Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Damn you Craigslist V8 914 build thread, Once more down the rabbit hole I go
Matty900
post Sep 24 2019, 08:30 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,454
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 24 2019, 07:24 PM) *

Just need to lose all the bolt on crap.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marksteinhilber
post Sep 24 2019, 09:42 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 15,057
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2019, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 05:16 PM) *
Can anyone tell me what he was doing with the alligator clip on the fuse post? Where should that really go? It runs down to the alternator (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Well, the removed the voltage regulator from the relay board so maybe some sort of bypass?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Voltage regulator is in the gm alternator. If it runs keep wiring the same, just improve the connections and make it look nice!
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 24 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #63

QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Sep 24 2019, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 23 2019, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 22 2019, 05:16 PM) *
Can anyone tell me what he was doing with the alligator clip on the fuse post? Where should that really go? It runs down to the alternator (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Well, the removed the voltage regulator from the relay board so maybe some sort of bypass?

Voltage regulator is in the gm alternator. If it runs keep wiring the same, just improve the connections and make it look nice!

Thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I am a little concerned that the water pump and of course the fans on the radiator are electric. With the alternator just hanging down there with no splash guard incase of weather. Any suggestions?
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 24 2019, 10:29 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I've never been into V8 swaps, maybe because most of those I've seen has been paired with questionable 80's body modifications. BUT THIS ! Oh hell Yes ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Suddenly my little 160hp martini narrowbody feels a little weak....perhaps I should.....dammit Matty ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 24 2019, 11:29 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 24 2019, 09:29 PM) *

I've never been into V8 swaps, maybe because most of those I've seen has been paired with questionable 80's body modifications. BUT THIS ! Oh hell Yes ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Suddenly my little 160hp martini narrowbody feels a little weak....perhaps I should.....dammit Matty ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Don't do it!! Your car is awesome. If you want to do another car, then Hell yes brother, join the club. It's a lot of fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Plus it's been just long enough that your probably itching for another build like I am.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Sep 25 2019, 12:17 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 25 2019, 07:29 AM) *

Don't do it!! Your car is awesome. If you want to do another car, then Hell yes brother, join the club. It's a lot of fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Plus it's been just long enough that your probably itching for another build like I am.

Yes I know its a little too nice to cut up and finding another body over here is quite tricky.

I've already got another build going. My son and I started building a Lotus super seven replica this spring. He gets to start taking driving lessons in 2½ years so it needs to be finished by then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've got two posts on my webpage here about it: http://matsgarage.com/?p=1386

+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 25 2019, 01:08 AM
Post #67

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 24 2019, 11:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 25 2019, 07:29 AM) *

Yes I know its a little too nice to cut up and finding another body over here is quite tricky.

I've already got another build going. My son and I started building a Lotus super seven replica this spring. He gets to start taking driving lessons in 2½ years so it needs to be finished by then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I've got two posts on my webpage here about it: http://matsgarage.com/?p=1386

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That's awesome
Make sure your posting som progress photos on Instagram so I will remember to check your progress thread. That looks like it will be a lot of fun
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post Sep 25 2019, 09:50 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 24 2019, 01:42 AM) *

Thanks guys for all of the help. I am thinking that the battery needs to go back to the correct location too. It could get interesting because he put an electric heater box in that location. So I will probably relocate that to below the relay board.

Matt,
Looking at the pic it looks like it has water running through that box? If so, please take lots of pics if you relocate it to give the rest of us ideas on how that was set up!
+Quote Post
a9146luvr
post Sep 25 2019, 10:25 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 1,495
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 23 2019, 11:47 PM) *

This is what it feels like to drive a 400hp 914 after driving the 86hp 1.7

I don't see any gas stations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 26 2019, 01:17 AM
Post #70

I will document the move of the heater box when the time comes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Gas stations- yes it does like to visit them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

So I am looking at the wiring diagram of the relay board and where he hooked up the sweet "connection" with his roach clip (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
And I am trying to figure out if I can put that in the plug on the board. If so, would it be on the 97 pin or the 9 pin?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 26 2019, 01:24 AM
Post #71

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Sep 26 2019, 08:53 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 20,876

What is that roach clip/red wire powering?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Sep 26 2019, 11:47 AM
Post #73

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

You squiggled the wrong side of the fuse. It's switched 12v and it should turn 'on' the alt >> charges when turning. That circuit turns on the relays.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 26 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #74

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 26 2019, 07:53 AM) *

What is that roach clip/red wire powering?

I will have to look a little closer. I thought it was exciting the alternator

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Sep 26 2019, 12:13 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 20,876

I've done a lot of motor switches. This was my first with a Porsche, however. I always try to make my engine transplants look like the car came that way from the factory (as much as possible). This forum has been a huge help in that regard in all areas including wiring. All the wiring changes below are prior posts by others on the forum.

Here is my standard 3 wire GM/Delco alternator...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521756.1.jpg)

The wire indicated by the yellow arrow goes directly to the + terminal of the battery.

The wire indicated by the green arrow loops back to the same terminal as the yellow arrow wire. This is the sensor wire to tell the regulator how much to charge depending on the battery condition and load.

The wire indicated by the white arrow turns the "idiot light" on and off and goes to the relay panel in the engine compartment.

Here's my relay panel...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521621.1.jpg)

The white star is the power relay. The yellow star is the fuel pump relay. Both of these need to be in place.

The wire indicated by the white arrow goes to ground. This wire "fools" the system into thinking there is a stock ECU in place and allows you to hook up a low pressure fuel pump for the carb in the same spot and with the same wires as the stock high pressure fuel pump.

The wire indicated by the orange arrow is the wire indicated by the white arrow from the alternator. It is the one that turns the idiot light on and off. It hooks to the terminal shown that the voltage regulator used to plug into (now no longer needed since the alternator is internally regulated).

The wire indicated by the yellow arrow is attached to a switched, non fused, 12V terminal on the relay panel. I am running my electric choke from this terminal.

Other than power to my fans on the radiator in the frunk, I believe these are the only wiring changes I had to make in order to install the V8. (well, there is the rev limiter and the TachAdapt, but those are easy ones)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521622.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
PatrickB
post Sep 26 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 20,960
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Sep 26 2019, 02:13 PM) *

I've done a lot of motor switches. This was my first with a Porsche, however. I always try to make my engine transplants look like the car came that way from the factory (as much as possible). This forum has been a huge help in that regard in all areas including wiring. All the wiring changes below are prior posts by others on the forum.

Here is my standard 3 wire GM/Delco alternator...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521756.1.jpg)

The wire indicated by the yellow arrow goes directly to the + terminal of the battery.

The wire indicated by the green arrow loops back to the same terminal as the yellow arrow wire. This is the sensor wire to tell the regulator how much to charge depending on the battery condition and load.

The wire indicated by the white arrow turns the "idiot light" on and off and goes to the relay panel in the engine compartment.

Here's my relay panel...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521621.1.jpg)

The white star is the power relay. The yellow star is the fuel pump relay. Both of these need to be in place.

The wire indicated by the white arrow goes to ground. This wire "fools" the system into thinking there is a stock ECU in place and allows you to hook up a low pressure fuel pump for the carb in the same spot and with the same wires as the stock high pressure fuel pump.

The wire indicated by the orange arrow is the wire indicated by the white arrow from the alternator. It is the one that turns the idiot light on and off. It hooks to the terminal shown that the voltage regulator used to plug into (now no longer needed since the alternator is internally regulated).

The wire indicated by the white arrow is attached to a switched, non fused, 12V terminal on the relay panel. I am running my electric choke from this terminal.

Other than power to my fans on the radiator in the frunk, I believe these are the only wiring changes I had to make in order to install the V8. (well, there is the rev limiter and the TachAdapt, but those are easy ones)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1569521622.2.jpg)

Nice! beat me to it. Delco 10si alternator is easy to wire if you understand them. same system I used putting that alternator on my tractor, an antique road grader, etc.
It's also available as a one wire alternator by changing the internal voltage regulator. Any starter/alternator shop will set you up either way and sell you that nice GM plug to work with.
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Sep 27 2019, 05:52 PM
Post #77

Awesome guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thank you so much. This is what I was looking for. I won't be able to work on it until next week but I am sure that I will run into more questions with this project.
Looking forward to putting in some of our new solid State relays. Once Mark is done with them, I will get you guys some. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Matty900
post Oct 11 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #78

So I took the car out for a few fall photos today and I have a pretty good leak in the Radiator. It has already been repaired at least once. Looking for recommendations. Repair it again or just replace it. If so, what do you recommend for a replacement radiator? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 12 2019, 07:53 AM
Post #79

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

love the engine bay pic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) especially the iron manifold and cool distributor.

why the spacer under the carb?

+Quote Post
boxstr
post Oct 12 2019, 08:10 AM
Post #80

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Matt if your radiator is leaking I would think about replacing it with one from Rengade.
I think it’s from Ron Davis. You can buy directly from him.
Craig at V8914
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 04:23 PM