Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tracking the 914 - Happy New Year!, Turning this into a regular thing...
infraredcalvin
post Mar 21 2023, 01:04 PM
Post #241

Distracted Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks, the whole rig is a friends, the trailer is HUGE, I shouldn't need it this week, but I like having the power, shade and AC that comes with...

I'm still looking for an open trailer - wish that trailex in the classifieds with the green track car was closer...

Attached Image

As for black car, yes, I love it, it brings out the Darth Vader in me. Original color is light ivory, I’m torn with going back at some point, but that’s not for a while…
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Mar 21 2023, 02:07 PM
Post #242

Member No.: 15,610
Region Association: None

I.have EXACTLY the same scenario. Originally white now black.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 24 2023, 12:17 AM
Post #243

Distracted Member

Wow, The Thermal Club really lived up to the hype, had a great track day today!

Attached Image

We were the anomaly out there today, most of what they have is new hardware, we had a pre war sprint car, the Samson 911 RSR, 2 speedsters, a 356 abarth, a sunbeam tiger and my 914-6. Obviously Samson took the title for the fasted lap, but the 914-6 captured 2nd (with some coaxing from Samson)…

Attached File(s)
Attached File  trim.D1B1E0F9_CC93_43FE_86CB_DC80972FC8D3.MOV ( 981.92k ) Number of downloads: 63
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Mar 25 2023, 07:35 AM
Post #244

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

Congrats on a fun outing and I agree you've got a sweet truck/trailer rig! If I ever start tracking my car regularly again I'd love to get a small enclosed trailer. Have had my same old beater open one for 20 years now.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Mar 26 2023, 05:46 PM
Post #245

Distracted Member

Not sure if I mentioned previously, but my wife and kids got me a Garmin Catalyst for Xmas, I took it out to Thermal with me for the first time… the track configuration we ran was not in the device, so I set up an new track and let the gps do its thing. I was getting data right away. While it’s not going to tell you where to shave seconds of your lap times, it does pick out the spots where you could shave off tenths. Below is my fastest lap, of course it was the one when I was being coaxed by Samson…. I was overdriving the car and missed several turn-ins and apexes, I was diving deep to try and shave distance between me and Samson…. The catalyst picked these up and identified them as “opportunities”… Cool gadget, I’ll keep messing with it, three’s more functions I haven’t even used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwE8XTUApJ4
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 6 2023, 11:59 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 2,922
Region Association: None

Cool! I just got a catalyst last year, they are great and super simple to use, love it. Seems like your 914 could beat that Samson with more practice, but I am sure just getting it out was a blast!
+Quote Post
Charles Freeborn
post Apr 11 2023, 09:24 AM
Post #247

Member No.: 17,377
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a fun track. Way out of my leaguel / budget...
The Catalyst is a neat unit. I've got several friends that run them. I'm still stuck in the AiM solo camp, as I have numerous friends that use them and we share data files that we can overlay to see where one of us is faster (or slower) than another in specific areas we want to work on. I think the Catalyst can do the same.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Apr 12 2023, 07:55 AM
Post #248

Distracted Member

Justin, yeah, not so sure about that, he’s holding back a bit, he runs a lap time about 5-6 sec fastener. He did say he was surprised I could keep up as well as I did. He’s also got big fat Avon slicks vs my r888rs, but yes there’s a few seconds there for me… hopefully next time I’ll be a bit closer..

Charles, for sure out of my budget too, nice to be a guest though! We were messing with the different functions, I like the real time feedback, it’s definately designed for the hobbyist/novice-intermediate track day enthusiast. I’m lucky to have been to a few racing schools and have access to some great coaches, anything the catalyst found I had already mentally picked up on, the difference between this lap and the optimal lap was less than a second, I was expecting it to find a few seconds…

I’m not knocking it, and I’d love to shave a sec off my lap times, but it’s only as good as the driver, and it does identify and help develop consistencies…
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:57 PM