Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> headlight problem, move steering wheel and hi/low beam starts to switch
cooper1340s
post Oct 18 2019, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,227
Region Association: South East States

I replaced the stock steering wheel in my 76 914 with a MOMO wheel and adapter. Now I notice that my headlights go from low beam to high beam and back again as I turn the steering wheel in either direction. I also noticed that the blue light indicating high beams no longer works. When steering wheel is stationary, the high/low switch works intermittently. Any ideas about this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Oct 19 2019, 09:14 AM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Switch is on the column. So I'd start looking there as you were just there. Look for any indication that what was installed is wearing on something. check the switch visually. If not probably a wire. My money is problem is in the column from what you said. Usually if it happens after you have done something it's something you just did. Occasionally random things happen, but it's a start.

Try putting the old wheel back and see if it still occurs.
+Quote Post
morsmanlaw
post Mar 14 2020, 11:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,308
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 19 2019, 10:14 AM) *

Switch is on the column. So I'd start looking there as you were just there. Look for any indication that what was installed is wearing on something. check the switch visually. If not probably a wire. My money is problem is in the column from what you said. Usually if it happens after you have done something it's something you just did. Occasionally random things happen, but it's a start.

Try putting the old wheel back and see if it still occurs.

The same thing happens with mine. I have the OEM steering wheel. Turning can act the same as pulling on the headlight dimmer stalk. An old Pelican thread (2002) recommended checking the connection pins in the steering column. I'll start there.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 15 2020, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

check that the 4 slot head screws under the wheel that hold the switches in are not making contact with housing and that the screws are tight.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 08:51 AM