Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad?, 1974 914 1.8
brcacti
post Nov 8 2019, 01:16 PM
Post #1

1974 914 1.8

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello, any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad? I have a multimeter, am slowly learning how to use it
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Nov 8 2019, 01:53 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457

Hard to test broken plastic key way, short of pulling it out of column.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Nov 8 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

Look over a wiring diagram and then test for power out of the switch at the different key positions.
The plastic housing cracks but the normal symptom of this failure is the starter circuit does not get power when the key is turned to the start(crank) position.

Jim
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 8 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #4

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I can sorta test the switch; a hot start relay is installed , the hot start relay is also wired to a switch in the engine bay. With key “on”, the engine bay switch will start the motor. That helps narrow down the possibilities
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Nov 8 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 11:16 AM) *

Hello, any simple tests to see if ignition switch is bad? I have a multimeter, am slowly learning how to use it

Visual inspection.

Arcing across the contacts

Wear and wallowing of the plastic

Cracks in the plastic body....at this point it is a goner.

It's simple to remove and look at.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 8 2019, 03:57 PM
Post #6

1974 914 1.8

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 8 2019, 02:26 PM) *

I can sorta test the switch; a hot start relay is installed , the hot start relay is also wired to a switch in the engine bay. With key “on”, the engine bay switch will start the motor. That helps narrow down the possibilities

I do have a hot start relay installed. Could I turn the key and check for juice on the relay?
Would that be an accurate way to test for it?
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 8 2019, 04:13 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

what is the car doing?

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 12:16 PM) *

+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 8 2019, 04:53 PM
Post #8

1974 914 1.8

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 8 2019, 03:13 PM) *

what is the car doing?

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 8 2019, 12:16 PM) *

Intermittent cranking, I ordered a new ignition switch from your company, I wanted to have it if needed or not right now.
+Quote Post
914sgofast2
post Nov 8 2019, 07:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,855

I just replaced my ignition switch that was randomly failing for over a year and making me crazy. It was making a bad connection internally, and sometimes the fuel pump would shut off, making the car act as if it weere running out of gas. Other times the hot wire going to the points/coil would go dead and kill the motor. If I jiggled the ignition key in the switch, it would re-start.
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 8 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #10

1974 914 1.8

QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Nov 8 2019, 06:40 PM) *

I just replaced my ignition switch that was randomly failing for over a year and making me crazy. It was making a bad connection internally, and sometimes the fuel pump would shut off, making the car act as if it weere running out of gas. Other times the hot wire going to the points/coil would go dead and kill the motor. If I jiggled the ignition key in the switch, it would re-start.

How hard was it to replace ignition switch?, you're talking about the white plastic end part right? I have sanded MANY hot and ground connections on the car.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 8 2019, 11:11 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

It’s not fun.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 9 2019, 07:16 AM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Directions.

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Remove the steering wheel.

3. Get under the dash and disconnect the wiring to both the ignition switch and the turn signal/wiper plugs.

4. Remove the 4 screws in the turn signal/wiper switch assembly and gently pull the whole assembly to you.

5. Remove the two big flat head screws in the column holding in the ignition switch.

6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn until it is in the run position.

7. Pull gently on the key and the ignition switch assembly should come out. DON"T FORCE IT.

8. Once the switch assembly is out, you will find a small, recessed flat head screw on the side. Remove the screw, then you can pull out the electrical portion of the ignition switch assembly.

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. (I always wanted to say that!!!)

+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 21 2019, 07:41 PM
Post #13

1974 914 1.8

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 9 2019, 06:16 AM) *

Directions.

3. Get under the dash and disconnect the wiring to both the ignition switch and the turn signal/wiper plugs.

4. Remove the 4 screws in the turn signal/wiper switch assembly and gently pull the whole assembly to you.

5. Remove the two big flat head screws in the column holding in the ignition switch.

6. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn until it is in the run position.

7. Pull gently on the key and the ignition switch assembly should come out. DON"T FORCE IT.
Thanks Clay, is it hard to LOCATE the ignition and wiper/turn signal wires when doing the new ignition switch?
8. Once the switch assembly is out, you will find a small, recessed flat head screw on the side. Remove the screw, then you can pull out the electrical portion of the ignition switch assembly.

+Quote Post
brcacti
post Nov 21 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #14

1974 914 1.8

Directions.

Thanks Clay is it hard to locate the wiper/ direction, ignition switch wires to unplug when changing out the ignition switch, repost, as I put the question into the quote on my last post
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 23 2019, 02:41 PM
Post #15

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(brcacti @ Nov 21 2019, 07:45 PM) *

Directions.

Thanks Clay is it hard to locate the wiper/ direction, ignition switch wires to unplug when changing out the ignition switch, repost, as I put the question into the quote on my last post

Not really. If you look up through the bolt holes for the steering column on the bottom of the knee pad, you will see the plugs. You should be able to pull them off from behind the knee pad easily. Getting them aligned going back together is usually the hard part. If you can't quite get it, then remove the knee pad to provide more access to the plugs.

If you have A/C, all bets are off on this. Betty's car has A/C, and I have to reinstall the plugs with a pair of needle nose pliers up through the steering column bolt holes. It is a royal PITA to do, but I would rather do that then drop the A/C unit. The plastic on it is approaching 50 years old, and getting really brittle.

Make sure you do this before you put the steering wheel back on. That gets you some extra clearance to get upside down under the dash.

Also, if you are a big guy, you may need to remove the driver's seat for more room.

Good Luck!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:32 PM