Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Subaru/Porsche engine connection?, Where can I find info?
Jamie
post Jun 30 2005, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

My nephew(Subaru RS) tells me there a boxer engine in his ride- where can I find info about the relationship (if there is one?) between these 2 engine series? I noticed that there are visual similarities while working on his car recently but don't know any history?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 30 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

there is no "connection"...the only thing the Subarus and the Porsches have in common is the layout of the engine, both being a flat 4 or flat 6

the subaru motor is based on a copied version of a VW Bug Type I motor converted to watercooling
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jun 30 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

lots of cars use the boxer design, and have for about a hundred years.

even some Ferraris called their flat engines boxers, although AFAIK, they weren't, they were actually 180-degree V engines...

i don't think there is any direct connection between the Subaru engine and Porsche.

OTOH - Porsche has licensed AWD technology from Subaru for the Carrera 4's front drive.

we have an all-Boxer fleet: 1 Porsche 4, 3 Porsche 6's, 1 Subaru 4, 1 Subaru 6.
technical footnote: a Boxer engine is a flat engine with pair of cylinders 180-degrees apart. in operation, they move toward another, then away. this does tend to compress the air in the crankcase when the pistons move toward one another at high speeds and there can be a fair amount of air moving around inside the engine in operation. but it makes for very smooth operation.

in a V-engine, pairs of cylinders share a crankpin. in a flat V engine, such as Ferrari's 312, the cylinders move back and forth in pairs, always the same distance apart (since they are both on the same crankpin...)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Jun 30 2005, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 30 2005, 12:37 PM)
lots of cars use the boxer design, and have for about a hundred years.

even some Ferraris called their flat engines boxers, although AFAIK, they weren't, they were actually 180-degree V engines...

i don't think there is any direct connection between the Subaru engine and Porsche.

OTOH - Porsche has licensed AWD technology from Subaru for the Carrera 4's front drive.

we have an all-Boxer fleet: 1 Porsche 4, 3 Porsche 6's, 1 Subaru 4, 1 Subaru 6.
technical footnote: a Boxer engine is a flat engine with pair of cylinders 180-degrees apart. in operation, they move toward another, then away. this does tend to compress the air in the crankcase when the pistons move toward one another at high speeds and there can be a fair amount of air moving around inside the engine in operation. but it makes for very smooth operation.

in a V-engine, pairs of cylinders share a crankpin. in a flat V engine, such as Ferrari's 312, the cylinders move back and forth in pairs, always the same distance apart (since they are both on the same crankpin...)

I believe the Testarossa engine was an actual boxer layout. The 312 F1 engine from the 70s was a 180d Vee, though. The 512BB (Berlinetta Boxer) I'm not sure on, despite the moniker.

BMW and Citroen also used the boxer layout of twins, BMW only on bikes, Citroen on the 2CV series of cars. Both were also air-cooled, but there was no connection with VW or Porsche there, either.

Didn't the Subaru 360 also use a boxer layout?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Jun 30 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #5

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

here is a funny fact the suby 2.7 six and the porsche 2.7 6 have the same exact specs on the pistons and connecting rods. i mean the are interchangeable the piston pin hieght, crank end bearings everything matches.

+Quote Post
3d914
post Jul 4 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

That is interesting!

I'd be interested to also know the difference in price for the two engines?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:46 PM