Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate Madness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtc911
So I have read a ton of threads on this topic and each one lands me with a different answer and everyone I talk to has a different t opinion

My car didn’t have oil temp sensor
I ordered
- the sensor plate (taco plate)
- orange o ring
- copper crush washers

I installed and was careful not to tighten too much but wanted to make sure the Bolts were snug.

All seemed fine put a few hundred miles in car - no leaks

- on way to Okteenerfest huge amount of smoke - pull over immediately taco plate / o-ring is gushing oil - lost about all of the oil there.

You might notice a couple of tears in the o-ring - I believe that happened when I pulled over and about burned myself trying to tighten the taco plate to stop the leak (didn’t work obviously)

Could the bolts have backed out of the case? Do they need some low strength loctite on them ?

What Am I missing. Pictured is what I have to install - new crush washers and new o-ring

Do I need the cover and extra paper gasket? I can’t even find where to buy that additional cover anymore and I don’t think it would solve the o-ring leaking anyway.

I have read to use Loctite 565 on the o-ring - is that necessary?

What is the torque for the bolts?

Do I need a paper gasket and the o-ring?

Any help is appreciated. I’m obviously confused by all the different answers I am getting. Pictured here is what I have to install. Do I need something else?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
I don't have a taco plate in my car, but I think you have the sending unit in backwards.

Swap the sending unit and replace the o-ring. Lube up the o-ring with oil or silicone grease. The way you have the taco plate installed, the o-ring isn't supported from collapsing inward and causing a leak.
sixnotfour
here is all the pieces.....your sender is backwards, and if you don't have the protective cover you don't need the paper gasket...for it to function or seal..
bdstone914
@mtc911

You installed it upside down. The senser is on the wrong side. The hump goes up and into the case. The hole area is wraped as there was a gap under the plate.

Get a new o ring, flatten the distortion and reinstall. Covers are NLA. They will work without a cover. You may have lower readings as the air from under the car will cool the outside of the sendor.

Bruce
mtc911
Well I’m an idiot. Upside down. Amazing how I can look at a picture 20 times and not see that. That’s embarrassing. Thanks all!
bdstone914
@mtc911
Well I’m an idiot. Upside down. Amazing how I can look at a picture 20 times and not see that. That’s embarrassing. Thanks all!

Too bad you did not make it to Octeenerfest. You would have had a great chance of getting the jack stand award. first.gif
mtc911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 17 2019, 08:57 AM) *

@mtc911

Too bad you did not make it to Octeenerfest. You would have had a great chance of getting the jack stand award. first.gif

I actually was there..brought a different car...glad i didn't win that one smile.gif
mtc911
Got it all back together properly. I have a very slow leak still present. 2 questions.
1 - does it need something like the loctite 565 I have seen recommended in other places
2 - anyone know what to torque the bolts to?

Thanks
bobboinski
QUOTE(mtc911 @ Oct 3 2019, 06:48 PM) *

Got it all back together properly. I have a very slow leak still present. 2 questions.
1 - does it need something like the loctite 565 I have seen recommended in other places

Thanks

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=taco+plate
914forme
565 YES great for O-rings and sealing them up.

poke.gif works great on push rod seals also
914forme
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Oct 3 2019, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mtc911 @ Oct 3 2019, 06:48 PM) *

Thanks

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=taco+plate

confused24.gif just tell him the torque specs and then reference the search.

And since it bottoms out on the engine casting do not over torque, as it can damage the plate, and cause a leak. I would also seal the bolts. do not insulate the sender as it grounds via its connection to the plate. It is a one wire unit. If it becomes an issue you can add a ground wire so it can reference ground.

The PET also references two sealing rings for the bolts, if I remember right been a long time they are copper crush washers and need replace each time the plate is serviced.

PET can be found here

And if you have not heard do not torque your oil screen down to hard, it can break the case ear that also supports a cam bearing. That makes for a bad day. 16 Ft.P as referenced at Pelican Parts article.
914forme
To bad the PET does not have the torque spec for the associated bolts. That would be a nice addition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.