Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> right light does not come up revisited bought multi meter, 1974 914 1.8
brcacti
post Oct 24 2019, 03:12 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, I bought a multimeter to check the current to the headlight, current was fine then I moved the gray wire, was very cramped and it broke off. I turned on the headlights and touched the broken wires together and the light DID COME UP. .........BUT............ how do I connect the very tiny wires together? what kind of electrical connection to use or solder it together?Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Oct 24 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that, but if there's anywhere nearby that sells electronic components you can probably get away with buying a "1N4001" diode to solder in its place, they're DIRT CHEAP if you buy them in bulk, but you shouldn't pay more than a few bucks for a 5 pack at the most expensive.

If you do decide to solder a replacement in, they ARE directional, so make sure the white stripe faces the proper direction, in this case the white stripe goes on the opposite end of the wire.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1571969340.1.png)

Edit: What year is yours anyway? I just checked the motor on my '75 and the diodes are inset into a small plastic clip to hold them safely in place... oh it's in the topic title, '74. I can read.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 25 2019, 02:09 PM
Post #3

1974 914 1.8

It did have a one inch long black rubber sleeve covering it will try different covers when I get it connected.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 25 2019, 03:47 PM
Post #4

1974 914 1.8

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 07:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that, but if there's anywhere nearby that sells electronic components you can probably get away with buying a "1N4001" diode to solder in its place, they're DIRT CHEAP if you buy them in bulk, but you shouldn't pay more than a few bucks for a 5 pack at the most expensive.

If you do decide to solder a replacement in, they ARE directional, so make sure the white stripe faces the proper direction, in this case the white stripe goes on the opposite end of the wire.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i.imgur.com-18880-1571969340.1.png)

Edit: What year is yours anyway? I just checked the motor on my '75 and the diodes are inset into a small plastic clip to hold them safely in place... oh it's in the topic title, '74. I can read.

Thanks I will try soldering the old diode first, if it does not work then will buy new one probably online, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
+Quote Post
lierofox
post Oct 25 2019, 03:58 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,880
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 25 2019, 02:47 PM) *

Thanks I will try soldering the old diode first, if it does not work then will buy new one probably online, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

With how it's broken off, it may be unable to be repaired without replacement, don't feel disappointed if it won't bond with solder. Best of luck though!
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 25 2019, 07:03 PM
Post #6

1974 914 1.8

Yeah, you're probably right, I think I will order some diodes just in case found smaller quantities on line for $5.39 shipping included.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 25 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 10:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Although I'd go further and say you cannot solder that diode. The actual diode body is damaged and must be replaced.

I buy all my components from Digikey or Mouser. Here's the 1N4001 at Digikey for 10 cents. They have 65000 of them in stock.

1N4001 At Digikey

When you put this back together you can use the existing diode leads to solder the new diode to. Cut off the existing diode at its body and twist the new diode's leads to the old one.

You can put shrinkwrap tubing over the new diode but you'll need to uncover about 4 inches of wire to use the tubing as the tubing must be slid onto the wire before soldering. The tubing must be far enough away from the soldering to not start shrinking while you solder. You could always use electrical tape if you can't get shrinkwrap tubing on the wire.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Oct 26 2019, 09:59 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 25 2019, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 10:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Although I'd go further and say you cannot solder that diode. The actual diode body is damaged and must be replaced.

I buy all my components from Digikey or Mouser. Here's the 1N4001 at Digikey for 10 cents. They have 65000 of them in stock.

1N4001 At Digikey

When you put this back together you can use the existing diode leads to solder the new diode to. Cut off the existing diode at its body and twist the new diode's leads to the old one.

You can put shrinkwrap tubing over the new diode but you'll need to uncover about 4 inches of wire to use the tubing as the tubing must be slid onto the wire before soldering. The tubing must be far enough away from the soldering to not start shrinking while you solder. You could always use electrical tape if you can't get shrinkwrap tubing on the wire.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) new component needed.

- Tony
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 26 2019, 10:26 AM
Post #9

1974 914 1.8

Yeah, I ordered 100 of them PLUS free shipping for $4.85
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:29 PM