Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Damn you Craigslist V8 914 build thread, Once more down the rabbit hole I go
burton73
post Oct 16 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #101

burton73

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Your car is killing me with memories.

Love it Dick,
Great job done on it... Clean and nice

Bob B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 16 2019, 05:03 PM
Post #102

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

SDS and others make a simple coil pack ignition that runs off magnetic trigger that would solve your issue, just need to have a plug for the dizzy hole and gets ride of that Mallory box also. SDS only does a 4 or 6 cylinder model.

Your looking for a crank trigger ignition.
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Oct 20 2019, 09:22 PM
Post #103

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I just had dinner with the cousin of the guy who sold you #88. It's a small 914World.
Sounds like a fun time is gonna happen!
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Aug 16 2020, 11:55 AM
Post #104

Member No.: 18,454

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 16 2019, 04:03 PM) *

SDS and others make a simple coil pack ignition that runs off magnetic trigger that would solve your issue, just need to have a plug for the dizzy hole and gets ride of that Mallory box also. SDS only does a 4 or 6 cylinder model.

Thank you.
This is what I will be going with https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/ig...ss/parts/601513
And a super Sniper EFI
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Aug 16 2020, 12:06 PM
Post #105

so I guess I need to turn this into a build thread. As usual I can't really help myself and I get the "while you in there" thoughts and down the rabbit hole I go.

We have been busy with this car and I need to add the progress pictures to this thread but here's the quick versions. It has become a full restoration with lots of upgrades. The thought is to do everything right so eventually I can convert it over to a 3.2 twin plug and hold all the power I want. In the meantime I want to have a Bad Ass V8 car to play with.
Here are a few videos to give you an idea of what's been going on with the car

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_gchMBFV6k/?i...d=137qz0rw046te

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBRLTGclfNA/?i...d=17eidhuy23gcb

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCfh14MlAh-/?igshid=2a4lchavhxu

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CDCaqhgFlZc/?i...d=1gfpmvc0ggtrg

Since all of that we pulled the car from the body shop, pulled the motor and fixed the Hell hole.
Going to spend tge rest of this hot day stripping the rest of the engine bay

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
FL000
post Aug 18 2020, 08:33 PM
Post #106

Member No.: 14,076
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 16 2020, 10:55 AM) *

Thank you.
This is what I will be going with https://www.holley.com/products/ignition/ig...ss/parts/601513
And a super Sniper EFI

This is going to be a nice setup. I am leaning towards the Holley Super Sniper also, but not sure I will l ditch the distributor. I'll be watching this for sure.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Aug 20 2020, 08:58 AM
Post #107

QUOTE(FL 000 @ Aug 18 2020, 07:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 16 2020, 10:55 AM) *

Thank you.
And a super Sniper EFI

This is going to be a nice setup. I am leaning towards the Holley Super Sniper also, but not sure I will l ditch the distributor. I'll be watching this for sure.

It's a balance because at a certain point the cost of all of this stuff adds up to an LS motor that has fuel injection and does not need the cut out for the dizzy
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 21 2020, 02:08 PM
Post #108

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) But then your adding a bit more because you will want the Audi 6 speed out of a Euro Diesel for those taller gears.

Slippery slope
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 3 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #109

Any idea who makes this front Valance?

I need one.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 4 2020, 09:12 AM
Post #110

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looks like the Renegade Hybrids valance:

RH Valance

Still the same price after all these years.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Sep 4 2020, 09:13 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Double post.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 4 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #112

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2020, 04:03 PM) *

Any idea who makes this front Valance?

I need one.

Attached Image

Pretty sure we have that mold too
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 22 2020, 09:31 AM
Post #113

It has been a very Busy few months since I posted last. I ended up getting the engine Bay all cleaned up and then Cary welded up the trunk to remove the dizzy cut out. I got the car back over to the paint shop. With the Carbon fiber hood and trunk but the painter talked me into painting the original steel hood and trunk with the paint that is mixed for the spray and possibly coming back and doing the Carbon fiber ones later. He was not comfortable with how much they flex and was worried about cutting and buffing them. Since they are a collision shop he didn't have any experience on this type of part and it scared him a little.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 22 2020, 09:48 AM
Post #114

As I am working on this V8 build I get connected with someone else who has a V8 914 that he is working on (Thank you Glenn Cordell for the introduction)
As with many of you who have met me, this is another brother from another mother that I didn't know I had until the cars brought us together. Sung Kang from the Fast and the Furious movies is a real car guy and really wants to learn and understand them. He plans on doing some really cool things with them but his 1st car is a rust free example that just happened to have been swapped with a 327 Chevy. I went down to visit him a few months ago when I was down for the Carona Rally. I invited him along to come meet the community and really understand that the 914 World community is what makes these cars so special too.
Since he really wanted to study the car and "learn it's ethos" I expressed that I thought that he should probably start with a 1.7 and work his way up from there. I offered to loan him my car for as long as he wanted it to get that feeling and better understand what Porsche designed before going the the hot rod side. He accepted and I brought my car down to him

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 22 2020, 10:12 AM
Post #115

About a month or so I get a call from my friend JP in Vegas telling me that it's an 120 degrees there and he wants to get out of down. He needs to go up to Seattle and is planning on driving up the coast. I then get a call from Sung telling me that he has purchased another 914 to work on and doesn't need my car any longer. So the stars line up and I fly down to pick up my car and drive back with JP. Only now that it's been a month and I have had too much time to think about the motor options for the car in this build thread, am now thinking an LS swap is probably the best way to go. During this time I also find a classified on 914 World from @speedmetalarmy Greg who has a Boxter S transmission and everything I will need to go with it for an LS.
I need to get this about the same time so the general idea is to drive the 914 back to Portland and then grab my truck and go get it. One small issue, Greg is across the border in Canada.
As we are driving up through California and I am really enjoying the 914. I get a wild hair and think, wouldn't it be fun to just take the 914 the whole way? So I stop by the house pull out the passenger seat and grab my passport. I head North, not really knowing for sure if I can get across the boarder or not. According to the internet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) It is open for "Trade" I am trading $ for parts so hopefully this will work.
I get the the border and give the guard my 914 Rubber business card and tell him what I want to do. There is literally no one else crossing the border, just some dumb old American in a 914 that wants to come in and get a Transmission in this little tiny car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) He asks where am I going, I show him my directions on my phone. He says you're going to get it and cross right back over? Yes, I promise. I still need to go back home to Oregon.
He takes pity on my dumb ass and let's me in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 22 2020, 10:24 AM
Post #116

So now I have some of the parts that I will need for the LS swap but I don't really have the knowledge to know what to choose and what all I will need to go with it. Once again my friend JP in Vegas has an event coming up and wants me to come down. Vegas Autofest is one of the only car events in the country to actually happen. I wanted to learn more from Renegade Hybrids anyway so set some time up with @Toast to come and visit.
Travis is Awesome and walks me through all of the options. I recorded all of this so I have it for reference and will edit it to share with you guys if your interested.
While we are there they have a very nice one for sale with a 350 SBC that they are selling for a customer. We decided to film it early the next morning and got this shot.
If anyone is looking for a completed car. This one is very nice and well sorted out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 22 2020, 10:39 AM
Post #117

A few weeks later I get a call from another friend in Vegas about a 914 racecar. Now I need another car like I need a hole in the head at this point. However it would be cool to have a car to actually do some Research and Development for the Sharidan Racing molds so it's kind of interesting. My buddy says they are willing to go take a look at it. I figured no harm in looking at it. They go over and do a video call with me. The car actually runs and drives and sounds incredibly healthy. Duane tells me that the cost of the motor alone is double the cost of what they guy wants to sell it to me for.
So I give they guy a deposit and send over Chris Prim to do a compression check and look it over. He gives it the thumbs up and now I have to get down and pick it up. Since I am going there anyway. I decided to take all of my recently acquired Boxter S transmission and parts and bring it to Renegade so they can help me get everything setup for a bolt in option. (Hit the Easy button) this will allow me to focus on getting the rest of the car restored and back together if I have any chance of getting this car done by April to drive from Oregon to North Carolina for Luftgekühlt.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 22 2020, 11:25 AM
Post #118

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

That's a killer car! Is there a title? It would be fun to see that thing on the streets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 23 2020, 06:04 AM
Post #119

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

@Matty900
thats some crazy road trippin' there up and down the coast! sounds like some fun projects that you have in the works in the coming year. Which care are you taking to Lufte? thats a LONG drive to NC from Oregon! now that its scheduled again in April i will have to think long and hard about it, not sure if i am going to Amelia this year or not, but there are so many cool cars there too and if Werks Reunion is on then i guess i will go, but ive never been to Luftegekuhlt so going to try and make that happen, would be great to see you guys again. this race car is a crazy beast always nice when you can write off a toy like that as a business expense, right!?! in the name of research! looking forward to seeing those CF parts too.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 23 2020, 07:44 AM
Post #120

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Actually the cars are not part of the business. Sure some events we can sponsor and write off, but Matt’s got the bug.
Even tried to talk him out of the race car.

Although, I do recall telling my wife it’s not hoarding if it says Porsche on it.

Oh crap ....... maybe I have a problem too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:30 AM