track race... so if I didn't have baffles I might have noticed yet?

I acquired the tank almost 20 years ago at a parts heaven swap meet, so my first thought was it was probably for sale in the first place because it didn't have baffles, but I am not sure. My engine was recently completely rebuilt with some precious parts I'd hate to ruin it...

A flashlight down the filler fitting or better yet a bore scope.. To bd honest 20 years no issues I would just use it but clean it 1st
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Aug 16 2019, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2019, 05:54 PM) *

A flashlight down the filler fitting or better yet a bore scope.. To bd honest 20 years no issues I would just use it but clean it 1st

Thanks Ben. I did put a flashlight down the oil hole and saw a glimpse of a horizontal baffle, but couldn't tell if there were any baffles lower. I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 16 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 08:13 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 15 2019, 05:54 PM) *

Thanks Ben. I did put a flashlight down the oil hole and saw a glimpse of a horizontal baffle, but couldn't tell if there were any baffles lower. I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Any tanks prior to mine only have 1 horizontal baffle.. I think your fine..
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 16 2019, 10:49 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

you could save some weight by changing it out thou.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 16 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 12:13 PM) *

I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Get an 8mm, lets you bend it enough to see most of the cylinder walls.

I have a cheap amazon deal, wifi, micro usb chargeable, pic and vid, works on a tablet.
You also want one that's bendable, but has enough stiffness to stay put, the ones with a floppy cable are almost useless.

IIRC they call it an endoscope on amazon.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 16 2019, 04:49 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 16 2019, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Aug 16 2019, 12:13 PM) *

I like the idea of getting a boroscope...

Get an 8mm, lets you bend it enough to see most of the cylinder walls.

I have a cheap amazon deal, wifi, micro usb chargeable, pic and vid, works on a tablet.
You also want one that's bendable, but has enough stiffness to stay put, the ones with a floppy cable are almost useless.

IIRC they call it an endoscope on amazon.

I just got one. $22 and it connects to my phone or tablet. It’s a 6 or 8 foot cord so it’s a lot more useful than the old handheld units with a b/w screen. The resolution is very good.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:54 PM