Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cheap cheap cheap 914 visor set, since there has been so much discussion
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 10 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

Since there has been so much discussion about 914 sun visors I thought I would chime in. Foe a while now, we have been selling our factory look set for 275 new complete with clips and pass mirror and drivers map pocket. They will pass the concours inspection.

However we also sold a cheap alternative. Map pocket but no mirror, heat seamed but not a matching grain to the original. Come with left and right clip, but no center clip (914 rubber makes a nice center clip if you need one. But here it is: The price for two is only 99.50. If you have no visors and a driver 914 these are for you. If you have a concours car, or an original nice nice car they are NOT for you. Look at these yourself and decideAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 10 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Oct 10 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

I have to admit I just got a set of these from AA two days ago.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Oscar
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 10 2019, 12:48 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-914-Sun...914731044S.html

club group buy until Sunday oct 13th 2019
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 10 2019, 01:03 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

So these are for "driver" 914s. Can I still buy them, even if my car isn't drivable? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I kid... and I ordered a set.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 10 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

at least as you sit in your non running 914 dreaming of the day it will once again be running, you can keep the sun out of your eyes!!! (LOL)
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 10 2019, 12:03 PM) *

So these are for "driver" 914s. Can I still buy them, even if my car isn't drivable? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
I kid... and I ordered a set.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 11 2019, 07:06 AM
Post #7

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Dang. Couple months ago I bought a set of rebuilt visors on Ebay that, while new rebuilds, were not as nice and did not come with the mounting hardware that these seem to have. Wish I had waited - but at least my car has visors again.
Zach
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 11 2019, 08:15 AM
Post #8

914 Guru

The real stupid thing is that Porsche just before they discontinued them, was selling them for 321 EACH and the vinyl grain was not that of a 914 but rather an 88 911! Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.
I even volunteered to consult with them about what SHOULD be made as I know what quality parts are already out there, but all I hear from them is a bunch of chatter. They are doing it as a ploy to try to reign in some of us who are disenchanted thinking that they care about us and that that caring will translate into us buying one of their new models!
I have a meeting with them in the next couple of weeks and we will see what will happen
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Oct 11 2019, 08:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Great! Glad to hear it and please do keep us/me informed (via post or PM). A General Manager of the local Porsche "Vintage" program lives down the street. He'd be glad to get some feedback.
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2019, 10:15 AM) *

The real stupid thing is that Porsche just before they discontinued them, was selling them for 321 EACH and the vinyl grain was not that of a 914 but rather an 88 911! Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.
I even volunteered to consult with them about what SHOULD be made as I know what quality parts are already out there, but all I hear from them is a bunch of chatter. They are doing it as a ploy to try to reign in some of us who are disenchanted thinking that they care about us and that that caring will translate into us buying one of their new models!
I have a meeting with them in the next couple of weeks and we will see what will happen

+Quote Post
johnhora
post Oct 11 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 107

Those are nice George....a driver 914 needs good ones that work.
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Oct 11 2019, 05:22 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,876

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,
Do these attach to the center support like the originals? That is, there is a little internal clamp in the visor and an external screw to tighten the clamp and secure the visor to the center support?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1570836169.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Oct 12 2019, 10:07 AM
Post #12

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 11 2019, 07:15 AM) *

Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was recently perusing a couple of Porsche Classic's "Originale" volumes & was struck by the parts they were choosing to reproduce. Probably they started with the low hanging fruit (IE stuff they still had molds, dies & tooling for) rather thatn the items that may actually be used or drying up in the channels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Oct 12 2019, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

That's because there are plenty of brand-whores who will buy it because it has the "P" word stamped on it. I think most of our vendors here, 914Rubber, Tangerine Racing, PMB, etc do it better and cheaper.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 12 2019, 11:08 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

yes Dick.

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 11 2019, 04:22 PM) *

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,
Do these attach to the center support like the originals? That is, there is a little internal clamp in the visor and an external screw to tighten the clamp and secure the visor to the center support?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-20876-1570836169.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Oct 12 2019, 11:13 AM
Post #15

914 Guru

Dead on. They also find things in some of their remaining warehouses, and then advertise them as new vintage. Case in point left only brick weave door panels, and black 72-74 back pads. I know for a fact that these two items were new old stock they just found, and did not remake, but are advertising them as new additions to their VINTAGE program

And then there is their 914 factory manual set reprinted only from photos of the old one so not crisp and clear, and NO COLORED WIRING DIAGRAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 12 2019, 09:07 AM) *

Porsche is making a big deal of their "vintage" program, but what they come up with are not parts that anyone really needs, the remade parts are not identical to the originals, and they are outrageously priced.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I was recently perusing a couple of Porsche Classic's "Originale" volumes & was struck by the parts they were choosing to reproduce. Probably they started with the low hanging fruit (IE stuff they still had molds, dies & tooling for) rather thatn the items that may actually be used or drying up in the channels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 12 2019, 11:48 AM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 12 2019, 12:07 PM) *

I'm not sure if that's the case, just because so many of the parts are nothing like the original. I think Porsche has the same problem that most industries have. They send one set of specs to have made and the manufacturer makes the part the way they want, not what Porsche wants.
+Quote Post
913B
post Oct 15 2019, 06:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,983

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 12 2019, 12:08 PM) *

yes Dick.

QUOTE(DickSteinkamp @ Oct 11 2019, 04:22 PM) *

@dr914@autoatlanta.com

George,

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

Just received my set, but there is no opening for the center pivot pin on the visor. It is sealed up. Am I supposed to just poke it through myself ??

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
mtndawg
post Oct 15 2019, 09:08 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 9,985

I just ordered a set. I’ve been driving without shades for months.
+Quote Post
DickSteinkamp
post Oct 16 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,876

@dr914

I just received my set also. No holes for the center mount pins. I called and was told that I should punch my own. Is this actually the process? It is tough to figure out exactly where they should go and with my luck I'll be slightly off center and the vinyl will start to tear there.

Any hints?
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 16 2019, 03:11 PM
Post #20

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Close to where the old ones were unless the substructure is different...I guess
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:21 AM