Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to contact PCA to show support for 914SIG, PCA Disbanding 914 Special Interest Group
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 26 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

good point, just to give you an idea, when we moved the seven 914s into PCNA for the 50th celebration, there was just brief talk about the 914 and then the rest of the chat was about brumos racing and 911s that were actually moving out. Truly slighted by the officials. Then again, Porsche did not make the 914 but they sure made the 911 and still make it in some form today, so those old 911s promote sales of the new ones, while the "poor" 914 promotes nothing for them, the car manufacturer. We just have to shrug our shoulders (as I did that day) and accept reality.

At least the cars look good on display there

QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 26 2019, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 26 2019, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Porsche's future is with SUV's, sedans and, ultimately, electric versions of those vehicles.

Our cars (and those of us over 50) are not their target demographic. 914's are as alien to Porsche as old rotary phones are to telecom workers. There is no money in it nor any future. How many 914's survive compared to all the other Porsche models out there? Our numbers barely register.

It's not about the people...it hasn't been for a long time. It's about the money. The latest Panorama mentioned record membership growth and revenue is THREE time greater than it was just eight years ago. Sure, at the regional PCA level it may be about the people. But, at the corporate level it's about the money. Porsche (and PCA) will target the up and coming virtue signalling millennials with disposable income who will buy EV's. Very few of us have the income to buy a Taycan and those of us who do have that income don't have the desire. We are not the target audience.

It's up to forums like this to keep the 914 alive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I learned long ago not to chase people who aren’t interested in me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 26 2019, 11:49 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 26 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #23

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 26 2019, 11:50 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 26 2019, 12:01 PM
Post #25

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Maybe we need to think about getting our own insurance....

Car club event insurance:

https://heacockclassic.com/collector-cars/e...show-insurance/

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/business-...rance/car-clubs

https://americanspecialty.com/programs/motorsports

https://protectyournonprofit.com/chapter-cl...liability-plus/

These are some of the examples out there.
+Quote Post
Jamie
post Sep 26 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 26 2019, 10:01 AM) *

To acquire insurance as a group event we may have to organize as a club, with officers such as a secretary/treasurer to operate a checkbook account. I would really hate to see Okteenerfest die, it's such a good gathering and resource for our crazy car gang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) I nominate Bob for president!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 26 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #27

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 26 2019, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:34 PM) *

Porsche's future is with SUV's, sedans and, ultimately, electric versions of those vehicles.

Our cars (and those of us over 50) are not their target demographic. 914's are as alien to Porsche as old rotary phones are to telecom workers. There is no money in it nor any future. How many 914's survive compared to all the other Porsche models out there? Our numbers barely register.

It's not about the people...it hasn't been for a long time. It's about the money. The latest Panorama mentioned record membership growth and revenue is THREE time greater than it was just eight years ago. Sure, at the regional PCA level it may be about the people. But, at the corporate level it's about the money. Porsche (and PCA) will target the up and coming virtue signalling millennials with disposable income who will buy EV's. Very few of us have the income to buy a Taycan and those of us who do have that income don't have the desire. We are not the target audience.

It's up to forums like this to keep the 914 alive.

As I posted on the other thread, To be clear...PCNA is in no way associated with PCA or the 914 Register Group. PCNA is Porsche Cars North America. They are a company. They sell new cars and quite honestly make zero money off of us 914 owners (ok, I do buy my oil filters from the local dealer for the race car but...) PCA is the club, and the register groups fall under PCA.

We can sit and discuss all we want about how we have a great community here and "who needs PCA anyway"....but...when it comes down to the insurance for the event, 914world is not going to provide that - PCA does. And without that insurance, there is no Okteenerfest...or at least I am not involved.

I am well aware that PCA is not part of PCNA. Nor, have I advocated anyone dropping their PCA membership. I’m not dropping mine. But, I joined PCA because of my 911’s. I would have never joined if I only owned 914(s). What I am saying is that it is unrealistic to expect much, if any, interest from either organization in the 914. The 914 was not a good fit in the Porsche portfolio 50 years ago. It’s even less so now.

PCA will expend the vast majority of its resources chasing new members. What are those new members buying? SUV’s and sedans with a smattering of sports cars. Do I blame them? Absolutely not. We, as 914 owners, need to be realistic in where we fit in the overall organization. Which, realistically, may be even lower than the 924 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I hope that PCA will continue to provide us insurance coverage for future 914 events. But, to expect more than that may be unrealistic. We are not the future and I’m okay with that that.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Sep 26 2019, 12:17 PM
Post #28

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 26 2019, 01:09 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 26 2019, 10:01 AM) *

To acquire insurance as a group event we may have to organize as a club, with officers such as a secretary/treasurer to operate a checkbook account. I would really hate to see Okteenerfest die, it's such a good gathering and resource for our crazy car gang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

I agree. According to the info on 914World, we have 21,703 members. If only 25% of them (5426) are willing to join an official club, and pay dues of $50.00/year (same dues as PCA), we would be able to generate $271,287.50 per year of income. We could keep it simple, and just use that for Insurance and subsidy for the events like Okteenerfest, Red Rocks Classic, and the West Coast Ramble.

We would need to recruit officers for the LLC, file the paperwork, hire a lawyer (unless we have a member here that is a lawyer and can be persuaded to do this pro bono), and a number of other legal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) necessary to pull it off.

Pick the idea apart... please.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 26 2019, 12:41 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

OK help me out. Is all this about insurance?

Yes, I sign the insurance sheet at Okteenerfest. What does that mean? Don't we all have our own insurance? Car and maybe umbrella liability?

Does the law consider 60 cars and 100 people at Okteenerfest as 1 entity? So if some driver wrecked, killed someone or totaled something, would we all be labial as 1? We are not currently "a club", just a group of people with the same type of car.

Just asking, I am an engineer not a risk manager.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Sep 26 2019, 12:43 PM
Post #30

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 26 2019, 02:41 PM) *

OK help me out. Yes, I sign the insurance sheet at Okteenerfest. What does that mean? Don't we all have our own insurance? Car and maybe umbrella liability?

Does the law consider us 60 cars at Okteenerfest as 1 entity? So if some driver wrecked, killed someone or totaled something, would we all be labial as 1? We are not currently "a club", just a group of people with the same type of car.

Bob explained it at Okteenerfest by giving an example but I probably couldn’t do it justice. Hopefully, he’ll chime in.
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 26 2019, 12:44 PM
Post #31

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 26 2019, 02:09 PM) *
To acquire insurance as a group event we may have to organize as a club, with officers such as a secretary/treasurer to operate a checkbook account. I would really hate to see Okteenerfest die, it's such a good gathering and resource for our crazy car gang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Correct

QUOTE(Jamie @ Sep 26 2019, 02:09 PM) *
I nominate Bob for president!

No chance in hell
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Sep 26 2019, 12:51 PM
Post #32

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

Yes, I sign the insurance sheet at Okteenerfest. What does that mean? Don't we all have our own insurance? Car and maybe umbrella liability?

Does the law consider 60 cars and 100 people at Okteenerfest as 1 entity? So if some driver wrecked, killed someone or totaled something, would we all be labial as 1? We are not currently "a club", just a group of people with the same type of car.

From my understanding, if you wreck your 914 at an event, YOUR insurance covers it, not the PCA. If you run over someone's dog and that person sues, PCA coverage would kick in. Also protects the event organizers from lawsuits.

@naro914 Bob knows the details much better than I do.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 26 2019, 12:52 PM
Post #33

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073

In a nutshell, When you sign the waiver, you are waving your right to hold PCA, it’s officers, other participants and the event organizers liable for any incidents in exchange for being totally covered for liability.
Say for example you lose a wheel while driving, veer off and hit someone on a motorcycle and kill them. The family sues you, me, PCA, PCA officers, the guy following you...everyone. Our insurance covers everything...attorneys, expenses, even any losses in the event there is a loss (assuming no gross negligence like you were drunk or something)

You’d be surprised how many times PCA gets sued for incidents that occur...and the most are on driving tours.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 26 2019, 01:10 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 26 2019, 12:52 PM) *

In a nutshell, When you sign the waiver, you are waving your right to hold PCA, it’s officers, other participants and the event organizers liable for any incidents in exchange for being totally covered for liability.
Say for example you lose a wheel while driving, veer off and hit someone on a motorcycle and kill them. The family sues you, me, PCA, PCA officers, the guy following you...everyone. Our insurance covers everything...attorneys, expenses, even any losses in the event there is a loss (assuming no gross negligence like you were drunk or something)

You’d be surprised how many times PCA gets sued for incidents that occur...and the most are on driving tours.

Yes, I do remember that discussion now. Thanks

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 26 2019, 01:43 PM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So do they need to “support” 914’s for the event to buy the insurance? Or is it just a transaction - money=insurance, whether or not they acknowledge the car.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 26 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #36

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

I hope PCA listens and we can resolve this. We certainly need more friends and allies in this life rather than fewer.

P.S. If I worked at PCA and a bunch of folks mentioning 914world were emailing me... you betcha I'd be here watching. Don't even need to register to check out The Garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)
+Quote Post
scottthephotog
post Sep 26 2019, 02:18 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 22,667
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 26 2019, 01:17 PM) *

I agree. According to the info on 914World, we have 21,703 members. If only 25% of them (5426) are willing to join an official club, and pay dues of $50.00/year (same dues as PCA), we would be able to generate $271,287.50 per year of income. We could keep it simple, and just use that for Insurance and subsidy for the events like Okteenerfest, Red Rocks Classic, and the West Coast Ramble.

We would need to recruit officers for the LLC, file the paperwork, hire a lawyer (unless we have a member here that is a lawyer and can be persuaded to do this pro bono), and a number of other legal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) necessary to pull it off.

Pick the idea apart... please.

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 26 2019, 02:48 PM) *

I hope PCA listens and we can resolve this. We certainly need more friends and allies in this life rather than fewer.

P.S. If I worked at PCA and a bunch of folks mentioning 914world were emailing me... you betcha I'd be here watching. Don't even need to register to check out The Garage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hide.gif)

It would be great if PCA could work this out. If they don't, I'd totally join an official 914 club. You guys are way more fun.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 26 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #38

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rusty @ Sep 26 2019, 04:48 PM) *

Manny Alban is a member here. He’d tell you I have no problem criticizing PCA. Larry Sharp is the Zone Rep for Zone 7 and he is a member here. Vu is a Facebook friend and seems 914 friendly. I wouldn’t quit PCA over this, but my local region is always very glad to see me and 914 attendance is growing.
+Quote Post
preach
post Sep 26 2019, 02:49 PM
Post #39

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

http://914.pca.org/

I like it here better.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Sep 26 2019, 03:52 PM
Post #40

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(preach @ Sep 26 2019, 04:49 PM) *
http://914.pca.org/

I like it here better.

As we all know, the 914 community is thriving... both here and on the many Facebook groups.
If a PCA SIG's existence was based on online activity alone, then there would be very few left...well, maybe only ONE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
911 SC & Carrera 3.2 - Facebook
911 Carrera 3.0 1976-77 - PCA vB forums, 41 members, inactive
912/912E - Informational site with link to Facebook
924/931 1976-1982 - 924Board.org forum, very active
968 - informational web site, abandoned?
996 - informational site with unused forum
Boxster - PCA vB forums, 3428 members, 123 active members, somewhat active?
Cayman - PCA vB forums, 4487 members, 408 active members, not very active
Early 911 Registry - PCA vB forums, 90 members, 8 active members, basically inactive
GT3 / GT2 / GT3 Cup - PCA vB forums, 3451 members, 315 active members, inactive
PCA Club Coupes - WP site, WP forums, inactive
RS America - informational web site, last updated 11/2018
Wide Body/Turbo Look (M491) - Facebook

Of the three Facebook "groups", two don't look very active at all while the third has minimal activity.
John D'Angelo is Advocate of the PCA Club Coupes SIG (only 60 of those cars produced (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) and that forum is INACTIVE!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:54 AM