Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Taco Plate Madness, What is proper for oil temp sender?
mtc911
post Sep 16 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,978
Region Association: South East States

So I have read a ton of threads on this topic and each one lands me with a different answer and everyone I talk to has a different t opinion

My car didn’t have oil temp sensor
I ordered
- the sensor plate (taco plate)
- orange o ring
- copper crush washers

I installed and was careful not to tighten too much but wanted to make sure the Bolts were snug.

All seemed fine put a few hundred miles in car - no leaks

- on way to Okteenerfest huge amount of smoke - pull over immediately taco plate / o-ring is gushing oil - lost about all of the oil there.

You might notice a couple of tears in the o-ring - I believe that happened when I pulled over and about burned myself trying to tighten the taco plate to stop the leak (didn’t work obviously)

Could the bolts have backed out of the case? Do they need some low strength loctite on them ?

What Am I missing. Pictured is what I have to install - new crush washers and new o-ring

Do I need the cover and extra paper gasket? I can’t even find where to buy that additional cover anymore and I don’t think it would solve the o-ring leaking anyway.

I have read to use Loctite 565 on the o-ring - is that necessary?

What is the torque for the bolts?

Do I need a paper gasket and the o-ring?

Any help is appreciated. I’m obviously confused by all the different answers I am getting. Pictured here is what I have to install. Do I need something else?Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 11:47 AM