Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally picked up my new 73 2.0 with 63k original miles, Hell hole fixed. New battery tray installed & a New pair of shoes
76-914
post Dec 21 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #21

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 21 2019, 05:20 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Oct 22 2019, 09:44 PM) *

63k original miles

I'm just curious - how does one verify the odometer reading is actually original miles? without another digit on the odometer, there's no way to tell if the mileage has rolled over at least once. you have all the documentation from when the car was brand new?

When it is that low you can check out the rubber wear on the brake/accl pedals. Should be minimal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Dec 21 2019, 05:47 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Oh come on now, with that Ansa exhaust and that wing you'll get every ricer wanting to race you...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 21 2019, 07:18 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 21 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Oh come on now, with that Ansa exhaust and that wing you'll get every ricer wanting to race you...

Yeah that exhaust needs to go as well. I'll be on the lookout for a banana
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Dec 21 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,986
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 21 2019, 02:08 PM) *

When it is that low you can check out the rubber wear on the brake/accl pedals. Should be minimal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

if only it was that easy. pedal pads are easily changed for brand new ones
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 22 2019, 12:58 AM
Post #25

914 Guru

Well there is a little rust hole in the hell hole. Didn't start poking it to see how weak it is around it. So that is a bummer. Battery tray most likely has a hole. Was a metal inset int he bottom of that I also wasn't able to see below the battery. I'll pull the rockers off this week & make sure it isn't a ton worse. The jack post looks & feel solid. There are no holes in the bottom. Both front & rear trunks are in great shape with no rust. I'll try to post some pics of the interior. There is one aftermarket gauge in the center console. Turned the motor over a few times just to see. I'll spray some carb cleaner in the top of the carb. See if I can get it started & see what issue the motor had.

Overall still happy with the purchase. I figured I would find some rust eventually. Seems like I do remember seeing that small hole when I committed to buy it. My memory sucks. LOL!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Dec 22 2019, 05:31 AM
Post #26

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 21 2019, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Dec 21 2019, 03:47 PM) *

Yeah that exhaust needs to go as well. I'll be on the lookout for a banana

@JRust I can always help you out on my type 4 mufflers when your ready.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 4 2020, 01:13 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Well battery tray was worse than expected as is the hell hole. Definitely will need some work. Longitude looks good as does the jack point. Still worse than I anticipated but far from catastrophic.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Jan 4 2020, 09:02 PM
Post #28

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looks like your going to keep the rust from gain a larger foot hold. Please pull the back wall mat. They could be a nightmare in hiding.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 4 2020, 09:45 PM
Post #29

914 Guru

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 4 2020, 07:02 PM) *

Looks like your going to keep the rust from gain a larger foot hold. Please pull the back wall mat. They could be a nightmare in hiding.

Good point. It will come out this week. I'll be pulling the motor/trans to prep for the rust repair. Hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of the month. Already ordered the battery tray from Restoration Design.
For the hell hole repair how thick is the metal there? Want to be sure to use the same for the patch
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 5 2020, 02:17 PM
Post #30

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jmitro @ Dec 21 2019, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 21 2019, 02:08 PM) *

if only it was that easy. pedal pads are easily changed for brand new ones
The comment was in relation to a that car that only has 63K on the clock. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) It should have the OEM pads on the pedals. If they look new then yes, I'd be suspicious. If the car was over 100K I certainly wouldn't suggest that method.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 6 2020, 11:16 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Damn I hate some things with 914's. One is just about every 914 I have bought the previous PO has managed to strip the CV bolts out completely. Maybe not everyone but damn. Buy the proper tool. 6 of the 16 were not so bad & I got them with the right torque bit. Oh & there was actually a 13mm bolt in one of cv's on the wheel side (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . I was able to get a couple more with some vise grips. Thankfully they weren't cranked on so tight they broke loose okay. Guess they were to stripped to get very tight. the last one I can't get to budge. I'll have to grind a cut into it so I can get a big flat head screwdriver. Just enough so I can break it loose. Just took a bit tonight to disconnect everything so I can pull the motor/trans this week. Hope to get the hell hole repair started this weekend. Only a little 1/2" hole & feels solid all around the hole. So I'll spend some time cleaning up the area. Plus the battery tray replacement. New one coming from Restoration Design hopefully by the end of the week. The battery tray support is fine just need to get the remnants of the original tray off.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 7 2020, 09:08 AM
Post #32

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Jamie, you might get that last bolt with a plumbing 'basin wrench'. Handier tool than you might think. HF sells them for $6. Most if not all the big box stores sell them too.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 8 2020, 07:51 PM
Post #33

914 Guru

Okay I haven't made any progress the last month. I did manage to pick up a mid-rise scissor lift last week. Finally got it in the garage & under my car. I'll drop the motor tomorrow afternoon if work doesn't screw it up. So glad to have a lift again though. I do need to get a 220 plug added in my garage. It works off 110 but is a struggle

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 9 2020, 02:52 PM
Post #34

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

JRust - I thank God everyday for making a residential mid-rise scissor lift (mine is a BendPak). It makes being in the garage working on the cars a true joy. Laying on the ground is for the young guys, that's for sure. My knees and back just could not take it anymore.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 9 2020, 03:24 PM
Post #35

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 9 2020, 12:52 PM) *

JRust - I thank God everyday for making a residential mid-rise scissor lift (mine is a BendPak). It makes being in the garage working on the cars a true joy. Laying on the ground is for the young guys, that's for sure. My knees and back just could not take it anymore.

Absolutely. I had a bend pak previously. Didn't lift quite a high as this one. WAs a bit smaller end to end so guess that makes sense. I got this one off FB for 1k. It's a harbor freight one but I like it overall I think. I need to see once I get the 220 hooked up. It struggled off 110
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 7 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #36

914 Guru

Finally got a bit of time today. Got the drivetrain dropped without a problem. Hell hole had a small hole. Was fairly thin by the firewall & I pulled out the thin stuff. It's about an inch wide & 3" long. Also my jack post itself was solid but the mount had near the bottom. I cut out the outer portion & definitely some rust through. Figure I need to cut into the long a bit to take out the rusted section. Really is solid above. Really debating completely stripping this car to bare metal. Just hate to do it. The bottom of the car is in great shape. Other than the bit of hell hole. I've got just a bit in the front trunk channel the seal sits in. It will clean up though.

I really was hoping to just shoot the outside of the car & maybe the trunks. Didn't want to remove the interior at all as it is so nice. Seems like removing them sometimes i get cracks that were never there before. Door jams are all good as well. Anyway take a look at the carnage

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 7 2020, 09:54 PM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Trying to resist a complete tear-down? Good luck!

(But you should look under the carpets, especially under the seats.)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 8 2020, 03:27 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Mar 7 2020, 07:54 PM) *

Trying to resist a complete tear-down? Good luck!

(But you should look under the carpets, especially under the seats.)

Yeah did that & I am good. Also the firewall is good. Engine pad out & there was just a bit of surface rust on passenger side in engine bay. Probably more glue from the pad than actual rust. Cleaned up fine. The wall by battery tray is still really solid. Just the hell hole which certainly could be worse. It's worse than I can see inside I am sure but I think it will be smaller patches to fix. Not a big section of the longitude.
+Quote Post
cary
post Mar 20 2020, 09:47 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608

I concur with Jamie this is the best virgin hell hole I've ever seen. Yesterday I thought
it had been done before. But once I could get in close. What I thought was a cold weld
was a wad of seam sealer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

BEFORE :
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

AFTER CUT OUT :
Attached Image

DOWN INTO LONG :
Attached Image

AFTER MORE TRIMMING AND SERIOUS DOSE OF OSPHO :
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 21 2020, 08:09 PM
Post #40

914 Guru

That is great news Cary. Appreciate the quick work in & fix. Can't wait to see it. Just realized I forgot one of the trunk hinges was buggered. I've got the replacement here but if you have time to work some magic. I'm good with you cleaning that up too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:39 AM