Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What kind of Power Improvements did you see after Conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
9144me2enjoy
There has been all kinds of engine swaps into the Base 914s (Porsche Aircooled 6 cyls-2.0L 2.2L 2.4L 2.7L 3.0L 3.2L 3.6L) along with a large range of Subaru Conversions and LS1 engines, SBC, any other conversions, along with 2056 builds etc. I’m sure a lot of people besides myself would like to see some performance specs after these conversions were completed (0-60mph 0-100mph, 1/4 mile, roll on performance) along with transmission changes and estimated cost for conversion.

Example: Upgraded to 2056cc build (Fats Performance), 125-130hp, dual 40 carbs, cam etc., headers, stock 901 side shift trans. With Rennshift Shifter, 911 suspension conversion. 0-60 6.5 seconds. 1/4 mile about 90 mph. Cost for drivetrain including trans rebuilt approx $10,000.00 in 2015.
thelogo
Big /4

5k dollar engine piratenanner.gif
Webbers headers super unleaded gas

Car is alot faster /fun 'er
Still just as light

beer3.gif smoke.gif

/6 guys are crazy $

I'll be saving for a 993 or nsx pray.gif
80’s old school
popcorn[1].gif I’m interested too!
mepstein
2 - 3.2 conversions and one 3.3 suby conversion. Lots of time, money and fun. Faster than stock. biggrin.gif
9144me2enjoy
Mepstein how do you compare the 3.2 vs the Suby 3.3 conversions?
80’s old school
I took a 1.7 with Weber 40’s out.

Put in a 1.8 with 96mm AA flat top pistons (1911cc). No cylinder to case shims and no cylinder to head shims (to create max compression available without machining mods). Same 40 Weber’s. Then added MSDS header.

Difference was night and day! Very noticeable upgrade.

I don’t have any 0-60, 1/4 mile runs, etc., but a nice “shot in the arm”
mepstein
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 24 2019, 09:45 PM) *

Mepstein how do you compare the 3.2 vs the Suby 3.3 conversions?

Suby conversion isn't running yet. Cost wise, the suby engine (eg33-220hp) was $500 and the 5mt trans $200. A decent 3.2 is $12K and a modified 915 trans ~$7-10K. So there's that to consider...

9144me2enjoy
Impressive builds
SirAndy
0-60 < 4s ... burnout.gif
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 24 2019, 04:27 PM) *

2 - 3.2 conversions and one 3.3 suby conversion. Lots of time, money and fun. Faster than stock. biggrin.gif

Lots more fun with the 3.2. I mean, it is great. Better distance car too, cause i also went for taller gears in 4th and 5th. Estimate 0-60 in the 5 second range. Not bad, but not so stupid fast you have no place to use it off track. I also feel that my 2056 build, though a bit of a handful to tune left me with a bit more sparkle to the engine. But then, the comparison may have been a bit worn out.
Chris914n6
My Nissan 3.0L v6 is 190hp & 205tq stock, with a rebuilt 914 trans & tall 5th, does 0-60 in 5.x in just 2nd gear @6800rpm. Plus it makes more low end tq than a 3L Porsche -6. Plus it has a bolt on AC compressor smile.gif

Eng/harness/ecu was $1600 w/ 15k miles back in 97
Kennedy adapter, 300hp clutch $700
Cooling ~$400
Engine crossbar ~$100
Exhaust, cat, 911 banana muffler $200
Other stuff ~$200

Plus 180lb springs, 911 susp, Boxster 16" wheels.

If were to do it today... 290hp & 270tq, 0-60 in 4.0s
Nissan 3.5L v6 mutt ~$600+
MS3pro & related $1400
Cooling ~$300
Crossbar ~$100
Dual exhaust, headers ~ $300
Fuel pump $90

And I'm working on a WRX trans adapter.

If that ever gets boring, +turbo = 400whp bye1.gif
pploco
It’s not quite the same, but I had a 2.0 legacy turbo in a 63 baja bug that was about 300hp to the wheels. I ran a 1/4 mile in the low 12s. And that was with truck tires and a bus transmission. The car weighed about 1900 lbs. I bet with a well sorted turbo suby conversion and a modern trans in the 914, a decent driver could get down into the low 11s.

Doing a bit of napkin math, I figure my 914 will have the same power to weight ratio as a modern GT3.
9144me2enjoy
This is great feedback, especially for forum members who have had a dream to build their 914s to obtain more power on or off the track! This gives us all hope to rekindle the fire within these amazing machines! Thanks
ConeDodger
Hasn’t been mentioned but I’d drive my 3.2 conversion anywhere. I never had that confidence with the 4 cylinder.
Andyrew
Well I have two conversions under my belt so let me throw my input out there..

Base engine was a 2.0 with FI that ran poorly. I had 75whp.

Next I did a $3k rebuild and SBC V8 conversion. This was done on a 16 year olds budget working at Taco Bell....
Mild build, made 240whp and 290wtq. Too much torque for the chassis in relationship to the power. Biggest issue was keeping it cool. I loved the V8 sound and played around with the V8 for about 10 years. I never made it reliable enough for me to really drive it. So that lead to my next conversion.

After daily driving an Audi A4 that I modified with a big turbo I really liked the engine a Lot. It had great MPG and a fantastic powerband. So after doing some research I decided to make the 914 something it wasn't. A potential daily car. And with that I wanted all the comforts as well as an engine that could be driven easily as well as something that could be driven both in spirit and anger. That led me to do an Audi 1.8turbo swap. I've never fully built a motor so I said let's do it and out way more money into the build than I needed. I could have done this for about 4k comfortably but I spent about 10k. You can read more about it in my signature.
Anyways numbers. On low boost it's 250whp. On medium low boost it's 285whp. Keep in mind the setup is about 150lbs lighter than the V8. I will say that I still haven't pumped it up yet as I've been going through a lot of teething issues, but over the next few years I'll keep pumping the boost up, I should be able to get 400whp as is with good gas. If I put cams and an intake manifold on it that number should be able to grow to 500whp.

Is it fast? You bet. Faster than the V8? Yes, but only over 4k. But probably the biggest thing is it feels really analog. The turbo noises and engine sounds are extremely apparent and so distinct. The turbo and associated bits itself has about 10 district sounds that I can pick up. One of the reasons for me to go with such a small motor and big turbo was so that I can run low boost and it be quick, take it in the canyons and be pretty comfortable and safe. Then when I really wanted to GO I can turn up the boost and be right there with the big boys.

No drag times or whatnot. I do have an autox vid. Traction is a big issue on a dirty low speed autox, so I'm constantly on and off the throttle. This is boost on the lowest setting. 7psi. Note, prepare for turbo noises..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXLC59RiHe8
mb911
Sound and feel is one of the biggest things that most people notice 1st about a -6 conversion.. And of course power..
Coondog
Here’s the best comparison of a 2.0 vs a 3.2
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Andrew - That was a great video. Your car sounded and performed quite nicely. beerchug.gif
Carl La Fong
I currently drive a 2.2 liter type IV that produced 147hp on the dyno. A really fun car to drive.$ I used to have a 3.2 liter that produced 235hp. A really REALLY fun car to drive. $$$$
80’s old school
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 25 2019, 06:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That 2.0 would still work!
9144me2enjoy
Andrew impressive video of the A4, Conedodger I’ve never heard nothing but good things about a 3.2 conversion except possibly cost! Beautiful car. Coondog sign me up! Smile
Superhawk996
QUOTE(80’s old school @ Aug 25 2019, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 25 2019, 06:52 AM) *

Click to view attachment

That 2.0 would still work!

Boy. . . . . if that is a California 2.0 & 3.2 . . . I can't wait to see a 10.

I've gotta move ASAP. lol-2.gif
Superhawk996
Since I'm just in one of those moods, here is my planned 914 upgrade.

Good for 5HP.

I just haven't figured out if a belt drive or a chain drive to one of the axles would be better.

Thought about maybe making an AWD and running a solid front axle but I figured it would be too much work for the HP gain.

Or maybe just use it to power the fresh air blower motor. So many options.

Click to view attachment

dance.gif
horizontally-opposed
Went from a tired "Question Liter" Type IV (probably 1.7 or 1911) to a 2.2 "S" with Solex cams, a little head work, carbs, crankfire, headers, and a sport muffler. Suspect it was a wheezy 70-80hp on a good day, now 169.9 at the rear wheels unfiltered, and probably 160~ with a Fabspeed intake and filter in place (the snorkel was -20 hp, while deleting the snorkel and filter gained 12 back). So probably 180-190 hp. More than I had hoped for from 2.2 liters, and plenty for a narrow 914 (for me).

It's a different car, with more options more of the time and real oomph. But the real gain has been aural—with echoes of Le Mans/Targa Florio/Spa circa 1970 everywhere you go. You can drive it loud, or mellow, too. I do miss the more casual/tossable handling with the Type IV from time to time, but prefer the car overall with the six.

Have always thought there's huge potential in the "outlaw" conversions, from various V6s and V8s to Mazda Wankels or Subaru flat fours and sixes.
mepstein
I think the ultimate conversion "kit" would be a Suby turbo 4 with a Suby trans. 200-450 hp, heat and air if wanted and most all the parts are off the shelf and available for reasonable prices. The car would probably weigh less than a stock six but have the power and reliability of a modern car.
I bet the whole conversion package could be done for what a Porsche six engine cost to rebuild.
76-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 24 2019, 08:09 PM) *

Your exactly 1/2 second faster than my 3.0 Suby conversion. I get about 36mpg hi way. About $5500 to convert.
SirAndy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2019, 12:42 PM) *

Your exactly 1/2 second faster than my 3.0 Suby conversion. I get about 36mpg hi way. About $5500 to convert.

And you get water in your car even when it doesn't rain and you have to live with the fact that your motor came out of the same brand of car that is driven by some of the worst drivers in this country.

I'm looking at you Subaru Outback, i'm looking at you ...
IPB Image

mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 25 2019, 12:42 PM) *

And you get water in your car even when it doesn't rain and you have to live with the fact that your motor came out of the same brand of car that is driven by some of the worst drivers in this country.

IPB Image

I think I remember reading g that Andy purchased his engine for $8K. They go for $18-20k now. It’s nice to have an appreciating asset that you can enjoy.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2019, 02:01 PM) *
I think I remember reading g that Andy purchased his engine for $8K. They go for $18-20k now. It’s nice to have an appreciating asset that you can enjoy.

$7.5k for:
The engine with Steve Wong chip, a freshly rebuild 915 with flipped R&P, lightened flywheel, racing clutch package for the 915, coated headers, a heavy ass dual outlet muffler, PMS conversion wiring harness + brain, PMS hard oil lines
smile.gif
9144me2enjoy
I would gladly give you your money back! Smile
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 01:57 PM) *

LOL. I have no problem with Subie power, and would probably go STi 2.5 in an ultimate scratch build, but Andy has a point here.

Volvo 240 > Subaru Outback > Toyota Prius > Tesla…a progression of cars for people who don't like cars (and want you to know it) in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and now.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 08:05 PM) *

Volvo 240 > Subaru Outback > Toyota Prius > Tesla…a progression of cars for people who don't like cars (and want you to know it) in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, and now.

Just a mental note:

Tesla Model S P100D AWD w/ Ludicrous Mode is insanely fast in a straight line. So maybe not fair to say all Tesla owners don't like cars but I generally agree with your point.

I wouldn't say I love EV's but you can't argue with max torque at 0 RPM and the sub 3 second 0-60 time of Ludicrous Mode that can't be touched by anything short of super car territory.
767driver
Nice car ConeDodger!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 05:05 PM) *

LOL. I have no problem with Subie power, and would probably go STi 2.5 in an ultimate scratch build, but Andy has a point here.

@horizontally-opposed
That list is frighteningly accurate

And since we are making a list, i'd like to add the Subaru Forester to the mix. At least here in the Berkeley area they had their 15 minutes of infamy.
slap.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Aug 25 2019, 07:05 PM) *

I am of two minds here. First I agree that the "save the earth people" cars are really anti-cars driven by car haters. specially Prius owners that either drive 8 miles an hour below the speed limit in the left lane with the " I'll show you because I am better than you and know more than you" attitude, or speed past you because they get sooo much better mileage than you.... screwy.gif

My other thought process leads me to believe the Subaru conversion guys are onto something. Not only does the conversation retain the low polar moment but it is really a thumb in the eye to those car haters. So much so that I have to believe Porsche took notice. Where did the 718-S come from?

I really think I speak from experience here. I have driven Kent's Lil Rocket. I think the tires stopped spinning around the top of the RPM range in 4th gear. 0-60? who had time to look? Once he sorted the cooling issues the car could be either a sleepy daily driver or a cone killer on the weekends.

Other cars I have built really inspired me to understand the beauty of the original intent of this design.

assimilate.gif http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=104128&hl= assimilate.gif

The car I really regret selling is Sandy's Ravenna car. The engine was a 73 2.0 with a lightened flywheel and 96mm flat tops. Stock IF made the car a dream to start in the morning and a dream to drive cross country. As with any old car you will run into challenges with old parts and gremlins.

I have to say after driving the almost stock car I was truly smitten with the whole idea of the design. With from & rear anti-sway bars and the lightened flywheel the car pulled awesome through the mid to high RPM range.

I sold the car to a Dennis. He is not a wrench turner. We had long conversations and email exchanges about cars and still do. He loved the car so much after a couple months he call me to tell me he hated me for selling him the car because he now had to have a 6. After several months if hunting., sending me links to review and lend advise on he fell into a deal on a completely stock 6.

After some tune up work he called to say the 6 is nice and all but it doesn't pull or handle as well as the 4. Just reaffirms what guys that have been around for awhile have come to experience. Porsche under powered the 6. The engine they selected was not a remarkable improvement. So the quest began for more power.

Euro Hot Rods! aktion035.gif
9144me2enjoy
Rick great write up with bottom line truth!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 25 2019, 11:08 PM) *

That list is frighteningly accurate

And since we are making a list, i'd like to add the Subaru Forester to the mix. At least here in the Berkeley area they had their 15 minutes of infamy.
slap.gif

Ooh. Good point. Amended list:

Volvo 240 > Volvo 740 (briefly) > Outback > Prius 1 > Outbacks & Foresters > Prius 2 > Tesla*

*And yes, I know Teslas can be owned by car enthusiasts, but they are still a leading choice for those who hate cars and want you to know it (while they drive...cars).
VaccaRabite
I went from a 75 2.0 to a 2056 with just about every bell and whistle you could put n it. $5K for the engine and EFI system. I'm sure I have an additional $5K in there too but I have intentionally NOT kept track of my receipts. Bearing in mind that this is also spread out over many years (almost 10)

I also had to rebuild the engine as soon as I bought it due to sagging case registers that the PO did not know about. Then had to rebuild it again a few years later because I was chasing my tail with carbs and could not leave well enough alone (over an issue with a 10 cent defective carb gasket.....)

The result is a TIV that dynoed 127 at the wheels (est 150 HP at the crank) and runs cool on the freeway.

When this engine dies - I'll probably go Suby. But I'm hoping it lives for quite a while. For the money, I probably should have done that from the outset. Live and learn.

Zach
9144me2enjoy
Not seeing much from the SBC or LS1 builds or Diesel builds!
Rand
This was quite an adventure. Well, still proves there is no free lunch. But a little prime rib never hurts.

PatrickB
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 26 2019, 04:19 PM) *

Not seeing much from the SBC or LS1 builds or Diesel builds!

I don't have numbers for my diesel build or they'd be here. I just know it pulls better than the 2 litre engine I took out, and it's tired high mileage engine. Waay better on fuel too! Well over 3 seconds faster than a mostly stock 944 in an autocross this past weekend...
914dave
I’ve owned a tired stock 2.0. , a rebuilt 2056 with stock FI and a 3.2 motronic/915 conversion. The fours are a blast if you keep them in the right rpm range. Not too expensive to maintain and keeps the stock trans. A little inconsistent with reliability. The 3.2 is a whole nother story. With the 915 trans it is geared properly and isn’t screaming down the highway. I’m not afraid to drive it anywhere. The upgrade to GT brakes is a huge improvement. It gives all the confidence to drive it hard. Even with the 3.2. Of course I bought all my components well and before the price explosion. Now that it’s done I wouldn’t have regretted it even if it cost me substantially more.
9144me2enjoy
Patrick which Diesel engine did you use and did you stay with the 901 trans? ......Dave I know from my own experience that the 2056 build is a big improvement and I’m sure the 3.2 with the 915 trans has got to be quite the experience. Thanks for your input.
PatrickB
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 26 2019, 04:56 PM) *

Patrick which Diesel engine did you use and did you stay with the 901 trans? ......Dave I know from my own experience that the 2056 build is a big improvement and I’m sure the 3.2 with the 915 trans has got to be quite the experience. Thanks for your input.

A very high mileage vw aaz . 1.9 turbo with mechanical fuel injection. Lots sold in canada but I don't think it ever got sold in the U S. Supposed to be between 75 and 90 horse depending which year but easy to get more out of them. Anvance the timing and turn up the fueling and they make lots of power. Supposed to be able to handle 30 lbs boost but no point going that high without an intercooler. Used the stock 901 trans.
9144me2enjoy
Patrick 1.9T setup. I’ve seen a few attempts with the 2.0TDI @ 200hp/207 torque out of a 2005/06 Passat that looked very interesting using either the 901 trans or a Boxster or Suby trans with cable shifter with hydraulic clutch. There’s a forum member that goes by 914forme/Stephen that is very knowledgeable with these conversions, wealth of information.
Chi-town
Kent's EZ30D car on a sticky tire is probably a sub 4 second 0-60 if not mid to low 3 second range with the right driver/conditions, oh and with the A/C turned off laugh.gif

Dollar for dollar the suby swap is probably the winner unless you have a hookup for a cheap LS and Boxster S trans.

My EZ36R is 260hp/250ftlb (crank) in it's stock form with all the emissions equipment. Tuned and with basic mods (intake, header, exhaust) they come real close to 290whp and still keep that bulletproof reliability. And the icing on the cake is the motor and suby trans weigh less than the Porsche 6.

I'm a function over form so it's all about getting the most for my dollar and making it as fun and reliable as possible.
9144me2enjoy
The EZ30D and the EZ36R are definitely up for the task!
Robarabian
0-60 under 6 seconds

Haven't done a true 1/4 mile but the weakness is the 901 and the gearing.

Subaru 2.0 EJ 20 turbo. Dyno at 213 HP on the current tune. I would be afraid to make it faster as the brakes are the limitation and it already has carrera front and 914/6 rear.

9144me2enjoy
Robarabian when you choose the EJ20T did you consider the EJ25T available in 2004 Forester? So if you had to do it again and had access and funds you would of went with a Subie 5MT or 6MT trans., Or a Boxster trans?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.