Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 1.7 Carb issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie Harris
I have a 74 with a 1.7 engine and a 32/36 carb. The gas tank has been removed and sealed, the fuel lines/filters replaced, new fuel pump and the carb has been rebuilt. I do not think I have the correct jets installed. The engine runs fine as long as I stay out of the throttle - as soon as I go full throttle in 4th gear, it seems as though that the engine is running out gas. I can wait a little bit of time and the car will recover and will run better.

I am asking if anyone knows what size jets I should be running? If its easier, you can call me at 2197431808

Thanks!
brant
Jamie,

even after you re-jet you will likely have some stumbling problems

the single carb systems use the stock long intake runners that allow the fuel to drop out of atomization on their way from the carb to the combustion chamber....

a lot of folks with single carbs have had the problem for ever

and thus the reason the dual carbs work so much better... short intake pathway

additionally so many of these cars had the distributor changed to the VW application bosch 009 when they took the FI off and put carbs on.

that distributor (you may or may not have) is really the wrong curve and also creates flat spots during acceleration

I'm just sharing the distributor part in that... you should see what you have on your car and even jetting may or may not fix all of your problem
porschetub
Sounds like you are running out of fuel,have you checked the float level ?.
Did you replace the fuel lines under the tank ?,make sure you don't the suction hose kinked over or pinched somewhere.
Is the pump delivering the right pressure ?,I would start buy checking all these things.
Good luck.
Jamie Harris
QUOTE(brant @ Oct 28 2019, 03:14 PM) *

Jamie,

even after you re-jet you will likely have some stumbling problems

the single carb systems use the stock long intake runners that allow the fuel to drop out of atomization on their way from the carb to the combustion chamber....

a lot of folks with single carbs have had the problem for ever

and thus the reason the dual carbs work so much better... short intake pathway

additionally so many of these cars had the distributor changed to the VW application bosch 009 when they took the FI off and put carbs on.

that distributor (you may or may not have) is really the wrong curve and also creates flat spots during acceleration

I'm just sharing the distributor part in that... you should see what you have on your car and even jetting may or may not fix all of your problem

Excellent info, thank you for the response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.