Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tracking the 914 - Happy New Year!, Turning this into a regular thing...
BillJ
post Jan 14 2022, 06:15 AM
Post #201

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

Yep i did the test fit last night and felt good with no hitting anywhere so pretty happy about that. I have the pedal cluster coming from Brad Stone and PMB redid my calipers and sending new lines. New MC is prepped on the bench for when that all arrives. Will need to do final fitment when i put the pedals back in.

My car is only track so i dont get concerned on being subtle with it. Putting in some historic placements and brands but not really copying a particular car.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to my fellow black.6!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jan 14 2022, 12:13 PM
Post #202

Member No.: 2,922

@infraredcalvin So my motor is a 3.2 with DC40 cams. 9.5:1, enlarged heads, about 275hp is my guestimate based on a similar 3.2 I saw dynoed pulling about 250hp at the wheels (~290hp crank) it was just running slightly larger headers and intake ports.

my carb settings-

• 46mm PMO carbs, 38mm vents
• 160 mains (give 12.8-13.4 afr wot max, @68f air temp) , (170 mains give 12.0- 12.6 afr WOT)
• 190 air
• F11
• 55 or 60 idle, 1.76mm IAC

Its tuned to be rich at idle (like 11:1), otherwise the transition to the main jets isn't smooth. Probably could tune that out but plan to go ITB by the end of the year (have the kit already).

I normally run a magnaflow 2in 2 out muffler for best performance. I have Ben's sport muffler on at the moment it is a great muffler, but it had slightly less performance than the magnaflow. Looks more 914-6 gt original though.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jan 14 2022, 12:18 PM
Post #203

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 14 2022, 04:15 AM) *

Yep i did the test fit last night and felt good with no hitting anywhere so pretty happy about that. I have the pedal cluster coming from Brad Stone and PMB redid my calipers and sending new lines. New MC is prepped on the bench for when that all arrives. Will need to do final fitment when i put the pedals back in.

My car is only track so i dont get concerned on being subtle with it. Putting in some historic placements and brands but not really copying a particular car.

Anyway just wanted to say hi to my fellow black.6!

Hey Bill how tall are you? I have been looking for a good 914 race seat solution that doesnt wack my head on the roof with a helmet on. I am 6' tall. So far the only thing I like is a stock 914 seat or I test fitted my kirkey 55 series 16" wide from my Exocet.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 14 2022, 02:27 PM
Post #204

I am 6 ' and i had a few inches to spare. Was not bad at all. My upper roll bars curve tight along the roofline so that helps a lot. My seat is using side mounts bolted to 914 rails with custom adjuster bar acriss the front.
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Jan 14 2022, 03:28 PM
Post #205

QUOTE(BillJ @ Jan 14 2022, 12:27 PM) *

I am 6 ' and i had a few inches to spare. Was not bad at all. My upper roll bars curve tight along the roofline so that helps a lot. My seat is using side mounts bolted to 914 rails with custom adjuster bar acriss the front.

Thanks for the tips. Is it this seat-
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-9666...jBoCaewQAvD_BwE
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Jan 14 2022, 04:17 PM
Post #206

Yes that is the one. Please buy from Bob @naroescape though. He is a member here.

https://naroescapemotorsports.com/
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Feb 6 2022, 09:34 PM
Post #207

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

No track time, but spending some time at the track with some heavy hitters.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jun 1 2022, 12:39 AM
Post #208

Distracted Member

Ugh, long time no post! Cars been running well, I’ve got a few projects ahead of finding my lost hp, one involves finishing the old race car and getting her sold - but that’s for another thread…

Working on a few projects to finally make the new one mine. Last week at Streets of Willow it got well into the mid to high 80s, we also had some long, 40 min sessions with only 20 min downtime between, so she was running a bit warm. The existing fan works well enough to keep her under or at 100 C (212 F) on the street with spirited driving on a 90 deg day. But with no shroud, and this ridiculous fan setup, it too much for the track.

Attached Image

The fan looks t be from an old large appliance, but it sits on the edge of the cooler, with about .5 to .75 inch gap between the cooler and the edges of the fan housing. It’s also larger than the surface area of the cooler.

I feel a couple of flush fitting spal 5.2 in fans would work and look much better. And with each pulling 342 cfm, I should get plenty of air sucked through the fan vs around it.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jun 5 2022, 09:08 AM
Post #209

Distracted Member

Old one out, two new ones in.

Attached Image

Just need to make and install a pigtail. The PO had wired the old fan to the rear defrost switch, no reason to change at this point.

Much cleaner (and lighter) set. Next comes shrouding….
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jun 6 2022, 02:31 PM
Post #210

Member No.: 6,985

For a track car, I'd argue that ducting, and making sure the hot air has an exit from the trunk, will be more effective than fans.

The main advantage for fans is in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Once you're moving, ducting air to the cooler will be a lot more effective.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Jun 7 2022, 07:14 AM
Post #211

Distracted Member

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Jun 6 2022, 01:31 PM) *

For a track car, I'd argue that ducting, and making sure the hot air has an exit from the trunk, will be more effective than fans.

The main advantage for fans is in stop and go traffic on a hot day. Once you're moving, ducting air to the cooler will be a lot more effective.

Agree with you 100%, I still do drive the car on the street, but reducing the bulk of the fan will aid in my future shrouding plans. Also, all the tracks out here are technically in the desert, I’ve run Fontana in over 115 degree heat on the track, I like the extra measure of control for cool down.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 26 2022, 09:45 PM
Post #212

Distracted Member

I need to revitalize this thread, been messing around with the 930 and doing a little work on the old race car lately…

Yesterday I did The Distinguished Gentleman’s Drive in support of prostate cancer prevention and mens suicide prevention. I haven’t used the 930 much because of some bad oil leaks. But I did a valve adj (the new valve seals cured most of the major leaks) and an oil change, then preceded to drive a total of 250 miles in 85/90 degree weather over sat and sun. I’d say she ran like a champ… driver was a bit sweaty all dressed up though.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 26 2022, 09:49 PM
Post #213

Distracted Member

Aside from my buddy’s GT350, my 930 proved to be the big bad bully of the group, but there was a 912E in the group, he stayed towards the back of the pack…

Attached Image

Overall, it was a fun group, definitely needed a 914 in the group… maybe next year…
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 26 2022, 11:14 PM
Post #214

Distracted Member

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled content…

Last drive home on the uhaul trailer, my front spoiler broke off, I’ve been toying with going to a gt front valance and taking off the 5 inch? Rear spoiler from the deck lid.

Overall I’m looking for better top end speed to close the gap to the gt3s in the club. I’m headed to Chuckwalla raceway on the 7th…. Thoughts?

Also going to try no muffler. See if I feel any gains without. Pipes are about 10-12” short of the rear fascia, anyone see any problems with just running open vs getting some trumpets to extend beyond the fascia?

+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Sep 27 2022, 07:25 AM
Post #215

It's best to get a pair of trumpets. Without them you'd lose out on the scavenge effect of having a tailpipe after the collectors. Might even be worse than the muffler ...

18" is a good compromise length for the straight pipes.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 27 2022, 07:36 AM
Post #216

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The motors really like a cross over for torque

I Dyno’’d straight open pipes back to back with my current system and gained 14 ft lbs when the banks came together

Not sure you could see the difference without using a dyno
Seat of the pants…. Your brain will hear the noise difference, but only a dyno will measure it
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Sep 27 2022, 09:10 AM
Post #217

True about the crossover. it can be a connecting pipe, or the merged, center exit GT3 style that everyone likes now. Or just bolt on the pipes to enjoy the noise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

One other thing, open exhaust usually requires a small jet change to account for the freer flow. It's usually enough to keep it simple and just increase main jets 1-2 sizes.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 27 2022, 01:48 PM
Post #218

Distracted Member

QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Sep 27 2022, 08:10 AM) *

True about the crossover. it can be a connecting pipe, or the merged, center exit GT3 style that everyone likes now. Or just bolt on the pipes to enjoy the noise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

One other thing, open exhaust usually requires a small jet change to account for the freer flow. It's usually enough to keep it simple and just increase main jets 1-2 sizes.

Thanks for the confirmation on jets, I was ready for that. Was hoping to test out on the track, but without trumpets doesn’t sound too smart so I’ll wait…
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 27 2022, 04:31 PM
Post #219

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I’ve got a pair of mega phones I need to sell soon

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Sep 28 2022, 02:49 PM
Post #220

Distracted Member

Dammit, bunch of enablers here... LOL

@Brant just left you a pm...

OH and before i forget again, what's the opening at the flange side measure?
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:11 PM