Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What kind of Power Improvements did you see after Conversions?
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 25 2019, 10:42 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,240
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Andrew impressive video of the A4, Conedodger I’ve never heard nothing but good things about a 3.2 conversion except possibly cost! Beautiful car. Coondog sign me up! Smile
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 25 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(80’s old school @ Aug 25 2019, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 25 2019, 06:52 AM) *

Here’s the best comparison of a 2.0 vs a 3.2

That 2.0 would still work!

Boy. . . . . if that is a California 2.0 & 3.2 . . . I can't wait to see a 10.

I've gotta move ASAP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 25 2019, 11:06 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Since I'm just in one of those moods, here is my planned 914 upgrade.

Good for 5HP.

I just haven't figured out if a belt drive or a chain drive to one of the axles would be better.

Thought about maybe making an AWD and running a solid front axle but I figured it would be too much work for the HP gain.

Or maybe just use it to power the fresh air blower motor. So many options.

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 25 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

Went from a tired "Question Liter" Type IV (probably 1.7 or 1911) to a 2.2 "S" with Solex cams, a little head work, carbs, crankfire, headers, and a sport muffler. Suspect it was a wheezy 70-80hp on a good day, now 169.9 at the rear wheels unfiltered, and probably 160~ with a Fabspeed intake and filter in place (the snorkel was -20 hp, while deleting the snorkel and filter gained 12 back). So probably 180-190 hp. More than I had hoped for from 2.2 liters, and plenty for a narrow 914 (for me).

It's a different car, with more options more of the time and real oomph. But the real gain has been aural—with echoes of Le Mans/Targa Florio/Spa circa 1970 everywhere you go. You can drive it loud, or mellow, too. I do miss the more casual/tossable handling with the Type IV from time to time, but prefer the car overall with the six.

Have always thought there's huge potential in the "outlaw" conversions, from various V6s and V8s to Mazda Wankels or Subaru flat fours and sixes.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 25 2019, 12:56 PM
Post #25

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think the ultimate conversion "kit" would be a Suby turbo 4 with a Suby trans. 200-450 hp, heat and air if wanted and most all the parts are off the shelf and available for reasonable prices. The car would probably weigh less than a stock six but have the power and reliability of a modern car.
I bet the whole conversion package could be done for what a Porsche six engine cost to rebuild.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 25 2019, 01:42 PM
Post #26

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 24 2019, 08:09 PM) *

Your exactly 1/2 second faster than my 3.0 Suby conversion. I get about 36mpg hi way. About $5500 to convert.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2019, 02:57 PM
Post #27

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2019, 12:42 PM) *

Your exactly 1/2 second faster than my 3.0 Suby conversion. I get about 36mpg hi way. About $5500 to convert.

And you get water in your car even when it doesn't rain and you have to live with the fact that your motor came out of the same brand of car that is driven by some of the worst drivers in this country.

I'm looking at you Subaru Outback, i'm looking at you ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesidekickorder.com-179-1566766634.1.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 25 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2019, 12:42 PM) *

And you get water in your car even when it doesn't rain and you have to live with the fact that your motor came out of the same brand of car that is driven by some of the worst drivers in this country.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.thesidekickorder.com-179-1566766634.1.gif)

I think I remember reading g that Andy purchased his engine for $8K. They go for $18-20k now. It’s nice to have an appreciating asset that you can enjoy.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 25 2019, 03:31 PM
Post #29

Resident German

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2019, 02:01 PM) *
I think I remember reading g that Andy purchased his engine for $8K. They go for $18-20k now. It’s nice to have an appreciating asset that you can enjoy.

$7.5k for:
The engine with Steve Wong chip, a freshly rebuild 915 with flipped R&P, lightened flywheel, racing clutch package for the 915, coated headers, a heavy ass dual outlet muffler, PMS conversion wiring harness + brain, PMS hard oil lines
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 25 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #30

I would gladly give you your money back! Smile
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 25 2019, 06:05 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 01:57 PM) *

LOL. I have no problem with Subie power, and would probably go STi 2.5 in an ultimate scratch build, but Andy has a point here.

Volvo 240 > Subaru Outback > Toyota Prius > Tesla…a progression of cars for people who don't like cars (and want you to know it) in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and now.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 25 2019, 07:03 PM
Post #32

914 Guru

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 08:05 PM) *

Volvo 240 > Subaru Outback > Toyota Prius > Tesla…a progression of cars for people who don't like cars (and want you to know it) in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and now.

Just a mental note:

Tesla Model S P100D AWD w/ Ludicrous Mode is insanely fast in a straight line. So maybe not fair to say all Tesla owners don't like cars but I generally agree with your point.

I wouldn't say I love EV's but you can't argue with max torque at 0 RPM and the sub 3 second 0-60 time of Ludicrous Mode that can't be touched by anything short of super car territory.
+Quote Post
767driver
post Aug 25 2019, 09:12 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 14,002

Nice car ConeDodger!!!
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 26 2019, 12:08 AM
Post #34

Resident German

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 05:05 PM) *

LOL. I have no problem with Subie power, and would probably go STi 2.5 in an ultimate scratch build, but Andy has a point here.

@horizontally-opposed
That list is frighteningly accurate

And since we are making a list, i'd like to add the Subaru Forester to the mix. At least here in the Berkeley area they had their 15 minutes of infamy.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 26 2019, 03:39 AM
Post #35

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...;t=7725&hl= (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Aug 26 2019, 04:19 AM
Post #36

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 07:05 PM) *

I am of two minds here. First I agree that the "save the earth people" cars are really anti-cars driven by car haters. specially Prius owners that either drive 8 miles an hour below the speed limit in the left lane with the " I'll show you because I am better than you and know more than you" attitude, or speed past you because they get sooo much better mileage than you.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

My other thought process leads me to believe the Subaru conversion guys are onto something. Not only does the conversation retain the low polar moment but it is really a thumb in the eye to those car haters. So much so that I have to believe Porsche took notice. Where did the 718-S come from?

I really think I speak from experience here. I have driven Kent's Lil Rocket. I think the tires stopped spinning around the top of the RPM range in 4th gear. 0-60? who had time to look? Once he sorted the cooling issues the car could be either a sleepy daily driver or a cone killer on the weekends.

Other cars I have built really inspired me to understand the beauty of the original intent of this design.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif) http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104128&hl= (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

The car I really regret selling is Sandy's Ravenna car. The engine was a 73 2.0 with a lightened flywheel and 96mm flat tops. Stock IF made the car a dream to start in the morning and a dream to drive cross country. As with any old car you will run into challenges with old parts and gremlins.

I have to say after driving the almost stock car I was truly smitten with the whole idea of the design. With from & rear anti-sway bars and the lightened flywheel the car pulled awesome through the mid to high RPM range.

I sold the car to a Dennis. He is not a wrench turner. We had long conversations and email exchanges about cars and still do. He loved the car so much after a couple months he call me to tell me he hated me for selling him the car because he now had to have a 6. After several months if hunting., sending me links to review and lend advise on he fell into a deal on a completely stock 6.

After some tune up work he called to say the 6 is nice and all but it doesn't pull or handle as well as the 4. Just reaffirms what guys that have been around for awhile have come to experience. Porsche under powered the 6. The engine they selected was not a remarkable improvement. So the quest began for more power.

Euro Hot Rods! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 26 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #37

Rick great write up with bottom line truth!
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 26 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 11:08 PM) *

That list is frighteningly accurate

And since we are making a list, i'd like to add the Subaru Forester to the mix. At least here in the Berkeley area they had their 15 minutes of infamy.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Ooh. Good point. Amended list:

Volvo 240 > Volvo 740 (briefly) > Outback > Prius 1 > Outbacks & Foresters > Prius 2 > Tesla*

*And yes, I know Teslas can be owned by car enthusiasts, but they are still a leading choice for those who hate cars and want you to know it (while they drive...cars).
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 26 2019, 10:31 AM
Post #39

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

I went from a 75 2.0 to a 2056 with just about every bell and whistle you could put n it. $5K for the engine and EFI system. I'm sure I have an additional $5K in there too but I have intentionally NOT kept track of my receipts. Bearing in mind that this is also spread out over many years (almost 10)

I also had to rebuild the engine as soon as I bought it due to sagging case registers that the PO did not know about. Then had to rebuild it again a few years later because I was chasing my tail with carbs and could not leave well enough alone (over an issue with a 10 cent defective carb gasket.....)

The result is a TIV that dynoed 127 at the wheels (est 150 HP at the crank) and runs cool on the freeway.

When this engine dies - I'll probably go Suby. But I'm hoping it lives for quite a while. For the money, I probably should have done that from the outset. Live and learn.

Zach
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Aug 26 2019, 02:19 PM
Post #40

Not seeing much from the SBC or LS1 builds or Diesel builds!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:38 AM