Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thoughts on putting a Chevy/GMC late model 4.3L or 3.6L engine in 914, 4
9144me2enjoy
post Sep 3 2019, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,240
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What are your thoughts or problems to be expected on either putting a Aluminum 2014 Chevy 4.3L V6 LV3 engine (285hp/305 lb Torque) in a 914 using a 901 Transmission or a 2017 Aluminum GM 3.6L V6 LGZ engine (308hp/275 lb torque) in a 914 using a 901 transmission? I’ve checked with Kennedy they have the correct adapter kit for the engines to the 901 transmission. Both engines weigh 340-400 lbs. each. What draws my attention to these engines is the late model technology, weight, size, hp, torque.....I know the stock new E92 ECU would probably be a bear. I realize the 901 trans would have to have the upper gears addressed and beefier axles and cooling would have to be addressed. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 3 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Lots of cutting and cursing.
Gotta run plumbing to the front, lose front trunk to the big ass radiator.
Gonna dump hot air on your front brakes, trunk will always be full of dirt.
Can't use 1st gear with that torque, so effectively the 901 will be a 4 speed, taking off in 2nd.
Weight higher in the car. Wiring nightmare.

Those are just a few things the immediately come to mind, probably going to be more.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 3 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

See this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=340116

Can you do a standalone ECU for the LGZ?

+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Sep 3 2019, 01:23 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the thread, I missed it somehow! SirAndy and Mueller appreciate your feed back. I have lots of research to do....have a great day.
+Quote Post
twistedstang
post Sep 3 2019, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,395

Same effort and money as a LS.. less motor.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 3 2019, 02:32 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

@speedmetalarmy did a really nice job with an LS swap. If I did it LS would be what I’d do.
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Sep 3 2019, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Thanks
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 3 2019, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 22,446
Region Association: Southern California

You should cover these thoughts if you decide to swap anything into a 914:

What will I get for my investment
How will affect the driving / Handling / reliability of the car
What Supporting modifications will in need to make (Cooling/Drive train/wiring)
Do I have the skills to do it or will I need a professional (Most of us need professional help! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

And this one I always throw in:

For the money spent can you buy a car that will do what you want and save time/effort/money/aggrivation? (Miata/Cheap Boxster/Cheap 996/ Vespa Scooter) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Sep 3 2019, 05:09 PM
Post #9

#3 Vespa Scooter, I think you’ve been talking to my wife!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 3 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #10

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

So I will take a stab at that side of the coin. What I have invested in tooling, both the basics and some really cool fab tools, the parts again some basic and some very high end cool stuff. I do not mind paying for high quality stuff. I added it all up, and I could have ran down okay walked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) to the Porsche dealer, and dropped my name on the list for a Cayman GT4. Had coin left over to get get a new z51 C8. Or walked over to that British company that dominated F1, and brought home something with a 7xxS in its name. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) If that is your thing you would not have asked the question or carried on a really long conversation about a 914 TDI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Pick your engine and build the car. Sometimes you have to build the car around the engine sometimes the car is built for an engine and it takes a dreamer with a vision to make everyone realize just how wrong they where and the type-4 or even the holy grail 911 engine just might not have been the right engine for the car that was a vision 50 years ago, and still has potential today.

Factory played the hot rod game, and we are just up holding that time honored tradition. Get out there, cut weld, spin a few spanners, and get the dang car build. Then drive.

I was once told by a sage man, a running 914 is better than no 914. Thank you @McMark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
9144me2enjoy
post Sep 3 2019, 05:42 PM
Post #11

Very true!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 4 2019, 04:50 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2019, 01:48 PM) *

Lots of cutting and cursing.
Gotta run plumbing to the front, lose front trunk to the big ass radiator.
Gonna dump hot air on your front brakes, trunk will always be full of dirt.
Can't use 1st gear with that torque, so effectively the 901 will be a 4 speed, taking off in 2nd.
Weight higher in the car. Wiring nightmare.

Those are just a few things the immediately come to mind, probably going to be more.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You forgot higher center of gravity and degraded handling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 4 2019, 09:38 AM
Post #13

Aluminum LS is about the same weight as a -6 with a center of gravity just slightly higher which gets offset by the weight of the radiator and coolant lines filled with coolant at the lowest points of the car.

Technically a -6 oil tank raises the COG also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ad to that a much better shifting and stronger Boxster S trans which makes a 901 look like the stone ages (which it is).

As for wiring, I wouldn't consider having to connect Batt power, Switched Ignition power, and ground a "mess " or a "nightmare". The availability of standalone harnesses for cheap have eliminated this issue.

Old school SBC, 12v switched for the HEI and Alt. Generator light hook up And a ground. Done

There's a reason there's so many V8 swaps out there and why Renegade is booked solid.

It was originally my second option after the suby
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 4 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 4 2019, 08:38 AM) *
There's a reason there's so many V8 swaps out there and why Renegade is booked solid.

There's also a reason why most of them look like someone hacked them together over a weekend while someone else was holding their beer.
When they are done with attention to detail they can be great but somehow most of them are the exact opposite.

It seems the v6/8 conversion route is often taken as the last ditch effort to get a rotting 914 back on the road.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 4 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 4 2019, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 4 2019, 08:38 AM) *

There's also a reason why most of them look like someone hacked them together over a weekend while someone else was holding their beer.
When they are done with attention to detail they can be great but somehow most of them are the exact opposite.

It seems the v6/8 conversion route is often taken as the last ditch effort to get a rotting 914 back on the road.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Guilty as charged. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 4 2019, 03:10 PM
Post #16

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

The 3.6 is a sports car motor, used in the Camaro & Caddys. The 4.3 has always been a truck motor (3/4 a 350 sbc).

The 3.6 would be the better choice. How well it fits with all the VVT & new tech is to be seen.
The LS is a fairly compact motor as it's still pushrod design where everything else is DOHC. Plus the LS swap has been done and sorted.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 4 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 04:14 PM) *

I added it all up, and I could have ran down okay walked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) to the Porsche dealer, and dropped my name on the list for a Cayman GT4. Had coin left over to get get a new z51 C8.

I have a feeling that a lot of the v8 conversions will go away and H6 conversions will be made of them in a few years as the demand for good H6 cars skyrocket and the people who want a cheap fast mid engine v8 car will go the route of the MUCH nicer c8 for similar money..

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 4 2019, 06:16 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

QUOTE(Chi-town @ Sep 4 2019, 11:38 AM) *

Aluminum LS is about the same weight as a -6 with a center of gravity just slightly higher which gets offset by the weight of the radiator and coolant lines filled with coolant at the lowest points of the car.

Technically a -6 oil tank raises the COG also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

No disrespect to any of the guys doing V6/V8/V10/V12 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) conversions. To each his own. I applaud you guys for the fabrication and the effort involved in your chosen path. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I mean this as a discussion of the engineering and physics which is clear. LS or not, the upward movement of the center of gravity is higher and more significant than estimated. I'll even give the benefit of assuming the LS being dry sumped. CG is moving higher with any Vee arrangement than with a flat boxer engine. Don't get me started on what it would be with a wet sump! In the case of a 914, moving the CG upward relative to the vehicle roll center is not going to be a good thing with a semi-trailing arm rear suspension.

Granted, most people don't have the equipment to do a serious CG / moments of inertia study, but, you can do a pretty accurate CG measurement and not guess. Measurements can be made with basic racing scales by the method below.

http://www.longacreracing.com/technical-ar...aspx?item=42586

Saying that movement of the CG is partially offset by having the coolant and radiator is partially true, but, what has been done is that the polar moment of inertia of the vehicle has been increased by moving that mass of radiator and coolant to the front of the vehicle. Again, not the direction you want to go to improve handling.

You are correct that 911 oil tank moves CG up, but, the mass as placed by Porsche is still centralized to the engine area to maintain a very low polar moment of inertia relative to most other cars on the road. If you really wanted, that oil tank could be moved elsewhere, but, at the risk of adding yaw inertia. Ideal place to relocate would probably be the passenger seat area in a flat tank at floor level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

My last point would be regardless of how many V8 / Renegades might be out there, that still doesn't offset the physics with respect to handling degradation's. It just speaks to our American penchant for Rule #1 of Hot Rod culture which is there is no replacement for displacement. America is a land of long straight roads so lots of torque, high HP, and ease of driving are weighted favorably by most at the expense of handling.

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 4 2019, 06:17 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 4 2019, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2019, 04:14 PM) *

I added it all up, and I could have ran down okay walked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) to the Porsche dealer, and dropped my name on the list for a Cayman GT4. Had coin left over to get get a new z51 C8.

I have a feeling that a lot of the v8 conversions will go away and H6 conversions will be made of them in a few years as the demand for good H6 cars skyrocket and the people who want a cheap fast mid engine v8 car will go the route of the MUCH nicer c8 for similar money..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

the mid engine Vette is seriously interesting.
+Quote Post
Chi-town
post Sep 4 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #20

The -6 oil tank and lines are hardly "centered" since they are all on the outer edge of the LH side of the car?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:19 PM