Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any one knows this car?, For sale in Houston.
HansJan
post Sep 6 2019, 09:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,

Any one here that knows this car?
It’s a 1975 1.8L
My 14 yr old son is wanting it as his first car (leaves us a 1.5 years to get it ready).
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
HansJan
post Sep 13 2019, 11:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

The seller came to my home yesterday to show it to me.
I have decided not to purchase it (unless its super duper cheap).
Asking price is $4,500. I offered $2,000. So there is no deal.
The car needs a bunch of work, and is "almost" at the point of no-return to be roadworthy. But for AutoX it should be fine.

Here is what I have seen.

Paint is cheaply done, but decent shape.
There are rust bubbles where the cowl meets the front quarter panels. Repairing that will mess up the paint. The gaps between cowl and quarter panel have been hidden (with bondo?) and this is where the bubbles are.

Door gaps look to be narrower on top then bottom. But when jacking up the car at the jacking point the gaps don't move. Chassis seems stiff. The gage could be instrumental in this.

Longs The rocker panels were still on, so I couldn't really see the longs. But from what I did see there was not too much rust. And I did jack-up the car through those square tubes.

Donuts were dented etc, but not rusted out. Right rear showed some rust behind the donut.

Hell-hole is not great but also not bad.

frame stiffening was done around the rear wheel wells and suspension.

Floor board on passenger side had a 10"-12" piece of sheetmetal welded in. Done by an amateur worse then me.

besides these areas there was not too much rust.

Sway bars are present front and back (backside disconnected).

There are heat exchangers, but the hoses are missing, so no heat inside the cabin.

Shift linkage and bushings are acceptable. Shifter itself feels short.

Booths around shift linkage point, as well as around the CV-Joints are in good condition.

There is a major 18' crack in the windshield.

Side windows roll up fine, But all rubbers around them are gone. Passenger window crank is missing.

Passenger outer door handle does not work.

Sound dampening materials are absent.

Rain tray is present. One funnel present and one funnel missing.

Engine # starts with EC (US model)

Oil leak, left some drops of oil on my floor.

Outside mirrors missing.

Peddleboard missing.

The pop-up headlights are replaced by extremely bright white LED's in the side markers. But the originals are included in a box.

Hood is polyester (but original is included separately).

No visible cracks in the light lenses.

Backup lights don't work.

Blinkers don't work.

Speedometer not working

Charging system works (battery in good condition).

There are some additional gauges.

Tires: Front are worn-out, rears 50%

The wiring in and around the dashboard area is a mess. You will be like an airplane pilot, flipping a bunch of switches before take-off. Turning the key doesn't do anything besides avoiding steering-wheel lock.

The dashboard itself is basically non-existent (not sure how to describe this.

Starter motor turned but did not engage (might need the McMarck Solenoid solution).

Consider buying share in 914Rubber.com or AA, because the buyer would need lots of parts (carpet kit, mirrors, all rubbers, dashboard,...…).

The engine runs nicely and idles calmly. Although the cover of one of the control units is missing.

Even if you're not doing any hood-sliding, you still need to be one of the Duke-brothers to get into this car with roll-gage. I'm only 49 and not even 6'3", but getting in was an event all by itself.

Seller is somewhat flexible with the price.

Br,
Hans Jan
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 14 2019, 12:26 AM
Post #3

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(HansJan @ Sep 13 2019, 10:43 PM) *

The seller came to my home yesterday to show it to me.
I have decided not to purchase it (unless its super duper cheap).
Asking price is $4,500. I offered $2,000. So there is no deal.
The car needs a bunch of work, and is "almost" at the point of no-return to be roadworthy. But for AutoX it should be fine.

Here is what I have seen.

Paint is cheaply done, but decent shape.
There are rust bubbles where the cowl meets the front quarter panels. Repairing that will mess up the paint. The gaps between cowl and quarter panel have been hidden (with bondo?) and this is where the bubbles are.

Door gaps look to be narrower on top then bottom. But when jacking up the car at the jacking point the gaps don't move. Chassis seems stiff. The gage could be instrumental in this.

Longs The rocker panels were still on, so I couldn't really see the longs. But from what I did see there was not too much rust. And I did jack-up the car through those square tubes.

Donuts were dented etc, but not rusted out. Right rear showed some rust behind the donut.

Hell-hole is not great but also not bad.

frame stiffening was done around the rear wheel wells and suspension.

Floor board on passenger side had a 10"-12" piece of sheetmetal welded in. Done by an amateur worse then me.

besides these areas there was not too much rust.

Sway bars are present front and back (backside disconnected).

There are heat exchangers, but the hoses are missing, so no heat inside the cabin.

Shift linkage and bushings are acceptable. Shifter itself feels short.

Booths around shift linkage point, as well as around the CV-Joints are in good condition.

There is a major 18' crack in the windshield.

Side windows roll up fine, But all rubbers around them are gone. Passenger window crank is missing.

Passenger outer door handle does not work.

Sound dampening materials are absent.

Rain tray is present. One funnel present and one funnel missing.

Engine # starts with EC (US model)

Oil leak, left some drops of oil on my floor.

Outside mirrors missing.

Peddleboard missing.

The pop-up headlights are replaced by extremely bright white LED's in the side markers. But the originals are included in a box.

Hood is polyester (but original is included separately).

No visible cracks in the light lenses.

Backup lights don't work.

Blinkers don't work.

Speedometer not working

Charging system works (battery in good condition).

There are some additional gauges.

Tires: Front are worn-out, rears 50%

The wiring in and around the dashboard area is a mess. You will be like an airplane pilot, flipping a bunch of switches before take-off. Turning the key doesn't do anything besides avoiding steering-wheel lock.

The dashboard itself is basically non-existent (not sure how to describe this.

Starter motor turned but did not engage (might need the McMarck Solenoid solution).

Consider buying share in 914Rubber.com or AA, because the buyer would need lots of parts (carpet kit, mirrors, all rubbers, dashboard,...…).

The engine runs nicely and idles calmly. Although the cover of one of the control units is missing.

Even if you're not doing any hood-sliding, you still need to be one of the Duke-brothers to get into this car with roll-gage. I'm only 49 and not even 6'3", but getting in was an event all by itself.

Seller is somewhat flexible with the price.

Br,
Hans Jan

That is a beautiful write up/PPI.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
HansJan   Any one knows this car?   Sep 6 2019, 09:57 PM
SirAndy   Not trying to be a dick, but i don't think any...   Sep 6 2019, 10:02 PM
brcacti   Not trying to be a dick, but i don't think an...   Sep 12 2019, 03:15 PM
Superhawk996   You have to drive these cars VERY CAREFULLY if ...   Sep 13 2019, 05:09 AM
914forme   You have to drive these cars VERY CAREFULLY if...   Sep 13 2019, 12:44 PM
Larmo63   :agree: And, what do you sit on to drive it?   Sep 6 2019, 10:05 PM
Superhawk996   Don't listen to the grouchy old men. I thin...   Sep 6 2019, 10:24 PM
tygaboy   Check that cage for head clearance. Maybe it's...   Sep 6 2019, 10:33 PM
bandjoey   Can't install the roof by looking at those pi...   Sep 6 2019, 10:51 PM
Costa05   Can't install the roof by looking at those p...   Sep 6 2019, 11:49 PM
don-6   Teen aged boy is going to crash his first car. It...   Sep 6 2019, 11:52 PM
rjames   Teen aged boy is going to crash his first car. It...   Sep 7 2019, 12:09 AM
ClayPerrine   Teen aged boy is going to crash his first car. It...   Sep 7 2019, 05:44 AM
mepstein   I love 914’s and still have the one I drove when...   Sep 7 2019, 05:04 AM
IronHillRestorations   Unless your teenage boy is going to wear a helmet ...   Sep 7 2019, 06:26 AM
Superhawk996   Unless your teenage boy is going to wear a helmet...   Sep 7 2019, 06:48 AM
JOEPROPER   I think his first car should be more substantial.....   Sep 7 2019, 06:31 AM
Superhawk996   I think his first car should be more substantial....   Sep 7 2019, 06:53 AM
HansJan   This conversation took an unexpected turn. The pl...   Sep 7 2019, 11:34 AM
don-6   I think a 914 is a great project for you and your ...   Sep 7 2019, 11:38 AM
Literati914   Me and the family drove down to Houston several we...   Sep 7 2019, 12:16 PM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   I like the blue and orange gulf colors!   Sep 7 2019, 12:18 PM
thelogo   I speak from experience Put any teenager in a vw...   Sep 7 2019, 12:19 PM
mankowski   I don't know the car, and am also wondering wh...   Sep 7 2019, 05:33 PM
914forme   Ditch the cage, beyond that great idea, my first c...   Sep 7 2019, 08:31 PM
HansJan   Thanks for the input. Indeed it would need a bunc...   Sep 7 2019, 09:13 PM
jmitro   don't know the car but looks like a fun projec...   Sep 8 2019, 08:46 AM
HansJan   I will get to see this car tomorrow. Looking for c...   Sep 11 2019, 10:44 AM
SirAndy   Don't hold back :D :hugme: :beer2:   Sep 11 2019, 11:28 AM
914forme   Okay well here is where I would start. Kirkeys ar...   Sep 12 2019, 11:49 AM
HansJan   Okay well here is where I would start. Kirkeys a...   Sep 12 2019, 11:57 AM
Craigers17   HansJan, Were you able to go and look at the car?...   Sep 13 2019, 01:46 AM
HansJan   The seller came to my home yesterday to show it to...   Sep 13 2019, 11:43 PM
rjames   The seller came to my home yesterday to show it t...   Sep 14 2019, 12:26 AM
Craigers17   [quote name='HansJan' post='2746922' date='Sep 13...   Sep 14 2019, 01:10 AM
HansJan   RE: Any one knows this car?   Sep 13 2019, 11:52 PM
Andyrew   Expecting a running driving 914 to be less than 4k...   Sep 14 2019, 01:30 AM
HansJan   [quote name='Andyrew' date='Sep 14 201...   Sep 14 2019, 09:57 AM
rhodyguy   Knowing when to walk away is a good thing. I don...   Sep 14 2019, 10:50 AM
914forme   Wow somebody is actually thinking, :idea: an 8K ...   Sep 14 2019, 10:58 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:39 PM