Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: right light does not come up revisited bought multi meter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brcacti
Hello, I bought a multimeter to check the current to the headlight, current was fine then I moved the gray wire, was very cramped and it broke off. I turned on the headlights and touched the broken wires together and the light DID COME UP. .........BUT............ how do I connect the very tiny wires together? what kind of electrical connection to use or solder it together?Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
lierofox
That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that, but if there's anywhere nearby that sells electronic components you can probably get away with buying a "1N4001" diode to solder in its place, they're DIRT CHEAP if you buy them in bulk, but you shouldn't pay more than a few bucks for a 5 pack at the most expensive.

If you do decide to solder a replacement in, they ARE directional, so make sure the white stripe faces the proper direction, in this case the white stripe goes on the opposite end of the wire.

IPB Image

Edit: What year is yours anyway? I just checked the motor on my '75 and the diodes are inset into a small plastic clip to hold them safely in place... oh it's in the topic title, '74. I can read.
brcacti
It did have a one inch long black rubber sleeve covering it will try different covers when I get it connected.
brcacti
QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 07:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that, but if there's anywhere nearby that sells electronic components you can probably get away with buying a "1N4001" diode to solder in its place, they're DIRT CHEAP if you buy them in bulk, but you shouldn't pay more than a few bucks for a 5 pack at the most expensive.

If you do decide to solder a replacement in, they ARE directional, so make sure the white stripe faces the proper direction, in this case the white stripe goes on the opposite end of the wire.

IPB Image

Edit: What year is yours anyway? I just checked the motor on my '75 and the diodes are inset into a small plastic clip to hold them safely in place... oh it's in the topic title, '74. I can read.

Thanks I will try soldering the old diode first, if it does not work then will buy new one probably online, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
lierofox
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 25 2019, 02:47 PM) *

Thanks I will try soldering the old diode first, if it does not work then will buy new one probably online, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

With how it's broken off, it may be unable to be repaired without replacement, don't feel disappointed if it won't bond with solder. Best of luck though!
brcacti
Yeah, you're probably right, I think I will order some diodes just in case found smaller quantities on line for $5.39 shipping included.
Spoke
QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 10:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that...

agree.gif

Although I'd go further and say you cannot solder that diode. The actual diode body is damaged and must be replaced.

I buy all my components from Digikey or Mouser. Here's the 1N4001 at Digikey for 10 cents. They have 65000 of them in stock.

1N4001 At Digikey

When you put this back together you can use the existing diode leads to solder the new diode to. Cut off the existing diode at its body and twist the new diode's leads to the old one.

You can put shrinkwrap tubing over the new diode but you'll need to uncover about 4 inches of wire to use the tubing as the tubing must be slid onto the wire before soldering. The tubing must be far enough away from the soldering to not start shrinking while you solder. You could always use electrical tape if you can't get shrinkwrap tubing on the wire.
Retroracer
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 25 2019, 07:58 PM) *

QUOTE(lierofox @ Oct 24 2019, 10:09 PM) *

That's a diode and it's broken off at the body of the diode itself. You'd have a difficult time resoldering that back together like that...

agree.gif

Although I'd go further and say you cannot solder that diode. The actual diode body is damaged and must be replaced.

I buy all my components from Digikey or Mouser. Here's the 1N4001 at Digikey for 10 cents. They have 65000 of them in stock.

1N4001 At Digikey

When you put this back together you can use the existing diode leads to solder the new diode to. Cut off the existing diode at its body and twist the new diode's leads to the old one.

You can put shrinkwrap tubing over the new diode but you'll need to uncover about 4 inches of wire to use the tubing as the tubing must be slid onto the wire before soldering. The tubing must be far enough away from the soldering to not start shrinking while you solder. You could always use electrical tape if you can't get shrinkwrap tubing on the wire.

agree.gif new component needed.

- Tony
brcacti
Yeah, I ordered 100 of them PLUS free shipping for $4.85
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.