Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 1.7 Carb issue, Cold start up, stumbles after full throttle.
Jamie Harris
post Oct 28 2019, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,596
Region Association: None

I have a 74 with a 1.7 engine and a 32/36 carb. The gas tank has been removed and sealed, the fuel lines/filters replaced, new fuel pump and the carb has been rebuilt. I do not think I have the correct jets installed. The engine runs fine as long as I stay out of the throttle - as soon as I go full throttle in 4th gear, it seems as though that the engine is running out gas. I can wait a little bit of time and the car will recover and will run better.

I am asking if anyone knows what size jets I should be running? If its easier, you can call me at 2197431808

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 28 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Jamie,

even after you re-jet you will likely have some stumbling problems

the single carb systems use the stock long intake runners that allow the fuel to drop out of atomization on their way from the carb to the combustion chamber....

a lot of folks with single carbs have had the problem for ever

and thus the reason the dual carbs work so much better... short intake pathway

additionally so many of these cars had the distributor changed to the VW application bosch 009 when they took the FI off and put carbs on.

that distributor (you may or may not have) is really the wrong curve and also creates flat spots during acceleration

I'm just sharing the distributor part in that... you should see what you have on your car and even jetting may or may not fix all of your problem
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Oct 28 2019, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Sounds like you are running out of fuel,have you checked the float level ?.
Did you replace the fuel lines under the tank ?,make sure you don't the suction hose kinked over or pinched somewhere.
Is the pump delivering the right pressure ?,I would start buy checking all these things.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
Jamie Harris
post Oct 29 2019, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 23,596

QUOTE(brant @ Oct 28 2019, 03:14 PM) *

Jamie,

even after you re-jet you will likely have some stumbling problems

the single carb systems use the stock long intake runners that allow the fuel to drop out of atomization on their way from the carb to the combustion chamber....

a lot of folks with single carbs have had the problem for ever

and thus the reason the dual carbs work so much better... short intake pathway

additionally so many of these cars had the distributor changed to the VW application bosch 009 when they took the FI off and put carbs on.

that distributor (you may or may not have) is really the wrong curve and also creates flat spots during acceleration

I'm just sharing the distributor part in that... you should see what you have on your car and even jetting may or may not fix all of your problem

Excellent info, thank you for the response.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 07:52 PM