Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> safty ratings on the 914?, How safe are thes cars
rfp
post Jul 1 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,321

Before I go piling my self or loved one in a 914 I was wondering if any one knows what safety reports have been done or where I could find one.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 1 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/lol2.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)

oh god, that's a good one ...

ok, better now...

honestly, the brakes are way ahead of their time, and they are much more rigid in an accident than one would expect... i'd say in the average, under 50 crash(with anything but a big SUV) you will probably live.. the car may not... there have been some accident pictures on here... and thankfully, the drivers usually walked away. I wouldn't call the 914 the safest car on the road though... first time you pass a pickup or SUV and you can see what oil filter brand they choose, you'll know why.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Jul 1 2005, 08:33 AM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

I just installed an air bag in the passenger side....I took A-ron for a ride.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JohnM
post Jul 1 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #4

914 enduro driver

Member No.: 2,387

I don't know about safety reports (did the industry care about that in the 70's?) but I know first hand that they have good front and rear crumple zones-- as long as what hits you doesn't go over the top of front or rear end. Partly into '73 model year they put a cross beam in doors for US cars. Anybody test the stock roll bar yet? Oh ya and some will tell you to regularly practice flaming vehicle escape drills due to the plastic fuel lines. John
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jul 1 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #5

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have seen a car that did a roll over at 120 on the brainard international track during a PCA event by an elderly driver, was totally surprised at how well the cabin stayed in tack, the driver survived the accident, but had a heart attack as the result of it.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 1 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #6

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)

Chappy, is that avatar another one of your postage stamp paintings? Do you have an online gallery of your stamp work? I've seen your golf stuff, but those turkeys blew me away. I want to see more of that kind of stuff.

-Ben
+Quote Post
post Jul 1 2005, 10:20 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 988

Safer than a motorcycle, not as safe as a miata..

-best thing to do if you get/have one is,

1. go through the brakes, make sure they are 100%-stock brakes that work correctly will do the job just fine.

2. put decent tires on the car and go through the suspension, wheel bearings, tie rods-make sure you have good components in there so the car handles properly.

3. Learn how it handles, drive the damn thing, and figure out how it handles in accident avoidance situations.

-I put 10k miles highway miles on mine over the last 2 summers and felt pretty safe, but sure, if you get rear ended by an suv it's tires could end up in your lap...

+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Jul 1 2005, 10:24 AM
Post #8

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 1 2005, 06:30 AM)
I wouldn't call the 914 the safest car on the road though... first time you pass a pickup or SUV and you can see what oil filter brand they choose, you'll know why.

that's so funny , cause it's true.

as long as you don't get broad sided by anything larger than a yugo, or rear ended by anything with 4 wheel drive, you might live to tell about it.

the crumple zones on these cars are really good (at least from the pictures i've seen), but the problem is, the front end serves as more of a wedge (or ramp) with the height of all the new bummprs these days.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 1 2005, 10:27 AM
Post #9

2270 club

Member No.: 218

Don't worry. After you get a 914 you learn to drive like everybody is out to get you. It turns out that they can't see you so they are out to get you. It really makes you a better defensive driver. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
olav
post Jul 1 2005, 10:31 AM
Post #10

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 34

If your car is Signal Orange then you're safe (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
messix
post Jul 1 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #11

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

thats true about defensive driving. you do drive a 914 like your riding a motorcycle as far as watching and anticipating traffic and other drivers. and stay out of others peoples blind spots.

just because its not as safe in impacts as lets say a five star rated mini van is no reason not to get a 914 and enjoy it.
+Quote Post
rfp
post Jul 1 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,321

QUOTE (JohnnyX @ Jul 1 2005, 07:16 AM)
Oh ya and some will tell you to regularly practice flaming vehicle escape drills due to the plastic fuel lines. John

plastic fuel lines That sounds like one of the first things anyone would want to replace. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

A bright color definitely sounds like a good idea. I can Just see a semi's trailer crossing over and take one these cars out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

There aren't any instances of gas tanks exploding in head on collisions or is that well protected?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Jul 1 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

originally, Consumer's Report, idiots that they are, rated it "marginally acceptable" because in their slalom test they were able to make it {GASP!} oversteer. (basically, they're happy with any vehicle that requires ocean-going tugboats to turn in any direction...)

they put more air in the rear tires and were able to complete the tests without further soiling themselves.

the front and rear crumple zones work, the Targa rollover protection works, and the articulated steering column works. somewhere around 1973 the doors got intrusion beams.

but basically, cars of this vintage are from a time when accidents were meant to be avoided, not survived.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 1 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #14

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

From practical, first hand experience.

The only 2 wrecks I have had in my wholde driving lifetime have been in a 914 that was sitting still. Both times I was hit by a 3/4 Ton Ford Pickup.

The first time a drunk in a 3/4 ton ford pickup rear ended me at a stoplight. He left the perfect impression of a ford push bumper and his LICENSE PLATE!! I ended up with a bruise from the seat belt. He ran from the scene. I was able to follow him until he got to his house. Cops were less than a minute behind me. He jumped from the truck and ran inside the house. Cops showed up and he answered the door in a towel dripping wed. Claimed he was taking a shower. He was not arrested, but I was able to sue him due to the impression of his license plate in the rear deck lid of my 914.

Second time an elderly gentlemen in a 3/4 ton ford pickup decided halfway through a right hand turn he wanted to go straight and not turn. He ended up driving into the left side of my 914. Ended up with a damaged fender, door, door post and a broken windshield. The targa top came off and flew into the grass next to the road. I got out and called the cops from the pay phone 3 feet away from the scene of the accident.

My conclusion is that a 914 is a tough little car. Both times I walked away without a scratch.

BTW.. the car in both wrecks is the one I am doing a /6 conversion on. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
I have a weird attachment to that car. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 1 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #15

2270 club

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (rfp @ Jul 1 2005, 11:18 AM)
plastic fuel lines That sounds like one of the first things anyone would want to replace. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

A bright color definitely sounds like a good idea. I can Just see a semi's trailer crossing over and take one these cars out. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

There aren't any instances of gas tanks exploding in head on collisions or is that well protected?

Plastic fuel lines are fine - probably preferable since they are flexible. Most newer cars today come with plastic fuel lines.

The exploding gas tank is mostly a Hollywood myth. But in any case, the 914's gas tank is well protected.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Jul 1 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #16

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

after 30 years, do you REALLY want to risk it? really? it might cost $30 in fuel lines and a day to put them in...
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Jul 1 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,432

i think the main fuel problem was the cloth covered rubber hoses splitting and you cant tell, cus their covered.
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Jul 1 2005, 04:16 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,697

Keep the spare wheel up front at all times, it's of great help in case of a front impact. Also if your gas tank explodes from an accident you're allready waiting in line to go to heaven or hell.

I thought most engine fires started actually in the engine compartment not due to the plastic lines and that's why there has been a recall.

Edit: if you need pictoral description, PM me with your e-mail.
+Quote Post
machina
post Jul 1 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 848

at least they tested it.

If your worried about safety, don't get a 914. Modern cars, even the small ones have years of R&D in terms of safety etc.

The 914 does seem to preserve the cabin well in front or rear impacts and the later cars have door bars but this is a small car built and designed with '60s technology.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
redshift
post Jul 1 2005, 04:22 PM
Post #20

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I feel perfectly safe driving one, but then again, I've only *come very close* to dying 10,000 times... hello truck!

M
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:36 AM